PDA

View Full Version : Ever have trouble bring food in checked luggage?

Disney1977
10-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I want to take some breakfast food like cold cereal, oatmeal and bagels in one of our suitcase. Some of the food will be gluten free and I really need it to arrive.

So has anyone had an problems bring dry food in checked luggage? We are flying out of Providence RI on Southwest.

Thank you for your input.

SBETigg
10-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I've done it many times at many airports and have never had a problem with it.

gaffz70
10-21-2010, 12:43 PM
We have always shipped a box down the week before. We usually put BF foods,snacks, mist fans, autograph books, pens etc. Last time, us and another family stuffed a pretty big box and to ship it only cost $20 total. Well worth it esp when airlines are charging extra for overweight bags.

Zippy 1
10-21-2010, 01:43 PM
We do it all the time and have never had a problem. To avoid the suitcase being over weight we weigh it before we leave home.

BrerGnat
10-21-2010, 02:47 PM
We shipped a box via UPS a week prior to our trip. That way, I could track it and know that it arrived (no worries about it getting lost, or damaged). We had a lot of "crushable" food like dry cereral, bread, etc. So, having the stuff in a well packed box meant that it all arrived and it wasn't in crumbs.

Suitcases get pretty crushed typically. Unless you have hard sided cases, I'd send the stuff in a box.

It was cheap too. Much less than the cost of a checked bag!

KAT1811
10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
The only trouble I have ever had is bags popping open due to the altitude changes. I used to check a box and bring it with me but now I like using Garden Grocer instead. It is so much easier. :mickey:

rubato
10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
We always check luggage with some snacks, breakfast foods and liquor in it (box of wine). The only trouble is that jars of peanut butter always look suspicious in the xray machines, so they open the luggage and check it out. No biggie. Everything makes it through. And, I have an empty suitcase for souvenirs on the way back.
:mickey:

brad192
10-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Why in the world would peanut butter look suspicious in an x-ray machine? It's just pulverized peanuts, right? :confused:

rubato
10-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't know. Something about the shape of the container and the denseness. I just know that it's an issue. :secret:

Dragongirlx
10-22-2010, 04:00 AM
I don't know. Something about the shape of the container and the denseness. I just know that it's an issue. :secret:

It's because it would show up on an x ray as a big black lump. Its standard to pull anything out that looks like that.

BrerGnat
10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, peanut butter has a similar consistency to items typically used to make explosives.

Niecyboo
10-22-2010, 11:32 PM
We bring snacks from home often. One tip I like to give is to go buy a couple of those plastic shoe boxes. I usually get mine at the dollar store. This way the food stays together and doesn't get crushed. Then, as you eat the food, the boxes are great for those tiny souvenirs, pins and papers. I've gotten to where I use these boxes for "spillables" such as bug spray and sunscreen.

tundramom
10-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Only problem I ever had was powdered Nesquick all over my bag! Luckily, it happened on the way home or I would have spent the first day of the trip cleaning clothes. I had filled a Rubbermaid container (the bottle with the wide pour flip lid) 1/2 full so we could make chocolate milk for little miss, probably came home with 1/4 of jar, but believe me it was everywhere. It was in a hard sided samsonite, so can't really blame the airlines, a bottle of something (hairspray??) literally pierced the container. I'm still wiping that suitcase hinge out every year:funny: But boy does it smell good. BTW John, I'm shocked that there is no smilie for Chocolate!!