PDA

View Full Version : Do you say "we should see different places" and still get drawn to disney?

dyin tago
10-16-2010, 10:06 PM
wife and I are both 50 and have been to mexico once,on one cruise and to disneyworld 6 times.

we have disney booked in november rather than in the stifling september heat of every other visit.:fan:

we also have the option of vegas which we really enjoy or a winter vacation to mexico or the caribbean which is great being from frozen canada but disneyworld has such an attraction to us that we will likely follow through and end up there again in november!:mickey:

we would likely enjoy the parks a lot more with the nicer early november weather compared to the heat and blisters of september.

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, we do the same thing often. However, DH and I feel its very, very important that our kids, ages 10 and 8, experience the rest of our country as well. Its important to us that our kids know there is a wonderful world to explore outside of Disney World vacations. We try to do a non Disney trip for every 1 or 2 Disney trips. We love all our trips, and I feel our kids have had some amazing experiences outside of WDW, but to be honest WDW is usually where our hearts are. Its just a special place to us.

jonsmom
10-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Yes, we do the same thing often. However, DH and I feel its very, very important that our kids, ages 10 and 8, experience the rest of our country as well. Its important to us that our kids know there is a wonderful world to explore outside of Disney World vacations. We try to do a non Disney trip for every 1 or 2 Disney trips. We love all our trips, and I feel our kids have had some amazing experiences outside of WDW, but to be honest WDW is usually where our hearts are. Its just a special place to us.

I couldnt agree more - we do the same.

JerseyDad
10-17-2010, 11:07 AM
.......WDW was our FIRST vacation as a family after 21 yrs of being married....and we became "hooked". That said....we've done other vacations since...once on Disney Cruise Line to Nassau (first time out of the US)...and the next year on Carnival Cruise out of Tampa to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. (of course each of those cruises included a short stay at WDW). What will get you going back to WDW is that you know what you will get regarding service and value. Vacations...for most of us...are once a year events (if that)...and we want the biggest bang for our buck. The familiarity with WDW also lends itself to making it an easy choice for us to return to.

Next summer....the wife is contemplating a trip to an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic....and I have zero interest in that. Reviews of it are spotty...it's in the middle of NOWHERE with NOTHING BUT THE RESORT for 30 miles......and it's an hour-plus drive to-from the airport...through areas of abject poverty. Some people may like that...but I just can't wrap my brain around it....particularly in the middle of summer when it's a billion degrees there :confused:

A trip to the west coast....or Las Vegas would be definitely preferable to me, instead of going to a semi-third-world country where you need to be confined to a resort compound. Our ultimate goal is to get to Europe....particularly to Italy, France, England, or Greece.

faline
10-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Disney World is a favorite destination for us as well. However, we also enjoy going other places as well.

BrerGnat
10-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I think the draw of WDW (for me, at least) is how "easy" it is. I know what I'm getting when I go there. I know where to go eat, what's fun to do, and what my hotel will be like. I know how I'm going to get around. In general, it's a "no brainer" vacation for me. Add kids to the mix and it becomes, probably, the easiest vacation destination in the world.

We do have the desire to visit other places, although we did some of that prior to having kids (cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, etc.) In addition, we live in CA and have visited the major destinations within the state.

We took our kids on a long weekend trip to San Francisco, and it was VERY difficult to find things to do for their ages (at the time, 3 and 4 years old). There was too much walking, public transportation was a nightmare, and food options were NOT kid friendly, for the most part. It's a beautiful city (my sister lives there, so we were visiting with her), but that trip was very aggravating for us, and it was only 2 days! In comparison, our week in WDW over spring break was downright easy. Our kids were entertained most of the day, food options were aplenty for them and us, and compared to a big city, WDW transportation is heaven sent!

So, while I know we will try to do other trips, I know we will keep returning to Disney in the future. Mostly because it allows US (me and DH) to relax and enjoy ourselves too. :thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
10-17-2010, 01:23 PM
My husband's father lives in Tampa. He never comes to visit us, so we *have* to visit him. (I know, terrible, isn't it)

We've been going to Florida almost every summer for the past ten years (missed 2). We usually visit with him for 4-5 days and spend time on the Gulf beaches. Then we head to Disney for 3-6 nights.

I LOVE our Florida vacations, but I do wish we could go elsewhere. Our kids are still young (5 and 7), so Florida works great for us. I would love to go to California... hubby wants to rent a cabin in Maine for a week (I don't know why, but he does.. ;))... but basically we'd like to see the country. Hubby and I did get to spend a night in NYC for our anniversary and it was amazing.

My in-laws might be moving to Costa Rica soon, so maybe our Florida vacations will be ending. I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Kathy

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I think the draw of WDW (for me, at least) is how "easy" it is. I know what I'm getting when I go there. I know where to go eat, what's fun to do, and what my hotel will be like. I know how I'm going to get around. In general, it's a "no brainer" vacation for me. Add kids to the mix and it becomes, probably, the easiest vacation destination in the world.

I have to totally agree with this. We find our WDW vacations to be way easier than any other vacations for all the reasons you mentioned. This summer DH had his two week leave from Iraq and we racked our brains trying to think of a vacation destination while he was in. In the end, as crazy as it sounds, WDW won out. Even though WDW, in general, isn't a relaxing vacation, it was just easier to plan, and we knew what we were getting ourselves into, knew where we would want to eat, what we'd want to do, and the idea of not having to worry about transportation was wonderful. All other places we considered we just weren't sure of. We ended up having a very different WDW vacation than in the past, but it was one of our best WDW vacations ever. We only spent half days in the parks, tons of time at the pool, did both water parks, and had so much time to just relax and try new things, that it was the perfect vacation for his leave, even though it doesn't sound at all like a place to go to relax. After you've been a few times, it really is one of the easiest vacations anywhere, especially with kids.

dnickels
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
I've got the freedom to move around with my job and I seem to end up back in central Florida quite a bit. Disney is certainly a big part of that.

In fairness to some of the other destinations, I don't think a Disney vacation is necessarily easier to plan, but it's most definitely easier for us. Most of us have hundreds, or thousand or tens of thousands of forum posts over several years on a board just about Disney. If we spent the same amount of time discussing Maine or Yellowstone or San Francisco or anywhere else I'm sure we'd know exactly where all the fun things to do in those locales are and we'd view that as an easy vacation to plan.

Joannelet
10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I have been to many places besides WDW and we always have a great time wherever we go...However, I think it does put it in perspective how much we are getting for the money we spend on a WDW vacation compared to other places. We are getting a lot more for our bucks. There is sooo much to do.

Kim Possible
10-18-2010, 09:53 PM
This happens to me all the time, I always say yeah mom i'll go with you to the bahamas, and then decide no i wanna go to disney, maybe i'll join you next time

brivers222
10-18-2010, 10:54 PM
lol this just happened to us.

We were all set to go to Hawaii on our Honeymoon next december.... but we instead decided to book a Hawaiian florida vacation for 9 days at the Polynesian as our honeymoon :thumbsup:

They had us at Aloha

Kim Possible
10-18-2010, 11:01 PM
lol this just happened to us.

We were all set to go to Hawaii on our Honeymoon next december.... but we instead decided to book a Hawaiian florida vacation for 9 days at the Polynesian as our honeymoon :thumbsup:

They had us at Aloha

i think that's a much more excited place! lmao, and congrats btw!

Mousemates
10-18-2010, 11:48 PM
This happened to us just a month or so ago for our 25th anniversary....we had talked about all kinds of "new places" to go....nothing ever really got us excited...until we considered the "disney option" and it felt right and we had a great trip.

kemps@wdw
10-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Yep :d

princessgirls
10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I keep coming back to Disney because it is an Easy vacation for me.

I LOVE the beach too...but I'm still in full "MOM' mode.

Julie:mickey:

Ms. Mode
10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
We also are (almost) 50 and we have just given up going anywhere else for vacation. What's more, our DD is 20 and she won't let us go without her...even though my DH keeps telling her we are going without her soon.....NOT! :D