PDA

View Full Version : I saw the Snow White Academy Award!

kaerbear178
10-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has reported on a visit to the Walt Disney Family Museum, so I thought I would write up my visit yesterday.

First off, the museum is beautiful and still has that "new" feel to it with the same attention to detail that Disney is known for. I know a lot of people were concerned about it being in SF and the Presidio, but I love the location.

There are videos playing in all of the different galleries with stories told mainly by Walt. As you go through, there are sections with telephones that you can pick up and listen to stories told by other people in the family or employees that worked for the company. You could easily spend a good chunk of a day listening to everything.

Their are some interactive exhibits that I did - one where you try to match sound to an old cartoon and another related to musical themes and soundtracks.

I loved seeing all of the awards, the Disneyland model, and other memorabilia collected through the years.

The museum is definitely geared towards adults and I think younger kids would be bored quickly. I went with my husband, brother and sister-in-law and we all really enjoyed it. It was pretty empty on a Monday afternoon so it was easy to see everything without crowds. I would buy an annual pass if I knew for sure my husband and I wouldn't be relocating. I would love to spend a couple of hours at a time in each exhibit instead of trying to cram it all in at once.

If you are planning on visiting SF, I think the $20 admission is worth it! The view of the Golden Gate Bridge is amazing as well!:mickey:

Melanie
10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Thank you so much for the review. We were just watching the Phillies-Giants game and I was discussing the area with my DH and I told him I'd love to go back and visit, and the museum would of course be high on my priority list. It's been almost 10 years since I've been to SF.

Sounds like a great day! :thumbsup:

Joannelet
10-19-2010, 08:19 PM
The award use to be in DHS. I take it they removed it and put it in the museum? :( I'm glad I took a pic of it on one of our past trips.
THanks for the museum report! I hope one day I will make it there!! :)
I know someone who once attended a party at Sharon Disney's house a long time ago. They said a lot of the stuff that was in her house is there too. Very cool.
Thanks for the info!