PDA

View Full Version : International travellers using Magical Express

Grumpy.
11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm wondering when to put the yellow ME tags on our luggage. Reading WDW info for international travellers, it looks like we have to collect our bags upon landing in Orlando, go through customs with our luggage, then return our bags to the airline for delivery to the ME and eventually our resort. If we put the tags on here at home, won't the bags be pulled off the airline and put directly into the ME waiting area? Should we wait and put the tags on after we've gone through customs?
Thanks.

mickeyman42
11-04-2010, 02:43 PM
well I guess we are international (coming from Canada) but we go through US customs in Toronto. we pick up our luggage in TO, go through customs, then put the luggage back on the belt, but we're still in TO at this point. I would think (not knowing the answer) that your luggage would have to be picked up by you before going through customs, go through customs, then I guess you could return your luggage to someone. I'm sure there is a method to do this (cause otherwise they would just tell you to go to ME with your luggage, not giving you the choice of ME delivery right?) but I cant think of what it is

I guess you could just bring your bags with you on the ME or ask someone at the ME counter what to do if you really didnt want to bring them with you.

CleveRocks
11-05-2010, 06:06 AM
I'm wondering when to put the yellow ME tags on our luggage. Reading WDW info for international travellers, it looks like we have to collect our bags upon landing in Orlando, go through customs with our luggage, then return our bags to the airline for delivery to the ME and eventually our resort. If we put the tags on here at home, won't the bags be pulled off the airline and put directly into the ME waiting area? Should we wait and put the tags on after we've gone through customs?
Thanks.
Well, there's no risk in putting those yellow DME tags on your checked luggage. Your luggage will go to the U.S. Customs area before Disney has any access to it whatsoever.

After you clear Customs, there is a "bag drop" option where you can return the bags to the airline's/airport's custody and it will get to DME. However, this is just my personal preference, but if it were me I'd just hang onto my bags at that point and bring them to the DME bus with me.

I love DME. I'm a huge DME cheerleader. And I ALWAYS have them handle my bags (I live in the USA). I LOVE the convenience of not having to wait for my bags and not having to handle my bags. Skipping baggage claim is a convenient perk. But I think if I already had to wait for my bags anyway, the convenience factor totally disappears for me. To me, if I already had to wait for them, I might as well just hold onto them,

Just my 2 cents ....

Patricia
11-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Actually, they do give you the tags and leave it to you to decide if you can use them.

Being on the west coast, I always end up being unable to use the tags at all. I just keep my bags and take them on ME with me. Not as handy, but I do have my bags immediately.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Never having flown to Orlando, I'm probably not the best one to answer this, but I thinking that when I've flown to other US airports (from YYZ in Toronto), you clear US customs in Toronto.

When I've arrived, there isn't any "other" customs check to clear, so if Orlando is the same (and I'm sure another Canuck will be along to confirm), you can put on the ME tags whenever you want, since you won't have to worry about customs in Orlando.