PDA

View Full Version : Dining Trip Report Oct 16th-23rd: Part 2

BklynChick
10-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Wednesday 10/20:
BREAKFAST: Kona Café
Most days we had a light breakfast at the POFQ food court, but on our “off” day (pool / Downtown Disney) we usually go for a TS breakfast. Rather than do another character meal, I chose this because I was dying to try the Tonga Toast. I thought it might be a heavy dish, so I ordered it to share with Mom, and she ordered a Ham and Cheese Omelet to share with me. Let’s just say that next time I will be NOT be sharing the Tonga Toast! It was amazing. The cream cheese was not thick, it was just enough to give good flavor to the bread and bananas. The waiter forgot to bring me the Strawberry Compote, so I had to ask for it. I am glad I did because it went well with the dish. I was expecting more of a jam-type consistency but it is more like a sauce instead. The Ham and Cheese Omelet was also good, but the Tonga Toast was the star of the show.

LUNCH: POFQ Food Court
We weren’t going to have lunch at first, but we decided to get take-out and sit near the pool to eat. The Food Court redeemed themselves on this one. We both had a Chicken Quesadilla which was made fresh right in front of me. It came with rice and beans but I knew that would be too much food, so I asked them to leave it off the plate. Instead, they offered to give us potato chips, which were homemade and very crispy.

DINNER: Raglan Road
Mom had the Fish and Chips. She said it was good, but Rose and Crown is better. I had the Pie in the Sky. I thought the pie might be more like the ones served next door at Cookes of Dublin, but instead it was a pot-pie style. It was very good and the salad that came with it was a nice touch. I ordered a side of Chips and it was just enough for one person. It was an enjoyable meal but not a standout.

Thursday 10/21:
LUNCH: Food and Wine Festival Booths
As is our custom, we ate our way around World Showcase for lunch. We ran out of room for food well before they ran out of booths (;-). Here are our ratings:
Greece: Spanakopita - nice but very salty)
France: Escargots Persillade en Brioche - I was brave and tried this, and really enjoyed it. They had a mushroom type consistency. The garlic butter sauce was really good.
France: Creme Brulee au Chocolat au Lait - heaven on earth. Get your own, don’t try to share - it is that good.
(We also stopped at Boulangerie Patisserie - I had the Lemon Tart and Mom had the Apple Turnover. Both were amazing)
Mussels with Roasted Garlic Cream: Good but they were a bit cold by the time we ate them. Use the bread to sop up the extra sauce.
New England Lobster Roll: Good but I have had better
Roasted Corn and Cheese Empanada: We shared this because we were getting full. I wish I had room for my own - it was that good.
Churro: Mmmmm....churros....mmmmm
Bacardi Frozen Limon Mojito: Did not like this, had a very strange aftertaste

DINNER: Biergarten
I think the food here was better than when we ate here in 2001. Too many dishes sampled to list them out, but the Tomato Bisque was a surprise hit, and I had to stop myself at three pretzel rolls.

Friday 10/22:
LUNCH: Columbia Harbor House
We split the Shrimp Basket and the Tuna Fish Sandwich. I also ordered the Clam Chowder. Everything was delicious and it was a nice option to have in the parks.

DINNER: Whispering Canyon Café
I really wanted to try the all-you-can-eat skillet but I was too full. Instead I ordered the Smoked Pork Loin. It was very good - two huge slices of Pork Loin, and the cheesy grits with chorizo were very yummy. Mom had the Pot Roast and she said it was very tender and flavorful without the gravy (which she never has on meat). The potatoes were so-so. Save room for the cornbread, it is really good!

2MuchWDFun
10-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow--some day I will get to the F&WF...your descriptions sound fabulous!

"France: Escargots Persillade en Brioche - I was brave and tried this, and really enjoyed it. They had a mushroom type consistency. The garlic butter sauce was really good." My theory is that anything is tasty when it is cooked in garlic butter! I do love escargot.

HoosierDisneyFan
10-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Biergarten may be my favorite resturant at WDW. Not that is is the best food on property (though it is good!) and not that the entertain is best (but it is fun). I really like the interactions I have had over the years with others at our table. Last year my DS13 & I ate with a couple couple in there late 40s / early 50s who were traveling solo. They had many questions about our favorites resturants and attractions. My son loved being the Disney expert.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Everything sounds great;)

ElenitaB
11-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Personally I think shoe leather with garlic butter would be good.

I'm also beginning to think that we must try Biergarten one of these trips.

Thanks for the reviews! :thumbsup:

forever a child
11-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

BklynChick
11-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Personally I think shoe leather with garlic butter would be good.

:funny:

Couldn't agree more!

faline
11-06-2010, 05:20 PM
We've only been to Raglan Road for appetizers but those were very good. We'll have to try this spot for a meal at some point.

We were unimpressed with Biergarten when we tried it a numberof years ago. We went back not too long ago for lunch and we were underwhelmed. I think it'll be a while before we try it again.

RedSoxFan
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree --- Columbia Harbor House is a great change for counter service. Ragland Road is also very good --- eating there in December.:mickey: