PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Rays or Columbia Harbour House?

DisneyFr33k
10-14-2010, 08:40 AM
We ate at Cosmic Ray's 7 years ago and DH didn't enjoy the experience (plus we didn't know the two different sides offered two different menus).

Since then, we've always gone to Columbia Harbour House.

I'm curious about Cosmic Rays for our up coming trip.

Which is your preference and why?

btharvey
10-14-2010, 09:10 AM
If the act is performing, I get a kick out of Cosmic Ray's. Since it has three sides to order, we can generally find something that everyone will like (unlike the Noodle Station, which sadly doesn't even have any noodles!!!).

Frankly, we've never eaten at the Columbia Harbor House, but as I look at their menu online, I'm pretty sure I'd get tired of the chicken and fish. Cosmic Ray's has standard fare (burgers, hotdogs, pulled pork, chicken, (no fish), salads, veggie stuff, etc.).

We might eat once in a while at Columbia Harbor House for fish, but usually Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe, even though bigger it's more open, too, and not too bad.

c&d
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Columbia for us. The food's good, it's mostly the atmosphere that makes it a must for us. We like that you can always find a seat in the upstairs section and it's not crowded. We find it to be a little more quiet that the other places to eat. If you get a seat by the window upstairs it's a great place to people watch while eating.

Mousemates
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
We eat at Columbia Harbor House once each trip...either fish or a wrap...the food is good and we enjoy sitting upstairs (where it is much quieter) at one of the little out of the way tables by a window.

azcavalier
10-14-2010, 09:28 AM
CHH all the way, though we ate at both last time.

There used to be a great Ham & Broccoli slaw sandwich on the menu at CHH, but they took it off about three years ago. Don't know why. It was my favorite QS meal in all of WDW. :(

disneymom15
10-14-2010, 09:37 AM
On our last few trips we started eating at CHH. We enjoyed eating upstairs, really nice if you can get a table by a window.
We also eat at Cosmic rays every trip. I think both places are good choices.

DisneyMom12
10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Although the show at Cosmic Rays is cute, I love Columbia Harbor House. Seriously the best tuna ever. I like sitting upstairs near a window. and watch everything going on outside.

Ms. Mode
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for this post, we are planning to give CHH a try for the first time in January and my DH just doesn't think we will find anything good to eat. :blush:

TheVBs
10-14-2010, 10:33 AM
We want to give CHH a try next trip too. We've eaten at Cosmic Ray's, love the show, and most of the food was ok to good - except the ribs!! They were terrible.

Stu29573
10-14-2010, 10:55 AM
CHH for us too. I like the menu better, even though its more limited, and the food quality seems slightly better than CR. I like the upstairs with the subtle nods to the Haunted Mansion. I guess if we had four kids and everyone wanted something different CR would be better, but for my wife and myself CHH is much better.

joonyer
10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
For the food, I would choose Columbia Harbour House, although DW and I like the salads at Cosmic Ray's. They are big enough to split between us. For entertainment, especially if you have little ones, Cosmic Ray's would be more fun.

princessgirls
10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Cosmic Rays...three bays of different food, a great fixing's bar and Sonny Eclipse. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Too bad I can't go today....
Julie:mickey:

WishingStar2006
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
We usually do both when at WDW but find that we like Columbia Harbor House more...it's not as much of a zoo as Cosmic Rays....they even have traffic control CM's there now...restricting how you can enter. And even though it's fish and chicken....the fried shrimp is good and you can't beat those seats upstairs....reminds we of the seats overlooking IASM from Pinochio's.

Gator
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Cosmic Ray's has three different "ports", depending on what you want to eat (burgers, sandwiches, chicken). Plus, and this is a big plus, Sonny Eclipse is a favorite of my kids. I can't imagine a trip without seeing him.

brownie
10-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I've never eaten at Columbia Harbor House, but I don't much care for the seafaring flavor of food.

We've enjoyed eating at Cosmic Rays, mostly for the entertainment.

#1donaldfan
10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
We've done 'em both and while I like Cosmic Rays, I love Columbia Harbor House...fish n chips....WOW !!:party:

Hull-onian
10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
We like Columbia Harbor House because it is quiet, the lines move quickly, and there is plenty of seating. One of our very favorites in the Magic Kingdom..After lunch, a Mickey :bar:..

DisneyFr33k
10-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for this post, we are planning to give CHH a try for the first time in January and my DH just doesn't think we will find anything good to eat. :blush:

We've been there for the past 3 years, and they just added the shrimp basket last year - YUM! Also, their apple cobbler is different than the standard cookie or chocolate cake.

Thanks to everyone for your votes! I guess we'll stay at CHH for our trip!

TheRustyScupper
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
1) Cosmic Ray's used to be our favorite CS.
2) But, with the bun change, forget it.
. . . new multi-grain buns
. . . they fall apart in your hands when dry
. . . they crumble in your hands with grease absorbed
3) Now, we take Harbour House.

Kenny1113
10-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Oops. I think I voted for cosmic rays. I HATE cosmic rays! I try to avoid it whenever possible. I love the lighthouse sandwich from CHH. I go there and get my sandwich while the fam orders from pecos bill.

HoosierDisneyFan
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Up stairs dinning at Columbia Harbor House :thumbsup:

disneymom2000
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM
We ate at CHH on the last trip for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. We all tried something different and it was really good.:thumbsup:

hannahandkalebmom
10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
CCh is one of our favorite CS places to eat. Food is good and we love the atmosphere. It is a lot quieter than Cosmic Rays especially if you eat upstairs.:eat:

JerseyDad
10-15-2010, 10:19 AM
.....Cosmic Rays for us. Great variety......plenty of room....their 1/2 rotisserie chicken meal is a GREAT bargain (my fav)....and they have chicken noodle soup that my youngest daughter has loved since she was 7 (and she's now 14!).

CU Tiger
10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
The Columbia House has better food, but Cosmic rays has a better selection. It depends how pickey you group is about eating.

KAT1811
10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Out of the two I prefer Cosmic Rays for the choices. We are a family of 6 so the variety usually has something for everyone in our party. (Plus we travel with my parents so add 2 to that)!

EPCOTcoffeegirl
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I couldn't tell you the last time we went to the World and DIDN'T eat at CHH :)

The atmosphere is great, even downstairs! (I love the alcove that feels like a ship's galley!) The music is always fun too :).

The fried seafood is great (I'm from South Louisiana...so that's saying something!), and my mom LOVES the vegetarian Chili!

There are more menu choices at Cosmic Rays, but CHH is the winner in our family's book :)

:end of book review music from Reading Rainbow:

Laughin' place
10-18-2010, 12:59 PM
I literally couldnt choose on this one.
If it were strictly a matter of best meal, Id lean toward Columbia. I think the food is pretty good at Cosmic Ray's tho, and I love the show. These are my two favorite cs places at WDW. I guess its a matter of what you are looking for out of the experience

mainemajor
10-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Columbia for us. The food's good, it's mostly the atmosphere that makes it a must for us. We like that you can always find a seat in the upstairs section and it's not crowded. We find it to be a little more quiet that the other places to eat. If you get a seat by the window upstairs it's a great place to people watch while eating.

We love it there, too. It's one of the few places you can relax while eating at DW

BriarRose0708
10-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I feel like this is trying to compare McDonald's to Taco Bell- Both are fast food places but have completely different menus that include a variety of food choices that are beyond the typical burgers, fries and nuggets (although those are still available if you want them). It depends on what your preferences are.

pianobabe
10-19-2010, 06:23 AM
I enjoy the food at both Cosmic Ray's and CHH. That being said, I love Sonny Eclipse so Cosmic Ray's gets my vote. I'm one of those who will be sitting down in his area singing along with his show.

mrmcgiv
10-20-2010, 08:52 AM
I am too late to vote but I say CHH - cosmic rays is Ok but way too loud. CHH has a few different CS options from the norm too.

Evil Genius
10-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Without a doubt...Columbia Harbour House! It simply isn't a trip to the Magic Kingdom without eating there!

In fact, it's always the FIRST place we eat on our trips to WDW. In was the first place I ate at on my first trip as a kid and I've continued that tradition with my family on our visits.

We love the menu...especially the vegitarian chili and cicken salad sandwiches and we always head upstairs to the quiet dining area. The place never feels crowded the way Cosmic Rays does and we love getting a table over looking the Haunted Mansion!

LudwigVonDrake
10-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Cosmic Ray's for Sonny Eclipse :mickey:

jnfr2424
10-22-2010, 03:44 PM
We always make time for Columbia Harbour House IMO its just quieter and they give you enough food for your $$

Laughin' place
11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
These are my two fave counter-services, and both have so many good memories.
They are so different that it is hard to compare.
I agree with many of the pp's : CHH has good food, a great atmosphere, and is one of the quiet corners of the Kingdom.
Ray's is usually higher energy and bustling. I am a big fan of Sonny's, and there is more variety there. Id say, do both !

DisneyFr33k
11-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Ok, so we just got back and I managed to get DH to try one lunch at CR and one at CHH. CR did redeem itself some in my DH eyes. He liked Sunny (sp?) but thought they could add more aliens to spice up the act som (but he is always the critic).

We liked the quiet, relaxed atmosphere at CHH more, but the food variety is good at CR's. So I guess it is personal opinion!

SandmanGStefani24
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I really like both locations. It really depends on what you're after. I always seem to pass by CR's several times each trip, so it's close to the action so to speak. For your standard burger, you can't beat it. I always liked eating there, but last trip I tried CH and was pleasantly suprised. The park was very busy, but it was nice and quiet inside the restaurant. I also (thanks to Intercotees who gave the tip) sat upstairs by a window. What a hidden gem! I was able to people watch in a nearly empty 2nd floor and see the riverboat and people walk by to and from the HM. What a great place to stop for a bite!

You can't miss with either, but head-to-head as this post asks, it's Columbia Harbor by a nose.

Donald Duck Rules
11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Columbia House Fish n Chips with plenty of malt vinegar is a WDW tradition for me

2MuchWDFun
11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
We've eaten at both--have only had the fish and chips and soup at Harbor House, they are good. The tuna sandwich does sound delicious, too.

However, my vote goes with Cosmic Rays because of the Chicken and Ribs combo (includes mashed potatos and greenbeans)--this is a large, tasty meal that is easily split by two adults. If you are on the dining plan this is a great deal...especially when you can easily feed two adults with one CS credit. We have never seen Sonny Eclipse's show.

BrerGnat
11-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I voted for Columbia Harbor House.

I find Cosmic Ray's to be incredibly dirty, every time I go in there. Plus, it's so unbelievably crowded all the time, and that just irritates me.

The only reason I went in there a few years ago was because I needed some chicken noodle soup, and it was the only place at MK where I could get that (I was getting over a stomach bug). I had to eat quickly, though, because the general disgusting nature of the seating area was making my stomach queasy again (and my friends, who were STARVING, decided to pass on eating there, because they were turned off by all the garbage everywhere). There was just food piled up in the trash cans and overflowing; food left on tables, dropped food all over the floor, tables were sticky or greasy. Ugh. Gross. I used to love that place too.

On the other hand, CHH has always been clean and peaceful when we've gone in there. I love the food choices (Lighthouse and Tuna sandwich are favorties), love the "dark" atmosphere, the decor, etc. I think it's a real gem of a CS place.

LandFan
11-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I LOVE Ray! He's soooo galactically cool:D I like their chicken and ribs a lot too (I think that is the only thing I've ever gotten there, come to think of it!)

CHH on the other hand... I've had pretty lousy, greasy, dried out food there. Maybe it was an off day last time we went but even my niece thought the chicken nuggets were horrible!

We will be trying CHH again in a couple of weeks due to it being our lunch stop on the Keys to the Kingdom tour so I hope it goes better... I like the sounds of the tuna sandwich...

Darbylew
11-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Well, I have to say I voted for Cosmic Ray's.
I have to say that it is ok. But I really like Pecos
Bill's better than any other counter service in
MK. I like Harbor House ok. I do like eating up
stairs where it is quiet. Sometimes you can find a quiet place at Pecos if you go up the
ramp into another eating area. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Well, I have to say I voted for Cosmic Ray's.
I have to say that it is ok. But I really like Pecos
Bill's better than any other counter service in
MK. I like Harbor House ok. I do like eating up
stairs where it is quiet. Sometimes you can find a quiet place at Pecos if you go up the
ramp into another eating area. :thumbsup:

I, too, prefer Pecos Bill to Cosmic Ray's. Just different strokes, I guess.

Sonny Eclipse does nothing for me. I find it annoying more than anything else. :blush: