PDA

View Full Version : Discovery launch - Best Viewing at Disney

dan24
10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Where is the best place to view the space shuttle launch on Disney property?:mickey::mpumpkin:

faline
10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Not too long away, we watched a launch from out in front of Disney Studios. We got some great pics and were able to watch it for probably 2-3 minutes. It's not like actually travelling to the site of the launch but not a bad view either. The most amazing part was that we could actually hear it - it took a while for the sound to reach us but it did!

I've heard that the roof of Wilderness Lodge offers an amazing view but there's not too much chance of seeing it from there!

dnickels
10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Obviously the higher you can get with a clear view to the east is going to provide a better viewing opportunity. I'm not sure if there are any open balconies at the upper floors of the Contemporary?? but that seems like it'd offer the highest vantage point.

Even at that distance though you won't see the shuttle until it rises up from the horizon. That might provide a few extra seconds to see it over someone at ground level.

If you can skip Disney for the day and go see the launch up close, DO IT. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen and there may not be many more of them. If not, just make sure you're not on the west side of a building or attraction and you should be able to see it streaking away from earth.

VWL Mom
10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
We will be there at that time and I had checked with a friend of mine that works at Disney. Other suggested viewing spots were Tomorrowland at MK and Mission Space and China at Epcot.

DiannaJ
10-26-2010, 10:19 PM
We watched the May launch at the beach at Poly

DisneyDudet
10-26-2010, 10:36 PM
We got to see a shuttle launch in 2002. We actually saw it from the NASA Visitors Center parking lot. We wanted to watch it from the beach, but ran out of time, due to traffic. It is just amazing!

MyDisneyworld
10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
We caught a night launch once while waiting for the fireworks at magic kingdom. It was very amazing to see how bright it was from that far away. It was like the sun coming up. ****One thing to note is that people get crazy in their quest to view this. People were in such a hurry to get over in front of the castle to view it that they started running over my daughter in her stroller. I had to push people away to keep them from falling on her.

AvaNellMouse
10-28-2010, 06:07 PM
We watched from a public viewing balcony at AKL. There were only a few people there and it was spectacular. :thumbsup: