PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness in August

CzepielCrew
10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I need all of your help. I want to go to Fort Wilderness the last week of August and my husband is afraid that we will not enjoy ourselves if it is too hot. I want to go then because we won't have to pull the kids out of school and because of the free meal plan. Has anyone stayed at the campground in August? I don't want to go and not be able to do anything because of the heat.

TheRustyScupper
10-21-2010, 07:59 PM
1) Going to be hot and humid.
2) Just bring a portable A/C with you for the tent.

faline
10-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Will you be staying in a tent, pop-up, camper, or cabin?

The end of August will be hot and humid. When you are out of doors, nothing will change that. How comfortable you are at other times will depend upon your accommodations.

I would not want to tent camp at the end of August. But...if I had an air-conditioned Class A or C or stayed in a cabin, I'd go.

CzepielCrew
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I forgot! We are planning on staying in the cabins.

btharvey
10-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Florida in the summer is hot. If it rains a great deal, it can get cooler, but it's not guaranteed. There is shade, though, at the campground.

Just be prepared to sweat. That what we did for a couple August trips at FW. And swim. And boat. And snooze in an air conditioned cabin.

KAT1811
10-22-2010, 12:45 PM
It's going to be hot, very hot. I think it depends on how your family handles the heat. If you are so uncomfortable in temperatures in the upper 80s and 90s and wouldn't be able to tour then I would skip that time of year. It is hot and humid. Not my favorite time of the year to go weather wise but the crowds are much thinner. it's a trade off. Good luck!

7165red
10-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Don't forget waiting in long lines at the parks in the heat. It can really knock you out.:ack:

BugeyedMuggy
10-29-2010, 03:48 PM
We stayed in the campground in July one year with air in our camper. You will be in the cabins with air and will be ok. It does get humid in the summer but the parks are open late then too. If you plan to do the parks early in the morning and late in the day into the evening you will be fine. Go back in the afternoon for a rest or a swim. I live in CT and this past summer we had temps over 100 degrees. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and take your time.