PDA

View Full Version : Did we do the right thing

4disneynuts
10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
So what I did was changed our reservation from the POLY with a 40% pin code to using no pin code at Wilderness resort and free dining. I hope I made the right decision for my family but now am nervous. We have never stayed at either place so don't know what we will be missing.

I wanted a garden view room at POLY but all they had with the pin code was theme park view which was $1,000 more with no free dining. We ended up getting a courtyard view room at Wilderness Resort with free dining for about $60 less.

Those of you who have stayed at the Wilderness do you think we made a good choice? We also saw POLY doesn't have a hot tub and thought a hot tub on a cool Dec. night would be nice. Also Whispering Canyon Cafe is one of our favorite restaurants.

I have always wanted to stay at POLY but my husband said maybe next year just the two of us will go and stay there if we get another pin code. I hate not using that pin code because we may never get the chance again. What are your thoughts?

:mickey:

Aurora
10-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Don't worry. The Wilderness Lodge is fantastic, and if you're paying less for the room AND free dining, you got a good deal. And the Poly isn't going anywhere, so you can always make it a goal.

Sunshine1010
10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Aurora said it perfectly.

BrerGnat
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Psst...WL is better than Poly. Don't tell anyone. :secret:

I think you made a fantastic decision! :thumbsup:

Poly is overrated...

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
I have always wanted to stay at Wilderness Lodge, so I think you made a GREAT decision.

Plus, you can always visit the Poly, and stay there on another trip ... just another reason to come back again :mickey:

retiredfigment
10-24-2010, 07:27 PM
WL is terrific!

ToraTory
10-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Completely agree, WL is awesome!! Love the pool and the hot tub!

faline
10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
While the Poly is my favorite resort, the Wilderness Lodge is my husband's favorite and is a close runner up on my favorites list. Both resorts are very different but I'll bet you'll love Wilderness Lodge!

garymacd
10-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Psst...WL is better than Poly. Don't tell anyone. :secret:

I think you made a fantastic decision! :thumbsup:

Poly is overrated...

Love WL!

Keep it a secret! If they find out, they'll raise the rates!

You got a courtyard view for less than Poly? That sounds like a good deal to me.

We haven't stayed at Poly for a long time, but I do remember that it was nice. I think the rooms are the same size, the restaurants offer different foods, Poly offers the Monorail, but WL offers boats to MK, CR and FW. Love it.

Jen C.
10-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I, too, TOTALLY preferred WL to Poly. Now that we are a family of five, WL is harder for us to swing, as it means requiring at least a suite, or room at the Villas. GREAT choice!

hokies4life
10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't worry. The Wilderness Lodge is fantastic, and if you're paying less for the room AND free dining, you got a good deal. And the Poly isn't going anywhere, so you can always make it a goal.

:ditto:
And, WL is one of my favorites :blush:. I was kind of hoping to stay there for our honeymoon in Oct 2011. Right now we're at POR but that might be changed if more discounts come out for when we're going.

I say don't worry about it and just enjoy WL!

Gregandmel
10-24-2010, 10:56 PM
You'll love it! On first family trip with our 2 sons was in October 2008 and we originally booked the Poly. We switched when some special rates came out which gave us a courtyard view at WL for $900 less. We are SO GLAD we made the switch. We absolutely LOVED the theming of WL and visited the Poly twice during our visit, but couldn't wait to get back to WL afterwards. The courtyard view is terrific and you will love sitting on your balcony taking in the view from below. It'll be just great for you & your family!! No worries!!!! :thumbsup:

LittleRoosMommy
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I agree!! WL is great! We stayed there 2 years ago and loved every minute of it!! We had a woods view, but much to our delight, we could see Cinderella's Castle from our balcony!!! :cloud9: It couldn't have been more perfect! I think you definitely made the right choice! Have a great trip!!

Dragongirlx
10-25-2010, 10:45 AM
You will love it. I have stayed in both and much prefer WL

SBETigg
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
They're both great. You've saved money. You'll be very happy. Also, Christmas theming is more impressive at WL, so that's something else to look forward to. I don't think you'll have any regrets.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
If you have a large family then I think you really made the right decision. We also looked at upgrading to a nicer hotel using the room discount but opted instead for the free dining for a family of 5. The savings and value of the free dining outweighed the room discount.

But that's just from a dollars and sense point of view.

I get the impression from these Boards that both the Poly and WL are two of the most popular on property resorts, so you can't go wrong either way.

Dopey's Girl
10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I stayed at WL on a solo trip earlier this year, and couldn't have been happier. I love the grounds. It's just so beautiful, especially all lit up at night. Plus the boat ride from the Lodge to MK was just about my favorite thing ever. It was a great way to get around, again, especially at night. It was just so relaxing.

I'm staying at CSR in a month, and I'm excited to try it, but I think the next trip will be back to WL.

Mousemates
10-25-2010, 01:06 PM
We've stayed at both and tend to prefer the overall resort at WL over the Poly. To me the only real advantages of the Poly are the larger rooms (which are nice for a longer stay) and the monorail access. The theming of the WL is definitely superior (especially for the time of year you are going to be there...with a bit of a chill in the air you can easily imagine yourself to be a great northwestern lodge...far more than you can imagine yourself on island in the south pacific...and the Christmas decorations at the WL completely blow away the Poly).

4disneynuts
10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I feel much better now and am actually excited about staying at Wilderness Resort. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
While I have never stayed at Poly (my goal), WL is my favorite resort. I love the theming and coziness. I also like that all rooms are in one building... no need to walk outside to get to your room.

You are at Disney World with free food. How could you POSSIBLY make a mistake!?

kemps@wdw
10-31-2010, 11:51 PM
You've made an excellent choice! :thumbsup: We did the WL w/free dining just this past Oct. and were very pleased overall. Of course the WL is our fave resort (just look @ my signature) and you won't be disappointed w/a courtyard view. And w/the free dining, we were looking for ways to use up our remaining credits before we left. The Roaring Forks menu has a wonderful variety and great food. And we could use a dessert for breakfast the next AM and save a credit for something else. More than enough food on the plan, and most definitely saved us $.