PDA

View Full Version : Wand Shop?

Kathy Jetson
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Can someone tell me exactley what you do in the wand shop? I've read that there are always long lines. Ds7 pretty much likes everthing is this something we don't want to miss?

Strmchsr
11-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Basically you buy a wand, but every so often (I forget how long between shows) they pick a guest to participate in the "the wand chooses the wizard" show. It's pretty neat with all the special effects, but only 1 person is chosen, so it's not something you can count on happening to you.

DisneyFr33k
11-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Yes, we just returned from Harry Potter and were advised from another guest that they let in a set number of people and one person is chose to do the whole "wand picking" experience. Then, you go into the shop and buy a wand based on your birthday. Since my daughter didn't care about the show, we just sent into the shop, saw a saleman who wasn't helping anyone and he helped my daughter find the custom made wand based on her birthday. These are not sold anywhere else. It is based on the Celtic calendar and he told us the only birthday they don't have a wand for is December 23rd. If you want to do the whole show thing, do it first thing. The lines are insanely long and I've heard people waiting hours for this. We were glad to pass it up and just shop! By the way the wands are around $30.

Kathy Jetson
11-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Do the wands do anything ? Like light up or make a noise or anything?

Kathy Jetson
11-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Thank you for your replies :mickey:

Strmchsr
11-03-2010, 08:10 AM

The "real" (wooden) wands do not, but I think they have some toy models that do.

Mogie
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
J.K. Rowlings 8th Harry Potter Book will be Titled, "Harry Potter and The Wand Shop's Line of Doom.
Literally the longest wait in Orlando.

Do a search on YouTube for "Olivander's Wand Shop and there are some videos of what happens inside.

DisneyFr33k
11-04-2010, 07:26 AM
J.K. Rowlings 8th Harry Potter Book will be Titled, "Harry Potter and The Wand Shop's Line of Doom.
Literally the longest wait in Orlando.

Do a search on YouTube for "Olivander's Wand Shop and there are some videos of what happens inside.

Funny! Yes, YouTube would be the best way to see the show and save time!

DisneyFr33k
11-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Nope, just wooden wands specially made for the shop based on your birthday. And even those are really individualized. Two people there had birthdays in the same month (one the 8th the other the 21st) and they both had the same wand style.

wdwfan10
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
When I was there in August, I waited for about an hour. The show was very cute, even though I was very naive and thought that everyone got to be 'chosen' by their wands...:doh:

Kathy Jetson
11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Thank you everyone :mickey:

Insanity Clause
11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I am glad that I found this because I was thinking that everyone had the wand chosen. We will be there the week of December 6th. We will be at Harry Potter on December 8th, two days after my daughters birthday so I am hoping that since it is off season that the lines won't be so long.

Thanks for the info....Erica

JabberJaws
11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah I have not been yet (going w/ the wife and some friends in Feb) but I've seen the show on youtube. Looks neat, basically a verbatim recreation of the wand choosing from the first HP movie/book, but w/ a chosen guest. Still though, I would say it is definitely NOT worth a wait longer than 10 minutes unless you have kids that have to see it.

shellyc
11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
We were there on Wednesday Oct 27, 2010 and the line for the wand shop was 1+ hour, needless to say, we did not wait. The line to get into the shop to purchase a postcard, to get it stamped was 15 minutes. My friend purchased the pumpkin juice at a cart, no wait, but we did not get the butterbeer.
The HP ride was fantastic. DH had to get the bigger seat, but he was comfortable. It was quite an experience. We did the family coaster at HP but not the upside down coaster. Our younger friend went on all three HP rides, and they were great.

murphy1
11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
They don't sell any toy light up wands in the park (I asked and was told there were none of these, only the collectible wooden wands), which I thought was strange, they do have them available at Wal-Mart though I believe. I bought a wooden wand for my 9 yo, for her birthday, that was what she wanted. They have a wand cart near FJ if you want to get one and not do the show, we did like the show, it was fun. When you are let into the shop after the show, the cast members will even come up to your child and help them pick out a wand (or rather have the wand pick them) and do a little skit, at least that's what they did with our group, but it was first thing in the morning. We bought an owl here, too. The other fun thing was that my daughter had her wand out of the box holding it in her hand as we were walking around and the cast members would pose for pics with her and they would cast their wands at the camera, she liked the role playing thing and it added to the experience.

Kathy Jetson
11-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the info I can't wait to see everything :mickey: