View Full Version : 1st B-Day Weekend

passholderryan
10-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Me- 33
DW- 28
DS- Turning 1...celebrating 1st birthday

Dates: Oct 1st-5th

Resort: FW Oct 1st-3rd...followed by The Dolphin Oct 3rd-5th

Since we were there for 5 days, I'll try and keep the days brief. We were mainly here for my sons 1st birthday, yet it was his 7th trip there (the benefits of being 200 miles away). I had a nice suprise in the middle, by switching resorts and moving to the Dolphin. The Food and Wine Fest was great. We made it there 3 times. So here goes.................

Oct 1st-Friday
Well we started off pretty early, leaving around 6am. I had packed the car the night before. We were taking alot of stuff this time, due to camping for the first 2 nights at FW. The ride up was easy. Upon check in, our campsite was available, so we headed there. Now let me tell you, our camping is pretty cheesy. Although we stay in a tent, I bring an AC unit, fridge, blow up mattress, etc. I got the site set up in about 2 hours. My in-laws were staying in a cabin directly across from us, so they came over on the golf cart and helped with our son while we set up. We then headed to EPCOT to start the F&WF. We really only went on SE and did a lap around WS eating and having a couple of drinks. We attempted to stay for Illuminations, but DS was tired so it was back to FW for bedtime.

Oct 2nd-Saturday
It was 6am wake up call from DS to start the morning. Fine by us, HS had early extra magic hours, so we got up and headed there. First stop was for a Fastpass for TSM. We then walked over to RRC. I went on, while DW and DS did some shopping. We then made or way to the Great Movie Ride...we were the only ones in the waiting area, watching the movies. DS laughed when the alien came out of the ceiling!!! Using our Fastpass, we walked right onto TSM, where I only reached a pathetic 125,000. We wandered around the rest of the park, then headed out to prepare for the birthday boys party. A quick stop at the local Publix, and we were preparing for the party. We were able to check out the improved pool at FW before the party, but it was insanely packed. It looked like the scene in Caddy Shack when the caddies take over for the day. The kids area was nice, but overall it seemed ilke a dumping ground for the parents to leave their kids. No supervision whatsoever. I guess their theory behind it was to let the life guards babysit, but there was only 1 for the entire pool complex, Oh well, we still had fun watching him run around. The party was great. Everyone came over to my inlaws cabin and I had a cookout. My DW cousin came by and I asked him to go easy on my grilling skills (he's the main/head chef @ Narcoossee's) Everyone had a great time. We would do something extra special for DS on Tuesday, his actual birthdate. Didnt do much else after that since it was late.

Oct 3rd-Sunday
So this morning when we got up at 6am, I told my DW that we needed to start packing. When she asked why, I said we were going to the Dolphin, but she did not believe me. Even as I was starting to pack, she thought I was kidding. Well her family was in on it, so she finally believed me, only after they told her. They took her and DS to Crocketts for breakfast, while I packed up the camp. By the time they got back, we were on the road for the long 3 miles of driving!! Check in was a breeze and ended up on the 12th floor with a view of HS and ECPOT's WS. We grabbed the bus to AK and were in the park by around 11. We went on KS and then the walking tour. Grabbed some lunch from the Flame Tree then headed out to go to the pool, Some may be thinking, not alot done, but we play it by ear and go at the pace of DS. It does make it easier knowing we come back regularly and will stop by things we miss, which are alot! The pool was chilly, but we still went in. It was empty. For anyone that has stayed at the Swan/Dolphin, we were the only ones in the pool, and its a pretty big pool. After the pool, we walked thorugh the Boardwalk and entered WS through the International Gateway. Another lap around for some eats and drinks. Again we attempted to stay, but caught most of Illuminations on the Boardwalk while walking back. Another great day.

Oct 4th-Monday

We got up early to make the opening ceremony for the MK and we made it about 15 min early. DS loves seeing that train pull up with everyone on board. It was a mad dash for Dumbo, which I rode with him so DW could get some photos of us. We then went on Peter Pan followed by HM. Another DS favorite!!! We then worked our way towards Adventureland. Grabbed a Fastpass for the JC then walked right on POTC. Our skipper on the JC especially with the "Incase anyone ever wanted to know what the backside of water looks like, here ya go" as we passed under the waterfall. Grabbed some lunch from Pecos Bills, the made our way to Tomorrowland. Hit up our favroite, The Peoplemover. A nice lap around there, then we headed out and went back to the pool for a couple of hours. After the pool, both DW and DS were tired and wanted to take a nap, so I was able to do one of my fav's....... a lap around WS by myself, only I didnt make it very far. I grabbed a drink for the walk over and enter throught the International Gateway. I didn't make it past the UK. The British Invasion were playing, so I grabbed a pint of Bass and caught their set. I then decided to hand out in the Rose & Crown Pub until the next set. I grabbed an Imperial Sampler (five 5oz beers) and chatted with a cool couple that was visiting from Chicago. They recommeded staying at Bonnet Creek next time. I will have to look into that. After catching the second set, I figured DW and DS would be up soon, so I worked my way to the Belle Vue Room @ the Boardwalk. As I sat on the porch DW called and said she would meet me there. We then went back through WS for some dinner. We were able to catch Illuminations from our bedroom window. Talk about a great day.

Oct 5th- Tuesday
Well today is the big bay for both DW and I, and DS, its his 1st birthday. We were trying to think of something to do for him, so we decided to go to the character breakfast at Cape Mays. This was great. All the characters stopped by for his birthday and even gave him a card and cupcake. Everyone sang happry birthday to him. The funniest thing was Minnie came by, and he tried to eat the end of her nose. Everyone was so nice to him. We then headed back to pack up. We hit the road and stopped by DD for some shopping and lunch. I managed to convince DW to not spend too much, how, I'm still not sure!!!!! Lunch was at Earl of Sandwich. We ended up leaving around noon and were home by 2:45pm.

Thoughts:
All in all this was one of the best trips yet. We pretty much tried everything from the F&WF. We went at a relaxed place, but still got to all the parks and DD. Time with our family Fri-Sun was great. But, the best was being able to our DS smile everywhere he went. The cast members were top notch and generally enthused with what they were doing. Can't wait for our Dec 3rd weeknd for Very Merry, but I'm thinking of driving up for the day next Monday (Nov1st), just for some more food at the F&WF.

faline
10-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Fun birthday celebration for your son! Thanks for reporting!

Disney4us2
10-26-2010, 12:45 PM
What a great birthday celebration. Sounds like you had a great time.:mickey:

KylesMom
10-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Ryan, I'm glad your trip was such a success and that you were able to enjoy the company of extended family while you were down there. I certainly know what you mean about seeing your DS smile; it makes the trip all the more special. Thanks for sharing another memorable getaway with us all - looking forward to the next one! :mickey: