View Full Version : Poly: Pampered and Indulged Final Days

SBETigg
10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
The Spoiled:
Sherri, 40-something
Sean, 40-something
Nick, 19
Elissa, 17

Objective: One big last family trip before both kids are in college and schedules/circumstances prohibit future family stays.

*Note: Sorry I have been swamped with work and not keeping up. I'll wrap it up quickly here with summaries so that I don't leave the trip report hanging without end.

August 25, Wednesday:

Spent the morning at Disney Hollywood Studios and finally got to ride Rock and Roller Coaster, several times. We hopped between Rock and Roller and Tower of Terror for most of the morning, with some shopping and dining in between.

Grabbed breakfast at Fairfax Fare, bagel egg bacon cheese sandwiches, mediocre. The CM at Fairfax refused to let us use our dining plan credits for breakfast because we couldn't tell her how many we had left by an exact count. Yes, it was weird. She seemed to think that we had to know an exact count or she wouldn't even try to put the order in. We ended up just paying cash and vowing to complain about her to management (which we totally have not done, of course, because it was forgotten until now).

Old mom and dad (that's me and the husband) went back to the resort early for a rest while the kids decided to stick around and play at DHS longer. We just missed the Polynesian bus so we grabbed the TTC bus and had a nice walk back to the Poly from there. That's one thing I love about the Polynesian's location, having that extra transportation option.

We spent the evening at the MK to have the chance to play around on our favorite rides at night. Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain are all different and fun at night, to name a few.

August 26, Thursday:

We started the day at Epcot and finally managed to ride Soarin! Yay! We Fastpassed it and rode it, then went over to the Living Seas for awhile, and back to enjoy Soarin again.

I didn't mention that on a previous Epcot day (we spent the most time at Epcot this trip by far), we did Journey Into the Imagination and only due to excellent timing- the show was just about to start- the kids talked us into joining them for Captain EO. I never meant to see it. I'm not an MJ fan and have been a bit against the return of this one, but there I was. And it was so cheesy and dated, but that's what made it fun for the kids, and then fun for us stodgy adults in turn. Nick kept threatening to pick up a Captain EO t-shirt but he never did. If I could get my hands on one and send it to him at college for a joke, he would really laugh. But anyway... back to Epcot fun. We finished off everything we wanted to see and do and managed some repeats, then headed for a break until dinner.

Our big afternoon activity was deciding if we were going to box or ship home all our extra stuff or buy more luggage. We bought two more big bags and managed to plan out our packing.

Dinner tonight, Narcoossee's. There was a bride there in her gown with her groom in his tux and a small assembled wedding party. I guess they were skipping a big reception and just having dinner at Narcoossee's? I never figured it out. The bride's dress was gorgeous, but boy did she seem mad. It was the unhappiest wedding party I have ever seen (good luck to them!). We waited to be seated at the bar and remembered the bartender from a previous visit- great guy, longtime Narcoossee's bartender and his name is escaping me now. We toasted with champagne (and ginger ale, for the kids) and watched the little bit of Wishes we could see from the bar (dining late) then it was time to be seated by the window just as the Electric Water Pageant was coming around (perfect!).

I was in a seafood mood, so I started with chilled crab and went right to the whole Maine lobster entree, yum. All good. Sean had the artisanal cheese plate and crab-crusted Flounder with crushed fingerling potatoes, haricots verts, and Meyer lemon sauce (excellent). Nick had crab cakes (he loves) and also the crab-crusted flounder. Elissa had the tomato and stone fruit salad with house-made ricotta cheese, greens, and aged balsamic vinegar then the Tanglewood Farms chicken breast with "loaded" mashed potatoes, spinach, and bacon vinaigrette (she had the same thing on our last Narcoossee's visit and couldn't wait to have it again, loved it both times).

Dessert for me was almond-crusted cheesecake with lambert cherry sauce (one of my favorite WDW desserts), gelato sampler for Sean, cheese plate for Nick, and strawberry shortcake for Elissa. The verdict: Service was a little spottier than usual, though not bad. Dining went quite late. We were all very pleased with our meals. Five stars out of five- Narcoossee's continues to rate at the top of WDW dining for me, one of the best.

August 27, Friday, departure day:
We finished packing (tight fit, heavy bags) and called for bell services, who came promptly. After securing our bags and checking out, we went over to spend the morning/afternoon at the MK (our last day traditional park). We redid our favorites. I had my life threatened on Pirates for asking someone to stop taking flash pictures (how dare I) but it gave us something to laugh about later.

We grabbed lunch at Pecos Bill and I dropped my burger at the fixins bar- oh no! Must be the shaky hands from being threatened. :) But a CM saw me and she told me not to worry, that she would get me another, and she did. Her name was Niaches (or something, I might have spelling wrong) and she really made me smile by going above and beyond. Yay for great CMs! We headed back to the Poly with joy in our hearts.

I usually cry as I'm waiting for the ride to the airport (that same white stretch limo), but not this time. I had a really full trip, made a lot of great memories, did some fun shopping and great eating, and couldn't really ask for more. Until now. Now I am ready to go back. But then, I was ready to head home and very happy after another wonderful family WDW vacation. Thanks for reading!

Previous Report: Day 7 Part Two (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=175564)

faline
10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Sherri: Thanks for all your terrific reports! They've been great fun to read and I've enjoyed each one! I'm glad you had such a wonderful family trip!

RedSoxFan
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I enjoyed your trip reports. A great relaxing trip with the family. Having 1 out of college and 2 in college --- no big family vacations with all of us anymore. =O)

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Great reports. Really enjoyed them and thy have given me much food for thought. And hopes for the future trips when our kids are older and fairly self sufficent! :thumbsup:

KylesMom
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
What a wonderful trip for your family, Sherri. Lots of "firsts" with some great traditions continuing. Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful details with us - your reports were great! :mickey:

2MuchWDFun
10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for finishing up your trip report---I've been watching for it! You really have a great way of describing all your family fun. Hopefully you can find the Capt EO shirt for your son.

Glad you and your family had a fabulous time! Hopefully, you'll be able to all go on another vacation together soon!

Nancy

Dsnygirl
10-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Sherri, thanks for the final installment... I was looking forward to seeing how the rest of the trip went! I really enjoy your reports, and it always reminds me of how I'd like to slow down a bit and take it day by day. (and it gives me hope that our girls, even when they're older, will still enjoy travelling with us!) Thanks for sharing all your memories... it was fun reading them!

Suz36
10-20-2010, 11:31 PM
I usually cry checking out in the morning, leaving MK, waiting for the bus, ME ride to MCO... But it's funny, I didn't my most recent trip either, probably because it had been just DH and I therefore I was anxious to get back to the kids, and I knew we'd be back in less than 4 months. Speaking of...I know this was a last hurrah before college, but you've got to have some plan in your head for a return, right??? I know I can't leave unless I have that plan!
Thanks for the great reports - I've really enjoyed reading about your relaxed touring!

SBETigg
10-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Yes, I do have a plan. :) I want to head back with my husband for the Food and Wine Festival in 2011, once both kids are safely away at college settling into their routines. We'll be back at the Grand Floridian for that (though I'm still thinking about maybe Yacht or Beach club).

And I don't rule out future family trips. I keep thinking that it will happen again, even if I have no idea when, with school schedules, or who else will be joining us, depending on new relationships. I think it would be nice to try out the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary. DVC might make sense for us at some point, as a family.

pdrlkr
10-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

White Rose
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
This sounded like an amazing trip! And I didn't realize until reading about your conference trip that you're an author! My friend actually owns one of your books, I believe. :blush:

But, you're a fantastic writer and story-teller--definitely can see that from these trip reports.

Thanks so much for sharing and looking forward to trip reports from you in the future!

lynnek
10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Loved your trip reports!! I learned a lot and made ADR's for dinner at Sanaa the first night we're there. Just had my husband read your review and it was a must do:thumbsup: We have also booked Narcoossee's. I am always confused with the constant snapping of flash photos thing--we've noticed this to be prevelant at broadway shows as well. Nothing like watching Phantom of the Opera in "flash". Never know what to do.

SBETigg
10-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Thank you all for reading and commenting. Lynne, I hope you love Sanaa and Narcoossee's.