PDA

View Full Version : Figaro's almost live trip report - part 2

dlpmikki
10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Wednesday 13th October (Day 2)
We go to breakfast at Olivia’s. Mikki is sorry to see the Home Style Hash (formerly Ocie’s) has disappeared from the menu. She has an omelette and Andrew tries some Banana Bread French Toast. That is definitely a dish for people with far sweeter tastes than Andrew but Mikki’s omelette is good with shrimp and avocado.

We get a bus to Epcot. First stop is Guest Relations where Mikki upgrades her Annual Pass to a Premium one. She wants to visit Typhoon Lagoon but is also interested to know how much benefit she will get from the extra discounts.

Inside, we are dismayed – but not surprised – by the long lines and wait times. We look in “Art of Disney” and “Mouse Gear” by which time World Showcase has opened. We complete the circuit. Andrew buys a new sun hat in “China”. We have not tried anything from the Food and Wine Festival stands until about to leave when the humans decide it is time for a beer.

Back in the room, Mikki gets a little bit of Disney magic for her birthday celebration tomorrow: a special greeting card with a lovely picture signed by “your Pal, Mickey Mouse”.

After a rest in our room, the humans head for the Magic Kingdom, hoping to see the “Main Street Electrical Parade”. The park is busy – busier than they expected for this time of year. The line for “Haunted Mansion” stretches into the square.

They go to eat at “Columbia Harbor House”. This used to be their favourite fast food restaurant because the food was reasonable and there was usually lots of space if you took the trouble to go upstairs. Well, there’s still plenty of space upstairs. Andrew has the fish and chicken combo platter and finds both indigestible - tasting more of burnt batter than either alleged content. Given that there was a very obvious delay waiting for food from the kitchen, it was doubly surprising that it was so overcooked and dry. In most places, your compensation for waiting is a freshly cooked batch! Mikki had a new dish of fried shrimp and was pleasantly surprised.

After their disappointment at “Columbia”, the humans check the menu at “Pinocchio’s Village Haus” (I am pleased to report they did not go in without me). Now I can’t claim great enthusiasm for the Figaro Fries. They were very messy to be near. But these, too, had gone. The humans are familiar with the idea that the table service restaurants have simplified and standardised (dare I say, “dumbed down”) their offerings for the Dining Plan. Until now, they have not had such a clear feeling of the same thing happening with the fast food places.

With over an hour to go before the parade, many places to see it are already 6 deep. My humans give up, come back to Old Key West and have a beer at Gurgling Suitcase.

Tomorrow things will get better! :secret:

pdrlkr
10-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

WDWdriver
10-23-2010, 03:17 PM
A disappointing day, but not surprising. We are seeing a lot of posts on the boards about poor food quality and high crowd levels. Better luck tomorrow.

2MuchWDFun
10-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Love reading your report...
sorry for the disappointments. I'm sure things will be looking up for the humans.

faline
10-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Other than the birthday card (Happy birthday, Mikki! :party:), it certainly was a rather disappointing day.

There was a time when Disney was known to have mediocre food, at best. They made a concerted effort to enhance and improve their food offerings and succeeded quite well. I hope they are not now reversing course.

Jeff
10-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the report!:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
10-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Hope the next day is better.

Suz36
10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
When we went to see MSEP 10/4, I could not believe how crowded it was!! I hope the hype dies down before our return in January. Sorry your dining experiences were disappointing. Hope things improve tomorrow!

WDWCrazyKaren
10-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Here's hoping the crowds decrease and the food quality increases! Good luck!

KylesMom
10-27-2010, 03:47 PM
I think that the beer at Gurgling Suitcase was a much better choice than trying to see MSEP at that point. At least you got to see Pinocchio's, Figaro! Sad that your humans had some wretched food and crowded parks today. I hope that things improve tomorrow for Mikki's birthday! :mickey:

DizNee143
10-30-2010, 09:47 PM
so for all the dissappointment with your meals today!

vizsla
11-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

Joannelet
11-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Glad they didn't go in without you! :)
Sorry that your humans didn't have great food experiences...hoping that turns around for them!