PDA

View Full Version : Disney DP - The #'s

DisneyFr33k
11-07-2010, 07:19 AM
We just got back last weekend froma 5 day stay at WDW. For the second year in a row, we've be lucky enought to receive the free Dining Plan (1 table, 1 quick meal, 1 snack), which obviously is a great deal. All we paid for was tips.

However, if we had paid out of pocket, I don't think this plan really saves money. See below:

5 nights for 4 adults (kids are 11 and 13, a shame to have to pay for them as an adult) at $41.99 would come to a total of $839.80 for 5 days.

I saved all receipts for meals and snacks and the total came to $1005.91 (not including tips).

The different came out to be around $160.

We paid over $120 in tips, so this brings the diffence of ony $40.

If we had to pay for the dining plan, we would probably not chose this plan for several reasons:

The cost doesn't make sense (per above).
The quick service plan would save more money overall - I did the math if we had that plan, and we would save over $170 - and we don't have to fork over more money for tips.
Last, but most important, we wouldn't feel sick! We ate entirely too much. We aren't used to that amount of food in one day. The food is good, but we just are so stuffed, we weren't comfortable.

Just thought I'd share the math. If offered free dining again, that is a no-brainer. But if we had to pay, the numbers speak for themselves.

Strmchsr
11-07-2010, 08:13 AM
The difference is $160. You had to pay tips both ways, so don't include that in your math.

You said that "free" dining is a no brainer-that's not really accurate if you're interested in saving. You can pay for your dining OOP and get a room discount that is as good or better than the "free" dining discount and save considerable money. Disney keeps offering the "free" dining discount because people lap it up, but they are actually making money off of it. When you get "free" dining you're actually paying full rack rate for your room. Would the room discount have saved your more than $160? Probably. Also, you figured up what your total was eating on the DDP. Would you actually eat that much if not on the DDP? That's another source of savings. So, I would say crunch the numbers on the "free" DDP and you might find a different discount to be much better. We did for January.

mickeymousedabomb
11-07-2010, 08:34 AM
We've done the dinig plan the last 3 times of our trips. We obviously feel we saved or we wouldn't have chosen to do it again repeatedly. The last 2 Thanksgiving trips we chose the Dlx plan. Although it's alot of food, if you space out adr's and counter services with enough time in between, it's not so bad. We will be choosing this again for our up coming 2012 trip. And hopefully it'll be free dining again like last time and just pay the difference for the dlx. Can't wait!!

badkitty
11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Last, but most important, we wouldn't feel sick! We ate entirely too much. We aren't used to that amount of food in one day. The food is good, but we just are so stuffed, we weren't comfortable.
[/LIST]

This is this number one reason why the dining plan doesn't work for my family whether it free or not.

DisneyFr33k
11-07-2010, 11:53 AM
The difference is $160. You had to pay tips both ways, so don't include that in your math.

When the dining plan first was out, they included tips. They just removed that "perk"in the past couple years. So that is why I add it into my computations - total money put into food. If we used the quick service dining plan, there would be no OOP.

What you mentioned about raising the room rates makes sense. I'll have to consider that in the future when "deals" are presented. So you think taking to discounted room rates would save more than the free dining?

Since we were beyond full - to the point of pain, we'll have to weigh all this for our next trip.

Strmchsr
11-07-2010, 01:09 PM
So you think taking to discounted room rates would save more than the free dining?

If you ate everything on the DDP, and liked eating that way, whether it's OOP or not, the "free" dining can be a decent discount. Especially if you stay at a moderate. However, it sounds like you're like us. The DDP was too much. We were stuffed and miserable all the time and found we spent much less OOP than our DDP meals cost so the room discount was a better deal by far for us. I would suggest checking with Magical Journeys. They can break down the discount and determine which will save you the most and if you don't enjoy the DDP because of all of the food then the room only is a MUCH better deal.

dmallan
11-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I saved all receipts for meals and snacks and the total came to $1005.91 (not including tips).

I have an off topic question, but still relating to the original post...

We've done DDP twice now and the receipts we end up with are all zeroed out. The only receipt with the actual cost on it is signed by us and taken by the server. Do you ask your server for a copy of that receipt or do you jot down the figures before they take it back?

HoosierDisneyFan
11-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I have read this same or similar post on this forum maybe 100 times. My family loves the DDP for many reasons but I understand that many do not. I can live with that. Cannot we just leave this topic alone and stop trying convince the others that "our view" is correct?

Some love the DDP for the convenience (prepaid meals) and savings. Others hate it for the amount of food (either too much eat or not having an appetizer or both), the inconvenience (having to make ADRs and being on a set dinning schedule) and no savings. Not need to list other reasons for loving or hating the plan (I am sure there are many). They have all been discussed here countless times.

I believe both sides of the debate are correct, just from different view points. If it works for your family, buy the DDP, if it does not don't buy the plan.

Strmchsr
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Cannot we just leave this topic alone and stop trying convince the others that "our view" is correct?

Pretty much every topic on here has been discussed 100 times, but we're constantly getting new people and they haven't participated in the previous 99 discussions so they deserve to have their question answered. If you don't wan to participate in the discussion, then just don't read that thread.

That said, the OP is giving an opinion on whether the DDP is a good value or not. Others have given a response, but not in a negative or nasty way like you see on some board. We don't allow that here. No harm done. So, please don't try to squelch a topic others want to discuss.

DisneyFr33k
11-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I have an off topic question, but still relating to the original post...

We've done DDP twice now and the receipts we end up with are all zeroed out. The only receipt with the actual cost on it is signed by us and taken by the server. Do you ask your server for a copy of that receipt or do you jot down the figures before they take it back?

At our table service restaurants, the did leave a bill with the amount listed for tip purposes. For the counter (quick) services, the amount shows up on the register screen. I memorized that and wrote it down on the receipt (with zeros on it) after getting our food.

DisneyFr33k
11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
ICannot we just leave this topic alone and stop trying convince the others that "our view" is correct?

I am not trying to convice anyone of anything. We've LOVED the DDP and have used it every trip since it included tip in the cost (many years ago). This last time, it just didnt' seem mathematically worth it. I learned a lot from Strmchsr after my initial post. I hadn't considered the room rates being jacked up.

Every person visiting Disney looks for different things to make their experience the best for them and their family. What makes my trip magical may not make anothers.

That's why I love Intercot - you all help those with things like this. I feel like you all always have my back! Thanks!! :rocks:

DisneyFr33k
11-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Pretty much every topic on here has been discussed 100 times, but we're constantly getting new people and they haven't participated in the previous 99 discussions so they deserve to have their question answered. If you don't wan to participate in the discussion, then just don't read that thread.

That said, the OP is giving an opinion on whether the DDP is a good value or not. Others have given a response, but not in a negative or nasty way like you see on some board. We don't allow that here. No harm done. So, please don't try to squelch a topic others want to discuss.

Thanks, Strmchsr. I understand when other Intercotees feel like topics are being :beat:. But it is good advice everyone, myself included, to just :shake: and move on to a more interesting post.

Gator
11-07-2010, 06:01 PM
If all I did was save $1, then the DDP is worth it. Of course, I always save over $100 each trip. Me and my wife like the idea of having a good sit down meal each day - kinda like being on a cruise without being stuck on a wobbly ship.

On our honeymoon, we at two table services and felt we'd "fast-fooded" ourselves to death. The next trip, we ate at four table services and really liked the feeling of slowing down. Since then, it's been the DDP. Yes, there's been days I felt I over ate, but for the most part it makes me feel like I'm on a real vacation and not a road trip filled with burgers and chicken strips.

rubato
11-07-2010, 09:33 PM
My free dining this January is definately not free. I don't like the plan, but, am going to take advantage of it this trip and then, never use it again. We are doing a moderate, so the room discount wouldn't be as much as if we were at a deluxe. We are doing every character meal available, except CRT, in order to make our 11 year old son happy and then, next time, we'll stay deluxe with a fabulous room discount and pay oop for everything including lots more signature dining. Our son just wanted one more trip with characters. These are expensive meals that we can get for 1 credit. When I figured it all out, we were getting 6 nights of the dining plan for $300 over what we could have gotten the discounted room and cheaper tickets for (we would normally just get the room through disney and get our tickets elsewhere). Could the 3 of us eat for less than that? Yes, and normally we would. But, not if we do character dinners.

Just my opinion. :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
11-08-2010, 06:25 AM
My free dining this January is definately not free. I don't like the plan, but, am going to take advantage of it this trip and then, never use it again. We are doing a moderate, so the room discount wouldn't be as much as if we were at a deluxe. We are doing every character meal available, except CRT, in order to make our 11 year old son happy and then, next time, we'll stay deluxe with a fabulous room discount and pay oop for everything including lots more signature dining. Our son just wanted one more trip with characters. These are expensive meals that we can get for 1 credit. When I figured it all out, we were getting 6 nights of the dining plan for $300 over what we could have gotten the discounted room and cheaper tickets for (we would normally just get the room through disney and get our tickets elsewhere). Could the 3 of us eat for less than that? Yes, and normally we would. But, not if we do character dinners.

Just my opinion. :mickey:

Good point. It is really about what you are looking for and you seemed to have number crunched and compared what you are getting. I'll be doing a better job of that next time. :thumbsup:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-08-2010, 12:43 PM
We never thought we'd use the DDP again, especially after they took the tips and appetizers out of the benefit. My wife and I said from now one we'd take the room discounts. However, that was before we added 3 dd to our family. Now with free DDP offered and with us being a family of 5, it made more sense for us to pay rack rate at POR and take the free DDP.

Had it just been my DW and I, then I think we would have opted for a room discount at hopefully WL or one of the other deluxes, and that would have been the better value. But with 5 of us, we saved well over $100 a day which made it worth while.

I do agree the DDP can be more food than is needed and that you get stuff that you wouldn't normally buy, so the deal in that sense isn't quite as good, but I also like going down and not looking at the prices on the menu board and getting a heart attack, plus it's all essentially prepaid, so it's nice going down not having to open the wallet or look at the prices when ordering.

But as mentioned several times, there is no "right" answer, it all depends on individual circumstances and tastes. One families value would be anothers waste.

DisneyFr33k
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
One families value would be anothers waste.

Wonderfully put. Your post make total sense. If you have a larger family, it may be more worth it. Or if you have teenagers eating you out of house and home, it would be worth it. I guess it just depends on circumstances!

Disney Hungarian
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I just finished crunching the numbers on my "free dining plan." I am somewhat pleased and surprised. Here is the scenario of my upcoming trip. 2 adults, 5 nights at POFQ with 6 day park hoppers.

If I took the room only discount and added the tickets the cost was: $1192

If I booked the vacation package with the free dining and added the tickets the cost was: $1443.

The "free dining plan" cost $251 more.

I then divided that by 5 (the number of nights) = $50 (that is what I will pre-pay for food on the dining plan.)

So my final conclusion: $50 a day for 2 adults to eat at the parks. That is just $25 each that we will have to eat to make this a good deal. I personally spend way more than that when I buy my food OOP. So for me it turned out to be an awesome deal.:thumbsup:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Your post is a good example of why there is no standard answer to "is it a good deal". You take your exact same scenario but instead of 5 nights at POFQ you switch it to 5 nights at the Poly (which was getting 40% discounts) and you would find that the room only with tickets would have been a much better value for 2 then adding free dining.

I would say in general that if you are choosing a value or moderate resort or if you are a large family, the numbers probably favor the free dining. If you are at one of the deluxes that is offering a 40% discount, then most likely the room discount is the better offer.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
We also find that we save money using the dining plan, but we enjoy having at least one sit down a day....its really not as much food as it was when you also got the appetizer....I wish they would take the dessert away from the counter service meal and charge a little less though because I don't think you need dessert with every meal.

Kaps
11-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Room only is better for small families, Myself being a family of 5 the Free DP saves me more and lets me not worry about the OOP as much.

Ropachs
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey, do you know when the DDP is a REALLY REALLY REALLY good value? When your in-laws are paying for it!

(sorry, couldn't resist...they just told us last night that they are taking care of that.):party::cloud9::thumbsup::number1::clappy:

lovin'fl
11-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey, do you know when the DDP is a REALLY REALLY REALLY good value? When your in-laws are paying for it!

(sorry, couldn't resist...they just told us last night that they are taking care of that.):party::cloud9::thumbsup::number1::clappy:

You lucky dogs!!!:thumbsup:

We are a family of 5 (ages 12 and up) and are DVC owners, so we never get free DDP, but we always do get the DDP. We are going in August and are debating getting the DDP this time. We will have a kitchen to make breakfast and lunch and that is fine, but we love to do table services for dinner. Even though our kids are considered adults, they prefer chicken tenders, burgers, pizza and mac-n-cheese- so I hate to waste adult DDP TS credits on them. And we don't need dessert with every meal, especially if we get a Mickey head popsicle during the day.

kemps@wdw
11-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I agree. If the DP is free...duh! But the quick service plan, sans tips, seems to be the better deal.