PDA

View Full Version : airlines fares

Frog
10-18-2010, 03:45 PM
We never fly anywhere (fam of five), so im looking for some experience here.
considering lots of trip ideas for next year...

one of the thoughts was to fly to orlando (instead of drive) during a spring break trip... and I was shocked at how much more the rates where during the month of march as compared to other times (summer) we were considering.
My question to the experienced flyers out there is: will the rates drop any between now and then, or are these the best rates i will get (as i look up on Kayak.com). Boy, everyone must want to fly over spring break! lol

Gator
10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
If they did drop, it would be very little. Spring Break and Thanksgiving are always more expensive to fly. Summer isn't as pricey because you have lots more time to drive instead of fly.

faline
10-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Airline rates have been increasing steadily over the last few years. On top of that, many airlines have added fees, most notably fees for checked baggage, which drives the rates up even more (be sure to check for these fees before you decide one rate is better than another). Airlines have also increased fares during more popular times to fly such as the end of year holidays and spring break.

It's hard to know how to advise you. It's possible you might find a fare sale for the time you want to go. Generally, though, the closer you get to the time you want to fly, the higher the rates will go.

The site you mention does not include all airlines. For example, Southwest fares would not show up on the comparison sites. You'd need to check their site directly. Even the airlines that are considered "low cost", however, have increased fares quite considerable in the recent past.

lynnek
10-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I fly periodically for business--book for myself and an assistant, and this past summer booked our trip to WDW--for five. I always check the discounted sites and have found some specials periodically, but in general, I will travel with Southwest. I like their calendar on their site of when the rates are lower--for example we are travelling Fri to Fri for that reason. Also, flying a 5 person family can add up quickly with baggage costs. We travel light--never more than 1 bag per person, under 50 lbs per bag, but even that is ridiculous on some airlines. When I travel for speaking engagments and I have been booked thru another airline, I usually ship materials etc needed as it is cheaper. I also try to do direct flights. I believe the airlines pay an airport tax or something everytime they land, which then adds to your cost. Flying you into their hub--lots of people etc makes up for it as well. Going direct, you don't have to worry about where your seats are too much--who cares, you're not catching another flight.

Aurora
10-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Check the airlines' online calendars to find the cheapest fares on any given day. Sometimes a Saturday stay gives you a cheaper fare, sometimes not. You have to kind of experiment with your dates.

Southwest does not charge extra for checked bags and also is not jumping on the bandwagon of charging higher fares during the most popular family travel times -- holidays, spring break, summer. You have to go on their website to find the fares -- they do not participate in aggregate fare search engines.

Don't know where you're flying from, but from Chicago the cheapest base fare is $79 each way, not including taxes and fees. Those usually run about $30 more each way.

Interestingly, this far out from spring break the fares are standard base fares. Usually what happens is if you wait a few months, a fare sale will be announced and prices will drop a little, but wait too long and they go up exponentially.

It's a gamble, but one that's always paid off for us. A few years ago over spring break we were able to get airfare to New York on Southwest for $99 round trip, including taxes and fees. For the five of us, it was cheaper than driving.

DizneyRox
10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Google the Law of Supply and Demand.

As the number of available spots on a plane goes down, the cost per spot goes up. As you approach the date however, ticket prices may drop as the airline scurry to fill each and every last seat, but tha'ts not alway guaranteed.

I always buy tickets as soon as I can, often before I make hotel or cruise reservations. If I know a date, I make my reservation.

Frog
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Very good information! Thanks to all that have posted! We also love to fly Southwest, and inthe summer its only 88 bucks to fly from the San Antonio area to Orlando. But its alot higher with them during the week our jobs and kiddos are going to be off (obviously a supply and demand thing). Any other thoughts are always appreciated, but until the airlines decide to drop their price a little (or disney decides to put spring break on sale lol), that "spring break" trip will have to be on the back burner so to speak!

Disney4us2
10-19-2010, 11:52 AM
For our spring break trip we are flying United. They are a little more pricey, but I like to fly direct. Being a mileage plus member, I have their premier baggage subscription for a year... 2 bags per person.no extra charge. I checked out Southwest and from Los Angeles (no direct flights) it is only $42.00 less than what I paid for on United. I like being able to have my seats assigned when I purchase my tickets. Just my thoughts, though not for everyone.

Good luck with your decision for a spring break trip.:mickey:

SorcererJim
10-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Southwest does not charge extra for checked bags and also is not jumping on the bandwagon of charging higher fares during the most popular family travel times -- holidays, spring break, summer.

I love south west, and fly them almost exclusively, but I have to disagree with that statement. For our trip in February from Buffalo during the "winter break", the prices for tickets were $184 going down, but was able to get $89 trip back... and I logged in right as they were released... within 4 hours, they were sold out of the "wanna get away" fares... so while I was lucky on the trip back (flying on a Friday) the price down was HUGE comparitively... so it may not be as bad as "the other guys" ... but supply and demand affect SW as well... you just have to be quick on the trigger when they release those fares.

Dakota Rose
10-20-2010, 10:48 PM
United and Delta (and maybe some others, IDK) offer a reduced rate if you redeem some miles too. For example, we can fly United from ND to FL for $85/roundtrip + taxes if we redeem 15,000 miles. May be something to look at.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-22-2010, 08:59 AM
And remember, when you are ready to buy, always book your airlines on Tuesday afternoons, after 2:00PM central time. The most expensive fares are sold on Friday-Tuesday mornings, and you will see big drops on Tuesday afternoons. Sometimes fares go right back up again on Wednesday mornings, and sometimes not until Thursday, but it's always a great bet on Tuesday afternoons.