PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaarghh, help please!!

tundramom
10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
I've had one of those days. Everything I've touched has gone wrong. But my aaargh moment is this: I was taking a 1/2 cooked crockpot of beef goulash down to my recently widowed (non cooking) father and I didn't even make the turn out of the street and bam, tipped over on my floor. Thank goodness my monster mats caught the majority. I immediately turned around and went home, got the steamy mess out of the car ASAP and began sopping, scrubbing, blotting with clean paper towels, etc. I've tried Tide with Febreze, straight Febreze, and currently Capture (a carpet stain removal system that seems a lot like baking soda to me) and the smell is ungodly!!:ack: (combo beef, tomato, onion, and assorted spices) Any home remedies for smell removal? I'm just sick! and not just because of the smell. Thanks for the help, tomorrow can only get better. And best of all less than 2 weeks untill I'm back in my happy place.

Sunshine1010
10-24-2010, 10:05 PM
....gotta chime in here. I'm interested in a good 'remedy'...because a cat decided to climb in my husbands SUV and urinate in it. We canNOT get the smell out. HELP (too)...!!!!

Zippy 1
10-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Try a solution of 75% vinegar and 25% water. Try it in a small spot first to make sure it won't effect the carpet color. You may have to do it a couple times. Also leave your car windows down just a little bit to let the air move around. I have used this many times and it works!!

azdisneymom
10-25-2010, 12:30 AM
You might try Odorzout. It is non toxic. Marketed for pet odors but works for laundry smells. I don't see why it won't work for your floor mats.

AvaNellMouse
10-25-2010, 09:48 AM
My mom says that ranchers used to keep apples in their trucks to keep the cow poop smell at bay - maybe toss in an apple or 10 and see if that helps? They are supposed to absorb the odors.

Dznygrl79
10-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Good old fashioned arm & hammer let it sit at least overnight and than vaccum the car. Good Luck

tundramom
10-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, so far I have tried: Baking soda, dryer sheets, professional carpet cleaning absorbent. The dryer sheets seemed to do the most, although I had to endure a day of heavy flowery bounce smell over french onion soup/tomato soup mixed smell:ack:. I though I was free and clear because for 3 days no noticeable odor, but today I got a whiff of it again, next stop Odor Ban and maybe the vinegar solution (I'll bet the vinegar would work, I just can't stand the thought of adding another odor into the mix right now). Funny side story, we were at the VW dealership buying DD a new car, and I mentioned my dilemma. The salesman said he actually had a couple trade in a mini van because they had spilled a whole pot of wedding soup in it, and could not get rid of the smell! I totally sympathize.

Sunshine1010
10-31-2010, 02:26 AM
tundramom...let me know how that works out for you. We had our SUV professionally cleaned and STILL can't get out the cat urine smell.

brownie
11-05-2010, 06:36 PM
I think you need to get it really clean first. As long as there's residue, anything you do is not going to work (you're masking the odor and not removing it.) Once you have it clean and dry, leaving baking soda on it will help to absorb the odor. It may take several passes to be rid of the odor.

brownie
11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
....gotta chime in here. I'm interested in a good 'remedy'...because a cat decided to climb in my husbands SUV and urinate in it. We canNOT get the smell out. HELP (too)...!!!!

They make products specifically for removing cat urine odor from carpeting & fabric. I'd give them a try if you haven't already. These products will have special enzymes in them that work on the urine.