PDA

View Full Version : Figaro's almost live trip report - part 1 setting off

dlpmikki
10-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Tuesday 12th October (Day 1)
We set off to fly from London Gatwick to Orlando International. “We” are me (Figaro the Toy Cat) my humans Mikki and Andrew, and my two cousins Floppy cat and Travelling Beanie. I always travel in Andrew’s hand luggage but Mikki says today is special so Floppy joins me there. Andrew doesn’t need anything else for this journey.

We are travelling on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class. This starts with the lounge. Everything is lovely. First, the humans have a tasty, freshly cooked breakfast brought to them. Later, they will each have a neck and back massage. In between they read newspapers and sip Mimosas while I try out lots of chairs to have my picture taken in. It was all very relaxing – not something most people can say about airport departure lounges.

Next comes the flight itself. In Upper Class, there is only one seat on each side of the aircraft so my humans had the two at the very front so they were as close together as they could be. It was a splendid way to travel – the most important point being that neither of the humans complained afterwards about tiredness, aches or stiffness. Believe me, that is something with my humans! They both made use of the ability to turn the seat into a bed (and they both slept) but that wasn’t the feature they appreciated most (it was a daytime fight). They loved the extra legroom. They loved the big table – with food served on china plates, one course at a time. Andrew specially loved the television screen. It wasn’t just that it was larger than others – it was the many ways you could move it that meant he could position it where he could see the picture at all.

I watched one of the movies with Andrew: Toy Story 3. It was terribly sad. Andrew had to keep telling me that there was a happy ending for Buzz, Woody and friends. I’m still a little worried that this is the first time they have had a cuddly toy as a character and he turns out bad. We’re not all like that.

We travel Magical Express to Old Key West and are checked in to building 26 (very close to the Peninsular Road bus stop). We have our luggage with us and bell services offer to bring it round for us. That led to our first negative experience: they fail to bring our suitcases and do bring us someone else’s “Owner’s Locker” box.

By now it’s after 9 p.m. – after 2 a.m. UK time – so the humans decide there’s just time for a little unpacking and then for sleep. This leads to our next two negative experiences.

First, Mikki goes to switch on her bedside table lamp. It turns on OK – but the bulb is hanging loose at such a crazy angle she worries whether it is safe. They swap table lamps (Andrew doesn’t need light). If we’re passing Front Desk when not wanting to catch a bus, we’ll report this.

Next, there are new pillows on the bed. They are thick and solid. They are so thick and solid that Andrew can not lie comfortably on them. Tonight, he tries bashing them flatter. Later, he will give up and sleep on one of the cushions. By then, we are nearly ready to leave OKW for the moment. Andrew will certainly ask about alternatives when we come back.

The humans suspect a connection between the new pillows and the sales literature on the living room table for “The Disney Resort Collection”. Well, as far as Andrew is concerned, Disney can come and collect these whenever they like! ;)

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Figaro - it is great to read your reports again!

I'm glad the flight was great, and hope the humans can get the room issues sorted out too.

Can't wait to hear the rest of your trip adventures :mickey:

faline
10-22-2010, 09:55 AM
The trip started out wonderfully! Sorry there were glitches with the resort but hope those get all squared away and everyone can begin having a wonderful time at Disney!

Suz36
10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a relaxing journey, even if it was a long one. Looking forward to reading more adventures!

T-Belle
10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh Figaro, I love your reading your reports!! I can't wait to read all about your humans adventure!

2MuchWDFun
10-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Figaro--Love to be reading about your and your human's WDW adventures...looking forward to the next report!

KylesMom
10-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Glad you've returned, Figaro! What splendid accommodations your humans had on the way over - pure luxury! :cloud9:

I certainly hope that the OKW staff is able to correct the lamp & uncomfortable pillows pronto! Looking forward to your cat tales! :D

WDWdriver
10-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Figaro, it's good to have you and your humans back on this side of the "pond". We are looking forward to more of your reports.

pdrlkr
10-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

dtootsie42
10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Great to read your report!

Bethis26fan
10-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Glad to have you report to read and your review of Toy Story 3 it made me lol. :)

WDWCrazyKaren
10-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Figaro, you tell your owners to get on the "great pillow hunt of 2010" right now! They cannot spend sleepless nights in this grand adventure!

The flight they took sounds splendid, as does the upper class lounge. A massage before a flight? And china on a flight? Hmmm, sure makes me look silly taking off my shoes by the gate and rubbing my feet. Not quite the same.

Have a great time Figaro!

Dragongirlx
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Figaro I love your trip reports and can't wait for the next one. I especially love your description of upper class on Virgin atlantic.

Zawadi
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Virgin Upper Class! Lucky you!!

The first time that we visited the Virgin Lounge at Gatwick I got an unexpected present for the bar tender. She was opening a bottle of champagne and dropped it but caught it. She still proceeded to open it and I got a champagne shower :(

We've been lucky enough to have those seats at the front (6A & 6K). You actually get there before the pilot who sits above the upper class bar. Did you notice the markings on the bottom of the salt & pepper pots (mini aeroplanes)? "Stolen from Virgin Atlantic"

DizNee143
10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
what wonderful service your humans got before boarding and on the plane itself..
sorry to hear about the couple of negative things..theres always something!
off to read more..:mickey:

vizsla
11-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the report.

Joannelet
11-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Finally just getting to these reports now! :) Love it!