PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flown with US Airways?

kcrc
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Ok - I usually fly Southwest, although I have flown Continental and JetBlue in the past. We love Southwest, but for some reason, for our December trip, the rates were really high for the flights we want (126 one way and 181 back). That's really high! (PHL - MCO)
So, we were able to get $74 and $64 each way on US Airways. I see these flights are shared between US Airways and United.
What are your thoughts on these airlines? Do you think we'll have a smooth trip?

Thanks in advance!!

Fangorn
10-19-2010, 01:28 PM
You'll get a lot of variation on this question. Here's my experience.

I do a lot of flying, and try my absolute best to go Southwest whenever possible. They're just the best out there IMHO. At times, though, I have to use other carriers including USAirways and United. Frankly, these two are on the absolute bottom of my list. I have never had a trouble-free experience with USAirways, and only rarely with United.

Notable issues I've had with USAirways: dirty planes, surly flight attendents, blown schedules and lost/destroyed luggage.

My personal summary: avoid at all costs.

Just my opinion. I'm sure others have had good experiences.

Steve

Brian
10-19-2010, 02:26 PM
We used to fly US Airways all the time. We never had a problem with them. From our local airport, flights to Orlando always have a layover. With US Airways, we'd always choose for the layover to be in Charlotte, NC. It's a nice airport.

In recent years, we've stopped flying US Airways. They merged with another company a few years ago and, shortly after that, their rates drastically increased. I'd definitely consider them again in the future if the price was right.

TheRustyScupper
10-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Anyone flown with US Airways?

Not since my crash with them.

PercyPug
10-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Not to freak you out, but we have had to fly with US Air several times over the past 1 1/2 years (back and forth out of Atlanta, no SW here yet...) and we have NEVER had a good experience. My husband twice had his flight delayed so that he missed his connecting flight and had to find a hotel near the airport because there were no flights for him until the next morning (at our expense). When my DD and I flew in July we had our early morning flight delayed until after 3pm to Providence, and then on the way home they delayed our first flight so that we missed our second flight, and then spent 7 hours waiting in the airport until we could get on another plane. PLUS as an added bonus, our flight attendant was intoxicated, slurring his words, smelled like a brewery, and spilled 2 drinks on people. I would rather drive/walk then every fly US Air.

kcrc
10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Ok- I'm really starting to panic here. Has anyone had good experiences with them? I'm not even talking stellar performance. I'll be happy with a very non-eventful flight!

sisterdisco
10-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Have had plenty of good flights w/ them. In fact, flying them tomorrow through Philly.

In general, my experience has been that nearly all of the airlines are OVERBOOKED and the big thing, is to have them overbooked and leave as soon as they board a full flight, leaving 15" before the scheduled time, so that anyone having a tight connection gets left.....to take a later flight.

RedSoxFan
10-19-2010, 08:36 PM
I've flown US Airways a few times and never had a problem. DH flies has flown quite a bit with them for business and also has never had a problem.

DiannaJ
10-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm with most of you I flew from Salt Lake City to Raleigh,NC. I couldn't get a drink or any food because they were doing way to much visiting with others on the plane and the seat was filthy. I won't be flying them anymore. I kind of liked Continental except there layovers in Houston are really long. Delta used to be my favorite but ever since they merged with Northwest they keep switching my flights and now most all of there planes connect in Minneapolis now. My original return flight was supposed to be in Salt Lake and they canceled all of the afternoon flights thru there and now they go through Minneapolis I hate that.

DisneyDoug2
10-23-2010, 07:26 AM
I am a gold member with USAir and fly with them every year to Disney and I would say 80% of the time I never have a problem and the other 20% is typically weather related which the airline can not control.

Don't worry just enjoy!

magicofdisney
10-23-2010, 10:07 AM
My husband flies US Air every week. They have their good and bad just like all airlines. His least favorite airline is Delta and I'm sure there are some that would swear by them.

TheRustyScupper
10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
His least favorite airline is Delta and I'm sure there are some that would swear by them.

1) Delta is "OK", but not overly fond of Delta.
2) I used to really enjoy Northwest for long flights.
3) But, still use Delta - for a while.
4) With over 400,000 unused air miles, I am kind of locked in.

kcrc
12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I just wanted to post a follow up to this thread to let you all know how our flight with US Air went. Everything was excellent actually! Flights were on time. Coming home - we made it from Orlando to Philly in 1:45 - that is WAY faster than any other flight I've had! After all of our apprehension, everything went smoothly. I just wanted to share with others, in hopes that you will have the same experience. Thanks for all of your inputs!

PrettyMinnie
12-29-2010, 09:38 AM
I just wanted to post a follow up to this thread to let you all know how our flight with US Air went. Everything was excellent actually! Flights were on time. Coming home - we made it from Orlando to Philly in 1:45 - that is WAY faster than any other flight I've had! After all of our apprehension, everything went smoothly. I just wanted to share with others, in hopes that you will have the same experience. Thanks for all of your inputs!

Glad to hear everything went smoothly. We have flown US Air from Philadelphia to Orlando and back several times and have had uneventful flights. An hour and 45 minutes is spectacular air time though!

teambricker04
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM

I am so glad to hear it all went well! As I was reading through the posts, I couldn't tell if you had made a decision :) My family flies one airline specifically as DH is an employee, but we have traveled via many different airlines and all have good and bad points. Even where you are flying in and out of can affect your view on air travel or an airline.