PDA

View Full Version : Booked!! Now what? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Awesome_guy
10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Intercotees,

We're booked for March 26th to April 3rd, 2011!

That means we're 148 days away until our departing flight!

We're staying at the Dolphin!!
We've only booked our flight and accommodations.
We're two twenty-somethings; it's my 3rd trip (I've had one full Disney experience, and one two-dayer at Blizzard Beach/Magic Kingdom).

What would you be doing now? We've already looked into park hours and EMH/Fantasmic days.

Are we already too late for ADRs? I know this isn't the dining thread... but where should we be at in our planning for this? Should we have a few days designated if we want to have a few special dining experiences?
With us staying on property and the pricing structure, it pretty much makes as much sense to get a 8-Day pass as a 5-Day pass, even if we plan on getting to International Drive in Orlando for some shopping and Universal time, yes? That way we can just 'pop in' to the park in the morning or evening as need be.
Anything else we should be booking right away? Do spa spots fill up? Other items?

haha... essentially we're just excited and wanted to share!,
-T

faline
10-28-2010, 08:20 AM
You should definitely be planning and booking your dining as soon as possible. It may already be difficult to get into some of the more popular restaurants - at least at the busiest times of day.

Do you plan to park hop? Remember, without that option, you are limited to entering one park on any given day. You can leave and return to that park but can't go to another even if you're willing to use up an "extra" day on your pass. Examine your plans and determine if park hopping is more important than extra days on your pass.

It's possible spas will be booked but it's also possible to get last minute reservations and, given that there are several spas on property, it might be possible to wait a bit to make your reservation. On the other hand, if you know when you want to have your spa treatment, you might as well book it as soon as you have that information.

Did you want to do any tours? If so, you should book that soon as well.

Happy planning!

ryca1dreams
10-31-2010, 10:00 AM
I agree - start on the ADRs as soon as possible. Look at off times too, like later for lunch, etc. when they are less likely to be crowded.

Park Hopper is the way to go too.

Look ahead at the calendar when it comes out for that time period to see if there are any special events going on so you can plan around them. The calendar is posted here on Intercot when it comes out.

By this time I'm usually coming up with a general day-by-day plan - like what parks on what day, not so specific as what rides. Usually this will revolve around dining and special dining experiences (if you do that). I like planning, but I'm flexible. I just don't want to show up and say, "now where". Just an idea.

Have fun.

forever a child
11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I usually start a work in progress "To Do" List and "Shopping" list so that I can start picking up things to put away for our trip.

BriarRose0708
11-07-2010, 07:09 PM
ADRs ADRs ADRs! It's unfortunate that they have become a make-or-break element to trip planning, but if you want to have table service experiences they are essential at almost any time of the year these days, particularly during free dining promotions. You should still be ok with a general selection of places, but be prepared that you may not get your first pick of times. It's actually nice to eat at the odd hours of the day and then take advantage of lower wait times for attractions while the majority of park guests are eating their meals.

I also like to take a look at park hours and figure out where to go on which days, especially if you are staying on property and want to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours. This is also helpful when making ADRs, and you have a general idea of where you are going to be and when. I personally am not a fan of leaving one location an hour and a half before a meal time just to travel from one location to the other (but I take Disney transport, if you are renting or have a car that is different).

As a previous poster said, see if there are any special events going on in WDW like Flower and Garden Festival, which typically happens between March and the beginning of June. There are often times special concerts, demonstrations, decorations and meet and greets associated with each event.

Talk with your fellow travelers and make a "must do" list! Even with 8 days you won't see and do everything there is to see and do, and nothing can bring down group morale than grumpy ones that haven't been able to get to do what is most important for them.

Hope you have a magical trip!:mickey:

disneygirl87
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I share your excitement! My family & I are leaving for WDW in December. As for your questions, I'd recommend that you pick up a planning guide such as Birnbaum's. They have everything you'll need to know about ADR's, tickets, and spa reservations. Hope this helps!

MOJoe
11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I love the Dolphin. One of my favorites. You will find a great bar inside Bluezoo, and the weather should be good enough to enjoy the Grotto pool area. Very nice. If you are inclined, there are basketball courts near the pool, and Fantasia Mini-golf is right across the street. And of course the Boardwalk is just over the bridge. You are literally surrounded by entertainment.

At this point you should be making a game plan. What park or parks you will be visiting on which day, and where you want to eat. As a PP said, also have a "must do" list, so no one is disappointed. Getting to the parks early really helps.

Over-planning can be just as bad as having no plan at all. Trying to cram in too much in too little time can be as frustrating as standing in long lines for a restaurant or an attraction because you didn't get an ADR or a fastpass. Just a little planning coupled with a smart crowd avoidance strategy can be the difference between a magical trip and a "i'll never do that again" vacation.

Set your priorities, make a basic schedule, and remember to take time to relax. Enjoy the Dolphin! :mickey:

Gator
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
The first thing I do is figure out which day I'm gonna be at the parks. I don't mind being at a park with evening extra magic hours, but tend to avoid the ones that have them in the morining because I can't there early enough to make it worth it.

After you know what park you're hitting, get the ADRs. Doing it online is so much easier than over the phone - you can go back and forth seeing what has availablity and when.

At this point, it's smooth sailing. Just decide what you want to ride and shows you want to see.