PDA

View Full Version : A 1 Day Whirlwind Tour of The World

Scar
11-05-2010, 11:58 AM
When I booked my solo trip in July I decided I needed to do something different that involved planning… I usually just wing it. So I decided to visit all four parks in one day. But I needed a couple of rules.

1. I would do my favorite 3 attractions in all the parks,
2. I would eat and drink at least 1 thing in all the parks.
3. Most important, I would relax and take it slow. No rushing!

The plan I came up with was MK - AK – DHS – Epcot. I needed to work around show times and this was the best plan.

I knew I needed every hour to count so I was up early enough to be at the Boardwalk bus stop by 8:10. I realized I left my cell phone in the room, not that I care about my phone (I really can’t stand cell phones,) but without a clock I would need to bother people so I could time the shows. Oh well. There was a CP CM there with a clipboard and a radio. I had never seen that before, but then again, I try to avoid buses like the plague. I talked to him the whole time I was waiting about how bad the bus system was (I was pleasant about it,) and he pretty much agreed (I’m purposely omitting the date I was there to protect him.) In the 15 – 20 minutes I was there three Epcot buses came, two literally at the same time. He couldn’t believe it either but he told me that he, and the drivers are powerless to change anything. The MK bus finally came and I was off. After stops at the Swan and Dolphin, the driver led all the passengers in a rousing sing-a-long of “The wheels on the bus go round and round.” It was actually quite enjoyable and I joined in. I got to MK in time the see the opening. I had never seen it before and I was impressed, highly recommended.

I took my time walking up Main Street and was very happy that most of the scrims from last time were down. I first went to Pirates and of course there was no line. I took my time going through the queue stopping at all the cannons, guns, etc. to check them out. I had a boat all to myself and it was awesome. No flashes and the boats were moving slower than normal. I then made my way to The Haunted Mansion and walked right into the stretching room. Disappointed, however, to see the refurb walls covering the tombstones. Next up was CoP stopping by to check out the new IaSW queue and the construction walls in Fantasyland. I actually found a spot next to the Poo ride where you can turn in a 360 degree turn and see nothing but walls. I grabbed a water and a Mickey Bar and then watched CoP. Now, here’s where I have to rant. There’s four people in the theater… me back row center, a couple front row left and a solo lady third row slightly right. Then a family of four comes in. The boy sits second row center, his sister to the right of him, the father goes past them but realizes he’s right in front of the lady so he moves about four seats past so he and his wife won’t be in front of her. Well the wife doesn’t get the picture and sits next to the daughter… right in front of the lady! I mean you’ve got the entire theater and your husband clued you in and you still sit right in front of someone!

Anyway, left MK at 10:45 (I know this because there is a clock on Main Street) and decided to take the first bus I saw to a resort near AK. I didn’t feel like going to the TTC and then the AK bus. The one and only time I took a park-to-park bus I had to wait an hour. Went to ASMovies and got in line for AK. Thirty minutes, three Epcot, two Blizzard Beach, and several other buses later, I was on my way to AK. In case I forgot to mention it, I hate the WDW bus system, enough that I’m willing to pay more to stay at an Epcot resort. Got to AK at 11:45 and went straight to Kilimanjaro Safaris. The stand-by was 20 mins and the FP return was 12:35. Hmm… why would anyone stand on line for 20 mins when you can get a FP for only about 10 mins more? Grabbed a beer and a burger (pretty lame burger) in Harambe and headed over to Expedition: Everest. (Did you know that Sir George Everest actually pronounced is name Eve-rest, just thought I’d throw that in there.) Anyway, if I waited 4 minutes in the single rider line, that was a lot. OK now it’s 12:25 (I realized that the rides with FP have clocks,) and I have a dilemma. Flights of Wonder is at 1:00 and 2:00. Do I wait for the 1:00 and go to KS later, or get on KS at 12:35 and try to make it back in time for the 1:00 show. I figure the gamble is worth it so I head to KS. I get into harambe and all of a sudden I get a headache and start to feel out of sorts. I realize I’ve only had one bottle of water all day (did I mention it was record temps in the 90’s) and immediately get one. That did the trick. I get to KS and something must have shut the ride down for a little bit. The stand-by is now 40 mins and the FP line is pretty long. Well, I guess I made the wrong choice but I’m not going to let it bother me. I get out of KS at 1:15 and figure I’ve got some time to waste soooo…. another bottle of water and then the Dawa bar. I have one beer and mosey over to FoW. There’s a guy outside with a huge owl talking about her and answering questions. When everyone goes in I talk to him a little more and check out the owl up close. Pretty cool. FoW was great as usual but I can do without the corny tour guide. I guess it was funny the first time but I want to see more birds. The hawk that flies across the audience actually touched my hair with its wing, which is a feat in itself as there’s not much left.

Now on to DHS. I had hoped to catch either the DHS bus or an Epcot resort bus, whichever came first, but they were on different sides. So, standing at the fork contemplating which one to take, I see the DHS bus pull up. Now, from my experience, typically in the middle of the day buses wait for about 5 mins or so at the parks to get a few more folks on. But of course this one doesn’t and pulls away immediately. I’m at the first stop and step out with my thumb and she just waves. Oh well, I go back to the other side for a resort bus and it’s about 10 mins when a S&D/Boardwalk bus pulls up. First stop is Swan and I get out. There is no boat in sight so I walk towards the Boardwalk and contemplate going back to my room but It’s 3:00 and I really want to make the 4:00 Beauty and the Beast show. So I walk to DHS and get there around 3:20 and grab a FP for Tower of Terror. Then to the single rider line for Rock ‘n Roller Coaster. I could tell something was wrong because they were running empty cars and the wait time at the countdown was longer than normal. I guess I got lucky to ride it because on my return home I read here on Intercot that the ride had been shut down for a few days. On to BatB and I grab a great seat with the theater more than half full (easy to do as a single.) After that I use my FP for ToT. On my way out I enjoy a beer and pretzel with cheese. I see the boat at the dock and the sailor graciously waits for me. I get off at Swan and walk back to Boardwalk and I’m in my room by 5:30, slightly ahead of schedule so I can shower and relax a bit.

I grab my overly charged phone and I’m off to Epcot at 6:50. Too early for Off Kilter at 7:30 so I watch The Fake Beatles (not my top 3 but a bonus.) Then to Off Kilter for another great performance. By the way, I love how they schedule Off Kilter and The Fake Beatles so you can walk back and forth between them and watch them all evening if you’d like. Then to The American Adventure for the 8:15 show. After the show I get a beer and Kafta Pita from Morocco. I watch Illuminations which is by far my favorite nighttime show, although the globe part in the middle is getting boring after 10 years. I love the fact that I’m 6’ tall and can almost always get a good view at the last minute over kids heads that have been waiting for an hour. After the show I walk slowly back to Boardwalk, grab a piece of fudge from the confectionary place and watch one of the performers. By this time it’s after 10:00 and I’m tired from a long day. I slept pretty well that night.

A couple of other notes from the trip.

First time at Boardwalk and it is a beautiful resort. My only complaint was housekeeping. When I checked in the carpet needed an obvious vacuum cleaning, not gross or anything, but still obvious. I figured it would get done the next day. Well, it didn’t so I had to call down to request it. It did get done the next time. Another day they forgot to leave fresh towels. Being solo I had enough left over from the day before, but still.

I rode The Great Movie Ride one day and had Intercot’s own Joanna71985 for the guide. At least I assume it was her unless there’s another Joanna from Intercot that works at DHS. Joanna, if you’re reading this you really did do a great job, I wasn’t just saying that to be nice.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. Got to meet up with one if my lodge brothers on the last day and another friend who lives in the area. It was hot but not as humid as last year so it was bearable. Thanks for reading.

faline
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
congrats on accomplishing your goal and getting to all four parks on the same day!

Disney Hungarian
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
It is comforting to know that I am not alone. Other people do the 4 parks in one day thing too. It is how I like to do Disney. Sounds like you accomplished all of you goals. Well done.:mickey:

Goofeygal
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Sounds like so much fun.

Joannelet
11-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Wow what an amazing accomplishment! :)

Great report!

WDWdriver
11-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Great planning, and an amazing day! Nice report. I really enjoyed reading it.

RedSoxFan
11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
WOW ---- Great Day!!:mickey:

Suz36
11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Congrats on your accomplishment! Sounded like a lot of fun, and it really didn't sound like you were rushed.

pdrlkr
11-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the Report! :balloon:

KylesMom
11-15-2010, 11:17 AM
What a wonderfully planned day. Nice way to handle the "no rushing" part - usually we're in a frenzy if we're trying to get that much done! I gotta say, the hour long bus trip to AK was a bit over the top - I'm certain you handled it a lot better than I would have! Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Cool day...thanks for the report