PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

mom2mickeyfan
10-31-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm very excited that I am finally going to be able to visit Disney at Christmas. :D We have gone to Disney 6 times in the past 9 years with the last 4 being every year. BUT we always go in June. We live about 8 hours away and will only be doing a quick 4 day trip. The plan is to drive down on a Saturday....do the Christmas party on Sunday evening arriving at the park at 4 (I know there is lots of opinions of weather this is right or not!) and then spend Monday hitting Epcot, HS and maybe AK to just hit the highlights of our favorites. We already have a multi-day park hopping ticket to take care of this one day. We are trying to decide which weekend is going to be best to arrive. Driving down on Dec. 4 or Dec. 11. Also, if you had to pick to spend the evening at Epcot or HS, which would you pick?

Thanks in advance to all of the seasoned Christmas travlers. I can't wait to see the snowfall on Main St. :cloud9: I may just cry! :secret:

Disney Hungarian
10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
I chose to go on Dec 12th because of the parade taping and Pop Warner. I figured it would be slower after that was over. As far as choosing between HS and EP. That would be a personal preference choice. Since I enjoy the Christmas around the World I would choose EP. But, like I said that is a personal preference.:mickey:

DisneyDudet
10-31-2010, 03:17 PM
You should have no problem getting into MVMCP at 4. People do it all the time.

Have you checked for hotel availability for the different sets of dates you've chosen? There first set of dates are during Pop Warner time, but a lot of people like the second week in December as well, especially DVCers. This may determine which weekend you go.

As far as your nighttime plans....
I would NOT miss Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights! To me, it is worth more than the holiday extra to illuminations at Epcot. Unless you do the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package, I would not waste time waiting to possibly get a seat for the Candlelight Processional. I could spend hours at the Osborne Lights, even though I love CP and nighttime at Epcot. It is possible to see the lights turn on around 545-6 pm and head over to Epcot for a lot of night stuff there, but your could be spending a long time traveling.

One of our favorite things we like during the holidays is the parade at AK. It is cute and fun, plus it's a little different! This is the only afternoon parade we ever watch!

Happy planning! If your choose the 11th, we may see each other! I will be there for a birthday trip!

faline
10-31-2010, 04:10 PM
I would also choose to go the weekend of the 11th. It would be tough to select between an evening at Epcot or the Studios at this time of year. While the Osborne Lights are truly something you should not miss, it won't really take the entire evening to see them. On the other hand, if you're going to expereince the holiday, you should also try to see the Candlelight Processional and Epcot in the evening at tis holiday best!

mom2mickeyfan
10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys! We had first looked at the first weekend thinking things would get more crowed as the month went on. But after reading intercot a bit more, I realized about Pop Warner and the parade taping.

I don't think there will be a difference with the room. We will be staying off property and have a deal to stay in a 1 bedroom at the Shearton Vistana for around $220 total for the 3 nights.

Gator
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Either weekend should be about the same. The Pop Warner Championships may tilt crowds a little, though.

As far as which park to spend an evening at, that's a tough one. DHS has the Osborne Lights, which is great. But Epcot has a lot of Christmas stuff too. However, they do sell evening passes to the locals, which can make it kinda crowded. Either way, you'll get to see something cool.

WDWPrincess
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd go the weekend of the 11th

brivers222
11-02-2010, 12:48 PM
go with the 11th... take lots of pictures and make a full report about crowds... I wanna know what i am getting myself into for next year lol

Scar
11-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Also, if you had to pick to spend the evening at Epcot or HS, which would you pick?This could quite possibly be the easiest question ever asked. I would rather spend an evening in World Showcase than anywhere else in the world... and I mean the real world.

mom2mickeyfan
11-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Well, it looks like the choice has been taken from me about when we will go. My husband teaches high school and coaches football. The fall sports banquet will be held on Dec. 13 (the Monday we were going to be at Disney) and he doesn't want to miss that.

So...what can be expect for crowds? Remember...we are use to arriving the first Sunday of June for our week stay.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Disney Hungarian
11-03-2010, 04:50 AM
On Saturday 12/4 the crowds will be about 70% of a typical June day. But the weather will be nicer. HS has morning EMH and Fantasmic so HS will be very crowded. MK is open till 10pm and has MSEP and Wishes so it will be very crowded. EP will be moderately crowded and AK will be the least crowded.

On Sunday 12/5 the crowds will lighten a little. MK has MVMCP so no MSEP or Wishes and would be easy to ride rides with little to no lines until about 3pm then it starts to get crowded. HS has evening EMH so it will be moderately busy. AK or EP will have normal weekend crowds.

December weather is typically low to mid 70's for the high and mid 50's for the low. There can also be weather extremes. Worst times of the day are the cool morning bus stop waits and when the wind picks up after the sun goes down.
Hope that helps:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I would go on the 11th and spend the evening in Epcot

mom2mickeyfan
11-03-2010, 02:15 PM
On Saturday 12/4 the crowds will be about 70% of a typical June day. But the weather will be nicer. HS has morning EMH and Fantasmic so HS will be very crowded. MK is open till 10pm and has MSEP and Wishes so it will be very crowded. EP will be moderately crowded and AK will be the least crowded.

On Sunday 12/5 the crowds will lighten a little. MK has MVMCP so no MSEP or Wishes and would be easy to ride rides with little to no lines until about 3pm then it starts to get crowded. HS has evening EMH so it will be moderately busy. AK or EP will have normal weekend crowds.

December weather is typically low to mid 70's for the high and mid 50's for the low. There can also be weather extremes. Worst times of the day are the cool morning bus stop waits and when the wind picks up after the sun goes down.
Hope that helps:mickey:

Thank you so much!!

Our plan is to hit the party on Sunday and park hop to hit our favorites on Monday. I am hoping that Monday won't be too crowded. We have to decide if we are going to be at rope drop at HS or Epcot that Monday morning.

Disney Hungarian
11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Thank you so much!! We have to decide if we are going to be at rope drop at HS or Epcot that Monday morning.
I would suggest the rope drop at EP and hop over to HS for fantasmic in the evening and also see the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights. MK has EMH that evening and u could hop there after HS. :mickey:

mom2mickeyfan
11-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, we are staying off-site so no EMH for us.

At that time of the year, if we wait to go to HS, will be still be able to ride TSM without a long wait (anything more than 30 minutes for us) or be able to get a FP?

Disney Hungarian
11-03-2010, 05:00 PM
At that time of the year, if we wait to go to HS, will be still be able to ride TSM without a long wait (anything more than 30 minutes for us) or be able to get a FP?
I was there in early Oct. and mom had a GAC with the alternate entrance stamp (fast-pass) and we waited 30 min in the FP line. If TSM is a priority then be there at rope drop. Run to TSM get in line to get a FP, then get in line to ride. FPs are usually gone by 11am. This way will ensure you get 2 rides with little wait. If you are unsure of where it is in the park, no worries you will not need a map. Just follow all of the other families that are running. :mickey: