PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - Which weeks in December are the "Best"

brivers222
10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Here is the ground work:
I am trying to get our Honeymoon nailed down. We just decided Disney Poly trip combines the best of the both worlds...a visit to the islands as well as magical memories with the mouse and friends.

I know that the weeks leading up to Christmas are going to get increasingly busy so we wanted to keep it within the first 2 (full) weeks.

We recently just went Oct 9-18th and saw pretty decent emptiness at the start and then busier crowds at the end.

Dates in Question:
Dec 3rd - Dec 11th or Dec 10 - Dec 18th

Plans:
8nights - 9 days at the Polynesian w/ either Dinning or Deluxe Dining
as many MVMCP's as we can fit lol love them parties!!
Questions:
Which is a better week to go?

as of 2010 they have free dinning during the 2nd full week, so I am going on the assumption that it will be offered again this week in 2011 (although i know nothing is set in stone yet)

is it worth the savings of $1000+ to go the 2nd full week in December or is it worth it pay the extra money for better crowds the 1st full week, or does the crowds even matter at this point?

princessgirls
10-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm with the mind set that it is worth the savings!!

$1,000 is significant!

We went in December last year and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it! I'm a HUGE Christmas lover, and enjoyed every second of Christmas in Disney. We went at the beginning of December, as there was a lot going on at home during the month that we didn't want to miss. Crowds were manageable.

I have this same problem with our 2011 trip. If we go during the kids March spring break week off, it is a full $1,000 more than for the same EXACT trip in August.
We are going in August.
Julie:mickey:

brivers222
10-21-2010, 10:43 AM
thats how i am leaning too! we can apply the savings to the Party prices and have Magic Kingdom late night on several nights :)

I just love christmas time... 2nd only to Halloween and man, MNSSHP didn't let down at all!!!

SorcererJim
10-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Where does the $1000+ savings come in? "Price" of free dining? Remember, it not really free dining if you have to pay rack rates on the rooms... and rack rates at the Poly are not for the faint at heart... you should also consider A) taking any discounts on room only prices (sometimes upto 35-40% off) B) Are anual passes in your budget, will you go again in a year? if so, then you can C) Buy a tables in wonderland card and Pay cash for dining with a 20% discount.

Good luck with whichever you choose... you will LOVE the poly!

brivers222
10-21-2010, 08:44 PM
i am not exactly sure where the $1000 difference came from but between the 2 weeks this year there was around that difference in price. Ah i see they tricked me... they set me up with the Caribbean Beach resort bc poly is booked first week in dec this year when i was comparing. Didn't catch that first time around!

I will be surrendering my planning powers for the likes for MJ so i am sure they will figure out the best prices for us..

So i guess all prices the same, I am really interested in the crowds between the 1st and 2nd full weeks in december now.

Insanity Clause
10-22-2010, 07:05 PM
We opted for Dec 6-12 this year. We wanted to come for the Christmas celebrations but not be there for Christmas week. I hope that it isn't too crowed but it can't be worse than April was in '09 with the dance competition going on and everything.

RedSoxFan
10-22-2010, 08:40 PM
We opted for 12/11--12/19 this year as the week before has the pop warner crowd. We also got free dining. I'm guessing (not sure) that pop warner is there every year at that time??

christinelee10
10-23-2010, 05:48 PM
We went 2 years ago (around Dec 12-19th). The first day we were there, pop warner crowds were pretty high at the parks and dining. I understand they go every year the first week of December, so I would definitely look at Dec 11-18th as a better time.

faline
10-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Personally, I prefer the earlier dates in December. The closer you get to the actual holiday, the more the crowds increase. I've been early in the month and have found very little impact by the Pop Warner happenings (though we tend to not stay in the same resorts) and have been later in the month. With the later dates, the beginning of the trip is typically fine but crowds are beginning to build by time you leave.

forever a child
11-05-2010, 10:05 PM
We chose Dec 12 - 18 with 40% off our room pin.:cloud9:

wgbuck
11-06-2010, 08:51 PM
What are the "Pop Warner" crowds, ... and does anybody know when they're going to be there this year?

forever a child
11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Each year, Pop Warner Little Scholars, Inc. hosts the Pop Warner Super Bowl and National Cheer and Dance Championships. For the past ten years, the event has taken place at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex ™ in Lake Buena Vista, FL during the second week of December.

This year it is Dec 4 - 11th.

faline
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
What are the "Pop Warner" crowds, ... and does anybody know when they're going to be there this year?

From the Pop Warner website:

The 2010 Pop Warner Super Bowl and National Cheer & Dance Championships will take place from Saturday, December 4th through Saturday, December 11th at Disney’s Wide World of Sports™ Complex.

Typically, this event has little to no impact on the crowds in the parks. It can, however, have a fairly significant impact on the value and moderate resort(s) where participant typically stay during the event.

EllieMae
11-07-2010, 05:11 PM
We went on our Disney Honeymoon last year at Christmas and were actually there for 7 days the week of Christmas. It was probably alot more crowded than the first few weeks of December but was still wonderful! The weather was great and even though it was a bit more crowded we rode/saw everything that we wanted to :mickey: I say that you can't go wrong whichever week you choose and I hope that you have a magical time!

brivers222
11-09-2010, 08:10 AM
sounds like 11th - 19th is the time we are going! just wish it was this year again and not have to wait over a year lol