PDA

View Full Version : Curious about The Disney College Program

JoDisney
10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Once a student completes the application, what qualifies the student for a phone interview? Then if the student gets the phone interview, what happens next? I find it fascinating and am so curious about the procedure. I am an adult but find this a great opportunity for students. I assume that they have students all over the world, as you see so many in Epcot at the different lands. Is there someone that can explain how this works?

Kim Possible
10-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Hey there! I'd be happy to explain how it works!

When you apply online you have to fill out a questionnaire that is a personality/work ethics survey and they instantly review your results. if they like your answers you get a phone interview. they give you the # to call to schedule it. then you get the phone interview, they ask you some important questions about previous jobs and such and why you want to work there. the next step is waiting. they say it'll be about a 3-4 week wait until you hear back. sometimes it is sooner.

Joannelet
10-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Wow Jen this is really really different from when I applied in 1998 for the CP program. The Disney Co. would go to certain schools in the state and have a presentation. Then after the presentation they would take 4 other students in the room with you and you would have to compete in the interview against them.
It was the hardest interview I have ever been on.
I guess they don't do it like this anymore :( Just from that face to face interview they not only see if you are Disney material but they PLACE you...so if you are a great speaker-you most likely will get a talking spiel etc.) (You didn't find that out though till you got there...they would only send you what park you would be working in....)
The students that are there in Epcot from around the world are there for a full year. They are in a different housing complex. The other students that are from the U.S are there for a semester. We also had classes to attend with the company while there.
It is a great opportunity and it was a tremendous experience.
Once you are on the CP program you can always come back for breaks (at least one week a year) and work and keep your cast member status. Again this is how they did it when I was there...so I'm not sure if that also changed.

ToraTory
10-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Both of my daughters experienced the College program, my oldest daughter just thought it was OK, my youngest loved it so much she did it twice and now works full-time at WDW. They would both agree with the above poster that the interview was tough (they did the face-to-face interview) and they learned alot from the experience.

As a parent, I'll say that I do not believe the College Program pays these students enough money. They make minimum wage but then have rent/utilities deducted from their salary. I personally do not feel that the remainder of the salary was enough to live on and I had to supplement both of my daughters for minor things like FOOD :)

I almost feel like the program is over glamourized a bit as most of the students work typical minimum wage jobs like a cashier or fast food and very few got the cool jobs like characters, dancers, etc. Don't get me wrong, I believe it was excellent opportunity for my girls to live away from home, learn how to be independent and have some fun however, did it really give them job opportunites, or an incredible Disney learning experience like the Web site said, well not really.

If you go into the program with the attitude of taking a semester off from school to meet new people, have fun going to the parks after work, and learning how to be independent then I believe it's a good thing. Just know ahead of time, it is work and you will not make alot of money (and may need help from Mom and Dad) -- tory

Joannelet
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Tory,
Every job that I went for I got because of Disney. That is all the major employers wanted to know about. Disney has high standards that a lot of big companies are in awe over. I agree that they do not pay enough. But I think that experience far outweighed the costs....my parents did help me as well during that time.
The experiences I had in Disney can never be matched. I also went and interned at a Westin Hotel. It was another good internship but NOTHING can beat Disney's College Program. Nothing can even compare. There are many internships that aren't even payed. At least Disney pays something.....and the classes that come along with it and the training etc are priceless. You also have opportunities to do other things besides your job. My one friend that worked in Animal Kingdom with me also took a job at night at Fantasmic. They were really great with her working both jobs. It can be done. My roomate drove the safari truck during the day and then worked in a local restaurant at night. I also know other students that went back and applied for a character spot and got it. It all depends on what you want to do and Disney tries to steer you in that direction. They are willing to work with their CPers....
I know many CPers that did not come home and stayed on for managerial positions, character positions etc.

joanna71985
10-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Once a student completes the application, what qualifies the student for a phone interview? Then if the student gets the phone interview, what happens next? I find it fascinating and am so curious about the procedure. I am an adult but find this a great opportunity for students. I assume that they have students all over the world, as you see so many in Epcot at the different lands. Is there someone that can explain how this works?

The students in Epcot are part of the International Program (they come to FL for a year and work in Epcot, and I believe some also work in AK/AKL as well).

As a parent, I'll say that I do not believe the College Program pays these students enough money. They make minimum wage but then have rent/utilities deducted from their salary. I personally do not feel that the remainder of the salary was enough to live on and I had to supplement both of my daughters for minor things like FOOD :)

I don't know. I feel the CP pays enough. The payrate has gone up since my first CP in 2005. Also, most internships don't pay anything at all (so I'm happy the CP is a paying internship).

Wow Jen this is really really different from when I applied in 1998 for the CP program. The Disney Co. would go to certain schools in the state and have a presentation. Then after the presentation they would take 4 other students in the room with you and you would have to compete in the interview against them.
It was the hardest interview I have ever been on.
I guess they don't do it like this anymore :(

Yeah, the process has sure changed. When I applied in 2005, they still had the live interviews (which I prefered over the phone interviews). There are still campus presentations, but no more live interviews.

waymickey
10-31-2010, 05:05 PM
When you go to the program do you lose your college status at home? Also what is the living arrangements in Disney? Do you have to find an apartment on your own or does Disney help? My DD wants to do this so bad. She is a Senior this year.
She hopes to work in the MK.

Kim Possible
10-31-2010, 08:07 PM
When you go to the program do you lose your college status at home? Also what is the living arrangements in Disney? Do you have to find an apartment on your own or does Disney help? My DD wants to do this so bad. She is a Senior this year.
She hopes to work in the MK.

You can keep your status at your school, if you are doing the CP through the school you can. If not you may have to pay the university to keep that status. Disney has dorms/apartments for the students and they take the rent out of your weekly paycheck. You can request a work location but there is of course no guarantee where you will work until you check in on your arrival date

crazypoohbear
10-31-2010, 09:12 PM
My son's college does not recognize the CP at disney as a legit. Internship. He was told that disney will not guarantee that the student would be working in their major so his school doesn't accept it. He is a marketing/advertising major and the school said that he would most likely be working in food service or housekeeping which has nothing to do with his major.
he was disappointed but understood the schools point.

JabberJaws
11-01-2010, 12:35 PM
It is a fantastic program. I did the CP in 2002 during the summer and fall of my Junior year of college) and seriously consider it one of the most important things from a development and maturity standpoint that I did during my college years. I went on to be a campus rep for the program throughout college and even while I was in grad school.

In addition to the great learning/developmental aspects of the program, I made some of my best friends while on my CP. One of my roomates became one of my best friends and was a groomsman in my wedding, and I still talk to three other friends of mine from the CP on a near weekly basis.

I think you get out of the program what you want to get, as I knew some people who thought they were just gonna play around at the parks and goof off (incidentally most of those people ended up getting "sent home" from the CP), but the program really forces you to be responsible and accountable for yourself. That is something that most sophomores/juniors in college haven't really had to do at that point in their lives, so it can be a tad difficult, but it was worth it!

momef3grls
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I think the face to face interviews depend on where you are. My daughter is a campus rep at Johnson and Wales in RI, and they had their career fair last week. Wednesday and Thursday they had presentations and accepted applications and on Friday they had actual interviews. If the students made it through there they then schedule their phone interview. I am not sure if it is different because most of the kids are hospitality/hotel management majors or culinary. My daughter is going on her 3rd CP program followed by a professional internship. She will be a chef at the Kona Cafe.

crazypoohbear
11-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I think the face to face interviews depend on where you are. My daughter is a campus rep at Johnson and Wales in RI, and they had their career fair last week. Wednesday and Thursday they had presentations and accepted applications and on Friday they had actual interviews. If the students made it through there they then schedule their phone interview. I am not sure if it is different because most of the kids are hospitality/hotel management majors or culinary. My daughter is going on her 3rd CP program followed by a professional internship. She will be a chef at the Kona Cafe.
This is the same school my son attends!
His academic advisor told him that he would not be able to do the CP because there was no guarantee he would be working in his major.
He is in the down city, business/tech. campus.
He is a marketing/advertising major and was told absolutely no that it would not be recognized. Is your daughter at harborside in the hospitality/culinary side? Maybe that is the difference.

momef3grls
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
My daughter is on the harborside campus and yes she is culinary/hospitality major. It might just be his major but I am not sure. I can ask her and get back to you if you like, she calls nightly.

brivers222
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
My daughter is going on her 3rd CP program followed by a professional internship. She will be a chef at the Kona Cafe.

sounds like we maybe sampling some of her meals next december if she stays on board!

momef3grls
11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
She is planning on making it a career. She loves all things Disney as much as I do. The way it was explained to her is she does the CP for the summer, start PI in August and becomes sous chef by January 2012. She can't wait and I am so proud of her. She has always had a love of cooking and since she was 8 said she was going to work in Disney doing what she loved.

waymickey
11-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Is a car needed when you do the programm? Or do they have transportation from the dorms?

thanks fo r the info.

crazypoohbear
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
My daughter is on the harborside campus and yes she is culinary/hospitality major. It might just be his major but I am not sure. I can ask her and get back to you if you like, she calls nightly.

If you could ask her for me that would be great. My son was so disappointed when his advisor told him that he would not be able to do the CP because he would not be working in his major while down there.

What year is your daughter?
My son is a junior this year and is hoping to do a semester abroad in the spring in the Netherlands.
He is also thinking of doing his externship in Dublin.
Those are the two places that are offered for Marketing/advertising/communications.

momef3grls
11-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Just talked to my daughter and the only thing they offer for marketing is a professional internship. They require 2 yrs of marketing experience and a move to Florida. Sorry I couldn't be more help...If he wants he can contact her through the school or PM me and I can give you her email to reach her.
For the other poster...yes there is a bus system for the CP students that runs from the dorms to everywhere. There is a specific schedule that is different from normal buses.

Kim Possible
11-03-2010, 05:21 PM
a car is not required, they do have buses to transport you to and from work and to close by areas for food shopping