PDA

View Full Version : NFL week 7 the good, the bad & the refs er i mean the ugly

gueli
10-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Welcome NFL fans for the post where you sound off on the state of the NFL.

Please tell us your good , the bad and the ugly for what you saw this weekend.

Props go out to OAKland for their drubbing of DENVER ...

oh yeah, and to continue a thought from last week-
there seem to be three tiers in the nfl now
- top tier ( 4 or more wins)
- middle tier (around 500)
- low tier (the 1 or 2 win teams)

the QUESTIONs :
who is the worst or most overrated of the top teams ?
who is the best of the middle teams?
who is the worst of the worst?
Thank you for participating in this weeks survey :thumbsup:

Go Jets (hope you had a nice week off- hey look ma no arrests :D)

Pagan
10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
The Good: Dolphins showed they can play with anyone. No one expected them to win, and they should have.

The Bad: The refs. I almost threw something through my television on that last call. Horrific. A Dolphin defender got up and HANDED the ball to the ref. How do you say they couldn't be sure who recovered it?

The Ugly: Offensive coordinator Dan Henning's play choice to end the game. Dolphins down by one, a little over 2 minutes left with no timeouts and a HOT kicker. What does he do? Calls a running play up the middle against the best run defense in the NFL. Then a short pass is dropped leaving third and long. The next play he calls has Lousaka Polite running a TWO YARD checkdown route.

Ridiculous. You don't get timid when the game is on the line. Henning needs to go.

Ian
10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
First, the Eagles ...

The Good: I was so angry that the Eagles blew that game that it made me forget momentarily how angry I am that the Phillies blew their series against the Giants.

The Bad: Pretty much everything that occurred after the LeSean McCoy fumble.

The Ugly: Pretty much everything that occurred after the LeSean McCoy fumble.

Who is the worst or most overrated of the top teams?Assuming your criteria of this being 4 win or more teams, I'd have to go with the Chiefs. I don't think they're total frauds, but I don't think they're quite as good as they appear at this point.

Who is the best of the middle teams?Definitely Miami. They were in a few games at the very end that they could have won. They easily could be 5-1 as opposed to 3-3 with just a few breaks going their way.

Who is the worst of the worst?Toss up between Carolina and San Fran. They both stink.

The Bad: The refs. I almost threw something through my television on that last call. Horrific. A Dolphin defender got up and HANDED the ball to the ref. How do you say they couldn't be sure who recovered it?I know it's painful and trust me ... if it happened to the Eagles I'd be barking, too, but it was the right call.

Once the whistle blows you have to stop the play there. Anything that happens after that is clearly influenced by the fact that the play was blown dead. It's a rule that drives me nuts, but there's no way around it.

Kenny1113
10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
The Bad: The refs. I almost threw something through my television on that last call. Horrific. A Dolphin defender got up and HANDED the ball to the ref. How do you say they couldn't be sure who recovered it

AND in the replay, two different Dolphins had thier hands on the ball before the pile-up!

#1donaldfan
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Since I'm a Steeler fan I'm pretty much in the minority here, however I will say the call on the fumble was accurate, however when the whistle was blown and it was the refs on the pile saying let go, it's a touchdown, at that point it mattered not who had the ball. For all we know Legursky could have had it, heard touchdown and released it, giving any Miami player the opportunity to pick it up. That being said, I am NOT a fan of the instant replay and red flag thing ! Let them play, let the refs earn their money and just leave it all on the field, unless it's totally and completely undeniable, and at that, they should all be calls from the "booth". Miami played a great game, they are gonna be a force to be reckoned with, but I will take my win, and place it in the appropriate win column !! :cool:

Greenlawler
10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Since I'm a Steeler fan I'm pretty much in the minority here, however I will say the call on the fumble was accurate, however when the whistle was blown and it was the refs on the pile saying let go, it's a touchdown, at that point it mattered not who had the ball. For all we know Legursky could have had it, heard touchdown and released it, giving any Miami player the opportunity to pick it up. That being said, I am NOT a fan of the instant replay and red flag thing ! Let them play, let the refs earn their money and just leave it all on the field, unless it's totally and completely undeniable, and at that, they should all be calls from the "booth". Miami played a great game, they are gonna be a force to be reckoned with, but I will take my win, and place it in the appropriate win column !! :cool:

Yes you are in the minority, and to all those saying it was the right call...balderdash. There was a fumble, the Phins recovered it, case closed. Don't give me that crud about the whistle. Before the whistle was blown the Dolphins had the ball.

Greenlawler
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
First, the Eagles ...

The Good: I was so angry that the Eagles blew that game that it made me forget momentarily how angry I am that the Phillies blew their series against the Giants.

The Bad: Pretty much everything that occurred after the LeSean McCoy fumble.

The Ugly: Pretty much everything that occurred after the LeSean McCoy fumble.

Assuming your criteria of this being 4 win or more teams, I'd have to go with the Chiefs. I don't think they're total frauds, but I don't think they're quite as good as they appear at this point.
Definitely Miami. They were in a few games at the very end that they could have won. They easily could be 5-1 as opposed to 3-3 with just a few breaks going their way.
Toss up between Carolina and San Fran. They both stink.

I know it's painful and trust me ... if it happened to the Eagles I'd be barking, too, but it was the right call.

Once the whistle blows you have to stop the play there. Anything that happens after that is clearly influenced by the fact that the play was blown dead. It's a rule that drives me nuts, but there's no way around it.

Hmmmmm. I would not say the Eagles blew the game.

Using that word "blew" implies that it was totally in the Eagles control. That the Titans had little to do with the fact that they utterly steamrolled the Birds in the fourth quarter. "Blew" sounds like the all-powerful Eagles made a couple of self imposed blunders but should have overpowered the insignificant Titans.

Did McCoy just decide to drop the ball?

Did the Eagles secondary give Britt permission to dismantle them?

Did the Eagles decide that 38 year old Kerry Collins needed to pick them apart for his self esteem?

I guess the Eagles turnovers had nothing to do with any play by the Titans?

When a team scores 27 unanswered points, they seize control of a game. That's why they play all four quarters.

Perhaps a more accurate statement instead of the "Eagles blew the game" would be.....The Titans obliterated the Eagles in the fourth quarter.

Greenlawler
10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
The Good: Jason Jones, after little to no pass rush all game, Jones comes through big, blowing up a play, causing a red zone turnover and signaling the Titans rally.

The Bad: The Offensive line...supposed strength of the team still is not gelling.

The Ugly: Who ever was covering Kenny Britt yesterday, and this years NFL officiating.

who is the worst or most overrated of the top teams ? Texans

who is the best of the middle teams? Dolphins

who is the worst of the worst? This week Broncos :blush:

Ian
10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Hmmmmm. I would not say the Eagles blew the game.

Using that word "blew" implies that it was totally in the Eagles control. That the Titans had little to do with the fact that they utterly steamrolled the Birds in the fourth quarter. "Blew" sounds like the all-powerful Eagles made a couple of self imposed blunders but should have overpowered the insignificant Titans.

Did McCoy just decide to drop the ball?

Did the Eagles secondary give Britt permission to dismantle them?

Did the Eagles decide that 38 year old Kerry Collins needed to pick them apart for his self esteem?

I guess the Eagles turnovers had nothing to do with any play by the Titans?

When a team scores 27 unanswered points, they seize control of a game. That's why they play all four quarters.

Perhaps a more accurate statement instead of the "Eagles blew the game" would be.....The Titans obliterated the Eagles in the fourth quarter.Clearly you're a Titans fan and, as such, would prefer that more credit be given to the Titans for winning the game vs. the Eagles for losing it.

Sorry ... can't go there with you. The Eagles had many, many opportunities to make adjustments that would have stemmed the tide of the Titans comeback and, for whatever reason, they chose not to do so.

Simple example of that is the fact that, well after it was readily apparent that the Titans were exploiting the Ellis Hobbs/Kenny Britt match-up Andy Reid still hadn't rotated coverage to get his best corner (Asante Samuel) on Britt.

And yes ... when a running back fumbles, typically you blame the guy that fumbled. In some cases the defense forces the fumble, but in this case the fumble was actually caused by a blown blocking assignment on the part of the Eagles' offensive line.

This game was over, for all intents and purposes, and the Eagles took their foot off the gas.

Pagan
10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
I know it's painful and trust me ... if it happened to the Eagles I'd be barking, too, but it was the right call.

I totally agree Ian, except that wasn't the case. Had the ref said the play was blown dead and therefore we couldn't determine who had the ball, I'd accept that.

However, he said he had no positive proof who had the ball, not that the play was blown dead. The blown whistle doesn't factor into it.

Third, even before the whistle was blown, another ref signaled Miami ball, and then the Miami player got up with the ball and handed it to the ref. How do you say there's no proof?

Even more infuriating is Rothlisberger actually saying in an interview that HE recovered it. LOL

Ian
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I totally agree Ian, except that wasn't the case. Had the ref said the play was blown dead and therefore we couldn't determine who had the ball, I'd accept that.
However, he said he had no positive proof who had the ball, not that the play was blown dead. The blown whistle doesn't factor into it.

Third, even before the whistle was blown, another ref signaled Miami ball, and then the Miami player got up with the ball and handed it to the ref. How do you say there's no proof?I know that's what was said during the game, but my understanding from listening to and reading accounts of the game (didn't see it myself) was that it really was related to the blowing of the whistle.

Mike & Mike this morning specifically talked about how the refs may have communicated unclearly while explaining the call, but that the root cause was that they didn't feel comfortable assigning ownership of the ball to Miami because transfer of control had occurred after the whistle had blown.

Now if that's not the case, then it's a whole different ballgame.

Edited to add - Just watched/listened to the segment of the game on YouTube and even the announcers say that, " ... Again, whistles are blowing all over the place because the linesman thought that Ben crossed the plane ... "

Greenlawler
10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Clearly you're a Titans fan and, as such, would prefer that more credit be given to the Titans for winning the game vs. the Eagles for losing it.

Sorry ... can't go there with you. The Eagles had many, many opportunities to make adjustments that would have stemmed the tide of the Titans comeback and, for whatever reason, they chose not to do so.

Simple example of that is the fact that, well after it was readily apparent that the Titans were exploiting the Ellis Hobbs/Kenny Britt match-up Andy Reid still hadn't rotated coverage to get his best corner (Asante Samuel) on Britt.

And yes ... when a running back fumbles, typically you blame the guy that fumbled. In some cases the defense forces the fumble, but in this case the fumble was actually caused by a blown blocking assignment on the part of the Eagles' offensive line.

This game was over, for all intents and purposes, and the Eagles took their foot off the gas.

Clearly you're an Eagles fan. You're logic is in error. They play four quarters, Ian. The Titans took advantage of the situations presented and won. They were not given the game the Eagles did not blow it. The Titans took it.

Here is where your logic is flawed...
The whole reason the Eagles were ahead in the first place was why? Because of the Eagles dominance or Titans mistakes? According to your logic the Titan's mistakes. Collins three interceptions, Fisher's horrible play calling in the first three quarters, the Titans offensive line missing blocks. The very same reasoning you used for the Eagles collapse.
Taking your logic (or illogic) every NFL team in the league that lost Sunday blew it. Someone cost them the game. The Broncos blew it Sunday. Orton's interceptions, the bad gameplan, and lack of adjustments cost them the game. Otherwise they would have handled the Raiders.

As for the fumble, it was caused by a defensive lineman who blew up a play. The offensive lineman may have blown his assignment but Jones took advantage and hit the ball with HIS hand. If he had been slower to the gap who knows what would have happened?

Look if it makes you feel better to think your team won becuase they blew it, go ahead and feel that way. Just like the Phillies blew their series....I was for the Phil's as well, :blush: but they did not blow it either they were outplayed just like the Eagles.

Ian
10-25-2010, 07:27 PM
You make some good points and I'll definitely agree that the Titans had to take advantage of the Eagles' miscues in order to stage their comeback.

Can't say I'm totally on board with what you say, but I'll admit that the truth is probably somewhere in between your position and mine.

The Phils, though ... they totally blew it. The Giants stink.

gueli
10-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I totally agree Ian...

wait a minute is this really PAGAN...:D

Even more infuriating is Rothlisberger actually saying in an interview that HE recovered it. LOL

It was a bad call, in a league filled with bad calls by officials.
I feel for ya bud, watching what happened...
the fish are having no luck-maybe this will help :pixie:
But they are a good team. the will keep plugging away.
:cheers:

Greenlawler
10-26-2010, 12:22 AM
wait a minute is this really PAGAN...:D

It was a bad call, in a league filled with bad calls by officials.
I feel for ya bud, watching what happened...
the fish are having no luck-maybe this will help :pixie:
But they are a good team. the will keep plugging away.
:cheers:

Yep the officiating has been horrid this year. I was re-watching the Titans vs Jags today and just could not get over all the blown calls.

RAIDER
10-26-2010, 08:26 AM
:D All i have to say is,
The Raiders actually won a game :beer::beer::beer:...... Good enuff for me :D:beer: :D

#1donaldfan
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Yes you are in the minority, and to all those saying it was the right call...balderdash. There was a fumble, the Phins recovered it, case closed. Don't give me that crud about the whistle. Before the whistle was blown the Dolphins had the ball.

ha, ha, ha......that's funny.... I'm not sure what hidden football cam you had, wish I'd had seen it from your camera.... I just wonder how many more fumbles it would have taken for Miami to win ???? !! :thedolls:

Greenlawler
10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
ha, ha, ha......that's funny.... I'm not sure what hidden football cam you had, wish I'd had seen it from your camera.... I just wonder how many more fumbles it would have taken for Miami to win ???? !! :thedolls:

Really? I hope you're joking. If you are not, then you're the only Steeler fan I know who is not gracious, and honest enough to know the Phins got ripped.
Two Dolphins were clearly the first on the ball, a Dolphin player handed the ball to the official. Every camera angle shows Dolphins surrounding the ball. Come on Steeler fan you're better than that.....I think.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-26-2010, 05:47 PM
The good: The Pack wins

The bad: The Refs

The ugly: The Refs

there were three touchdowns over-turned on the vikings. Turns out one should not have been.

One td by the Pack was not red-flagged, not over-turned, and should have been.

The officiating is atrocious this season. I don't recall there ever being so many blown calls or non-calls. :shrug::scratch:

Pagan
10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Really? I hope you're joking. If you are not, then you're the only Steeler fan I know who is not gracious, and honest enough to know the Phins got ripped.
Two Dolphins were clearly the first on the ball, a Dolphin player handed the ball to the official. Every camera angle shows Dolphins surrounding the ball. Come on Steeler fan you're better than that.....I think.
Give him a break Greenie...he's realizing that the Steelers aren't as invincible as he thought and he's covering it up. :razz:

As for what you said #1donald, it only took one. The mighty Steelers weren't as tough as everyone thought, which was obvious since the poor wimpy Dolphins stood toe to toe with them and traded punches right till the end until the refs gave you your early Xmas present. ;)

Oh and as for who had the ball...here's (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs921.snc4/73436_1665988250585_1263631343_31795846_1184929_n. jpg) all the evidence you need. And no, that isn't a Steeler player's arm with the black glove, that's Dolphin's lineman Randy Starks, who wears black gloves. So that's TWO Dolphins in possession.

Win graciously bro. You got a gift. Don't say "how many fumbles would it take" after the Dolphins put up 22 points and Chad Henne threw for 257 yards against the "Steel Curtain". ;)

#1donaldfan
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM

your right, I am !! notice the little devil at the end, plus in my initial remark, I mentioned that I'll take a win anyway I can (ok not exactly, but intended to mean)....I don't condone "cheating" per se, however that wasn't "cheating" it was a VERY gracious gift from the refs !! It's all in fun, don't tell anyone, but I happen to like the Dolphins !! We good ??:cool:

Greenlawler
10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
your right, I am !! notice the little devil at the end, plus in my initial remark, I mentioned that I'll take a win anyway I can (ok not exactly, but intended to mean)....I don't condone "cheating" per se, however that wasn't "cheating" it was a VERY gracious gift from the refs !! It's all in fun, don't tell anyone, but I happen to like the Dolphins !! We good ??:cool:

Of course, no animosity here.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, as at this point it probably behooved my Titans that the Steelers won. There will be a glut of 10-6, 9-7 teams but I expect the Steelers to finish 12-4 at worst. Giving the Dolphins another loss probably helped. I am just very irritated with the officiating this year like everyone else.

Huge Donald Duck fan as well, all three of my sons third word was Donald.

gueli
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
the Steelers aren't as invincible as .. thought ..., which was obvious since the poor wimpy Dolphins stood toe to toe with them ...
Oh and as for who had the ball...
Win graciously bro.

you make a good point about the steelers.
I like your term wimpy for the dolphins, bro, I might use it at some later point :D
and as for who had the ball...the refs.:confused:

The real question is, after this loss - will the dolphins rebound and beat up cincy ?
The fish are a tough team, although unfortunatly billicheck seems to have them figured out. :mad:
The next Question I have is- do the dolphins have legitimate post season aspirations at this point ? :beer:

go jets

Pagan
10-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I hope you realized I was just playin' with ya too?

We need the Steelers...to knock the Jets out of the playoffs. :razz:

Greenlawler
10-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Do the Dolphins have playoff aspirations?

3-3 now

rest of the season....

My guess is they handle Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detiroit.

They slip up once on the road against either Oakland or Cincy.

And they pull off one win between Tennessee, at New England and at Baltimore.

9-7 finish just missing the playoffs. I think the key for the Phins is sweeping Oakland and Cincy on the road and not getting swept by Balt, Tenn, and NE. If they do that...10-6 and the playoffs.

gueli
10-28-2010, 12:52 AM
so pagan- you dont respond to me anymore :confused:

the jets have: GB, detroit, clevland, houston, cincy, NE, Dolphins, Pit, chicago, Buffalo.

there are a lot of tough teams in there, but I think if their luck holds, there could be 6 wins in there...

so who wins the afc east?

who makes the playoffs -
you have pittsburgh, Patriots, Jets, Baltimore, Tennesse, Houston, KC & indy who are in the mix.
Teams that need help - Dolphins,oakland, bengals & browns.

So who Makes it ? Who takes their divison & who is the wildcard teams - what is your prediction :thanks:

Greenlawler
10-28-2010, 01:45 AM
so pagan- you dont respond to me anymore :confused:

the jets have: GB, detroit, clevland, houston, cincy, NE, Dolphins, Pit, chicago, Buffalo.

there are a lot of tough teams in there, but I think if their luck holds, there could be 6 wins in there...

so who wins the afc east?

who makes the playoffs -
you have pittsburgh, Patriots, Jets, Baltimore, Tennesse, Houston, KC & indy who are in the mix.
Teams that need help - Dolphins,oakland, bengals & browns.

So who Makes it ? Who takes their divison & who is the wildcard teams - what is your prediction :thanks:

In the AFC...
Jets win the East, gueli I only see three possible losses at most.
Titans win the South....barely
Steelers win the North
Chiefs win the West

Ravens and Pats take the wild cards. Although I can see a scenario where the Ravens slip out and the Colts sneak in.
Colts,Texans,Chargers (who will surge as usual), and Dolphins just miss out.

As for the Titans, the Chargers and Dolphins games on the road are crucial. They must split. Believe it or not I predict the Titans lose to the Bolts. The Titans are 0-7 the last 7 games against the Chargers, but I think that will be one of only four losses here on out. No one from the South is getting in as a wild card unless the Ravens or Pats fall apart. They have to win the division outright. The Colts injuries have an effect in spite of an easier schedule, and the Texans schedule is brutal (Colts,Jets, Ravens,Eagles,Titans twice...four or five losses at least). 10-6 should get the Titans in. That means finishing no worse than 5-4. To clinch the deal they have to go 6-3. If they slip up and go 4-5 the Colts will jump them. With the Pats, Ravens and others fighting for a wild card spot. 9-7 will not do.

#1donaldfan
10-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Of course, no animosity here.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, as at this point it probably behooved my Titans that the Steelers won. There will be a glut of 10-6, 9-7 teams but I expect the Steelers to finish 12-4 at worst. Giving the Dolphins another loss probably helped. I am just very irritated with the officiating this year like everyone else.

Huge Donald Duck fan as well, all three of my sons third word was Donald.

The officiating is horrible and will continue that way into infinity as the instant replay, red flag, times outs, booth review's continue....that's why the stripes on the field are missing so much....why should they even try, what they call has a 50 % probability of being overturned ....