PDA

View Full Version : Moss Out in Minny

Ian
11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
The Minnesota Vikings have placed recently acquired wide receiver Randy Moss on waivers.

No reason given by Childress, but his post-game press conference seems like the likely culprit.

Hammer
11-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Vikings waive Randy Moss
Alex Marvez, FOXSports.com
Mon Nov 1, 4:16 PM EDT
Randy Moss sounded Sunday night like he would much rather still be a New England Patriot than Minnesota Viking.

He may now actually get his wish.

The Vikings shockingly waived Moss on Monday, less than one month after acquiring him in a trade with New England. Coach Brad Childress informed the team early Monday afternoon.

NFL Network first reported that Moss was waived.

Moss’ release comes less than 24 hours after a controversial news conference following a 28-18 road loss to New England. Moss praised the Patriots repeatedly while taking a swipe at Vikings coaches and players for allegedly not heeding his pregame advice on how to best his former team.

Moss also specifically knocked head coach Brad Childress for unsuccessfully attempting to score a fourth-down touchdown from the Patriots 1-yard line rather than kicking a field goal at the end of the first half.

“No disrespect to the Minnesota Vikings and their organization ... but I miss (the Patriots),” said Moss, who refused to answer questions from the media during his five-minute speech.

Moss can be claimed by any team through 4 p.m. ET Tuesday provided that club is willing to accept the remainder of his $6.4 million base salary for 2010 (about $3.4 million). If unclaimed, Moss would become an unrestricted free agent.

Buffalo, the NFL’s only winless team at 0-7, has first dibs in the waiver-claim process. New England would have the last shot at claiming Moss because the Patriots (6-1) have the NFL’s best record.

It’s unknown whether the Patriots have as much interest in a reunion as Moss. Patriots coach Bill Belichick never gave an exact reason why Moss was traded after three-plus seasons in New England, but it’s believed there were concerns about potential volatility that would disrupt the locker room.

Moss, who is in the final year of his contract, had expressed his displeasure about the lack of an extension after a season-opening victory over Cincinnati.

Seeking a deep threat for quarterback Brett Favre in the absence of injured wideout Sidney Rice (hip), the Vikings acquired Moss for a 2011 third-round draft choice before the NFL’s trade deadline.

Moss had 13 catches for 174 yards and two touchdowns in four games with Minnesota but made an even bigger impact on the players around him. In particular, slot wide receiver Percy Harvin has 19 catches for 287 yards and two touchdowns since Moss arrived.

Moss was limited to one reception for eight yards against New England but also drew constant attention from New England’s safeties that helped free Harvin for a six-catch, 104-yard outing.

In a Super Bowl-or-bust season, the Vikings (2-5) had little interest in signing Moss to a contract extension but were desperate for wide receiver help after a deal with San Diego for Vincent Jackson failed to materialize.

Despite his reputation for selfish behavior, the 33-year-old Moss is considered one of the greatest deep threats in NFL history. He has 948 career catches for 14,778 yards and 153 touchdowns since entering the league with Minnesota in 1998.

Courtesy of FOXSports.com

Tekneek
11-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I am torn on this one. Do you keep a guy like Moss because he makes your team better (opening up better opportunities for your other receivers DOES make your team better)? Or do you drop him because of what he said after a tough game? Everybody involved pretty much knew he was a rental anyway...

Now he will be a rental again, and they won't have to give up anything but cash.

caryrae
11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
This just seems to be a strange year for my team especially after what happened last year.

WDWfanatic742
11-01-2010, 05:53 PM
The PI play where he quit seemed to help as well. Who knows, Favre might not have taken it on the chin a few plays later...

I just feel bad for Percy Harvin. He was doing so good in the slot and now he has to go out wide again :(

Ian
11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
One other thing to point out here ... I believe Sidney Rice is coming back soon. That may have influenced Childress' decision.

I feel bad for Childress. It's not his fault he's inept. After all, he learned coaching from Andy Reid. ;)

DakotaDisney
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't know what's going on with the Vikings!?

First of all I am not a Randy Moss fan, but he used to be fun to watch. Randy has always seemed to be the type of player that if you are winning and gets the ball he has fun and it fun to watch, but if you aren't winning and/or he isn't getting his way he is trouble. I don't like his attitude. He has a lot of growing up to do. But he is a talented player and he was a good pick up to bring back to our team, since Sydney Rice is out. It will still be a couple weeks yet for Rice.
Moss opened up things for Percy and Adrian. We need another good reciever like Rice to fill in for him. Even when he gets back I don't know if he will be back up to speed this season.
Moss's comments were not good on Sunday, but you don't give away what you did and then just waive him a month later, beacause of that.
Childress isn't the sole person to blaim for the Viking's losing record this year, but he is wrong to get rid of Moss at this time. He doesn't seem to have control of anything that is going on with the team anymore. I think they possibly need to get rid of Childress and hand it to L. Frasier or it would be nice if they could talk John Gruden or Tony Dungy out of retirement.

gueli
11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
to me it seems like the vikings are giving up.

they have only won 2 games and their playoff hopes are about as good as the bills. :D

but if you want moss to play- throw to him on 1st down. then again, and again. If he is not thrown to, he stops playing. When you got him, it is the way he is, has been and will continue to be. If you didn't want him to give up or play Vikings ball then you need to COACH him. What you did is a waste of your time and his.

and for conspricies- The Jets may have to play against him a 3rd time this season :thedolls:

anyway, NFL will go on - with or without Randy Moss.

Go Jets :number1:

JanetMegan
11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Sheesh he is getting bounced all over this year-and he's on my team ;) Actually the oddest part of this whole thing was in the interview when he said from now on he will conduct his own interviews and ask himself his own questions and answer them-priceless!

Pagan
11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Dear Santa Claus,

I've been a good boy all year. All I want for Christmas is Brandon Marshall, Devon Bess and Randy Moss to throw to.

You know where to send him.

Sincerely,
Chad Henne

Missy_Mouses_Dad
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
The Vikings would have been better off releasing Childress and finding a retirement home for Favre. As much of a malcontent Moss can be all he wants to do is play and win.

WDWfanatic742
11-02-2010, 01:25 PM
So apparently they were having a team dinner with a local mom-and-pop restaurant catering and he basically ripped the owners apart about how bad the food was in front of the owners.

Every Friday, the Vikings invite a local establishment to cater the team's post-practice meal. Last Friday, it was a St. Paul restaurant -- a favorite of former Vikings center Matt Birk -- that served chicken, pasta, ribs and other dishes.

While his teammates lined up to dig in, Moss lashed out, according to the report.

Moss yelled "What the [expletive]? Who ordered this ****? I wouldn't feed this to my dog," a player who witnessed the incident said, according to Yahoo! Sports.

The player who witnessed Moss' food tirade called it "an uncomfortable moment," adding that he felt Moss deserved to be cut after the incident, Yahoo! Sports reported.

"This wasn't a chain -- it was a mom-and-pop restaurant, and you could tell it was their best stuff," the witness said, according to the report. "And [Moss] is at his locker saying, 'You know, I used to have to eat that **** -- but now I've got money.' You just felt so sad for them. I had never seen anyone treated like that.

"And by the way, the food was actually really good."

Pagan
11-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Dear Santa,

I need to amend my previous letter.

Please bring me Randy Moss AND Shawne Merriman.

Thanks,
Chad.

WDWfanatic742
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Dear Santa,

I need to amend my previous letter.

Please bring me Randy Moss AND Shawne Merriman.

Thanks,
Chad.

Hahahaha

Well at least they have a good kicker. A few years ago if they had to kick 10 field goals in two games they would have missed 8 of them :funny:

Pagan
11-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Breaking news...Moss to the Titans.

He was sitting there GIFT WRAPPED for the Dolphins and they don't even put in a claim.

No wonder this team hasn't won a championship in 30 years. Let Drew Brees slip through their fingers not once but TWICE, and then in a season where they seem to have forgotten where the end zone is, they let a TD making machine pass them by...and to a team they play in two weeks.

I give up.

WDWfanatic742
11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Maybe they thought he wouldn't get claimed? Still stinks though...

And Merriman got picked up by the Bills. Maybe they were trying to pick him up instead of Moss and he just didn't fall back to them?

Pagan
11-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe they thought he wouldn't get claimed? Still stinks though...
Nope...Dolphins were before Tennessee on the waiver list. He was there for the picking. I guess Jeff Ireland is happy with kicking 5 FGs every game.

In 2010:

Moss - 5 TDs

Marshall - 1 TD
Bess - 3 TDs
Hartline - 1 TD

Way to go, Dolphins F.O. :shake:

WDWfanatic742
11-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Thats what I'm saying. That they might have wanted both, so they don't try and claim Moss and hope he falls all the way to the end with nobody picking him and then hope Merriman falls far enough. That's the ONLY thing I can think of unless they really didn't want him there.

WDWfanatic742
11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
ESPN reported that the Titans were the only team to put a claim on Moss. Merriman had Buffalo, Miami, and Tampa Bay put claims on him.

Greenlawler
11-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Breaking news...Moss to the Titans.

He was sitting there GIFT WRAPPED for the Dolphins and they don't even put in a claim.

No wonder this team hasn't won a championship in 30 years. Let Drew Brees slip through their fingers not once but TWICE, and then in a season where they seem to have forgotten where the end zone is, they let a TD making machine pass them by...and to a team they play in two weeks.

I give up.

Well Pagan at least you will get to see him in two weeks. :thumbsup:

gueli
11-04-2010, 01:45 AM
could be a solid move by the titans. with britt hurt, and this is their bye week - it would seem like an ideal time. provided of course he decides to play -

well looks like the dolphins get a fresh look at him again. :D

if the jets get to the playoffs we might have to face him a third time this year...

Pagan
11-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Well Pagan at least you will get to see him in two weeks. :thumbsup:
Yea thanks Greenie. LOL

WDWfanatic742
11-04-2010, 01:55 PM
You never know, they could drop him in a month or more when Brit comes back. Then Miami could get him...or he could go to New England and then they would have had to cover him 4 times this year since they play again in Week 17...