PDA

View Full Version : Via Napoli - Not Impressed!

GrumpyFan
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Because it was new, we decided to give it a try last week (10/4/10), however, we probably will not return. Our server was friendly and paid pretty good attention to us. However, the pizza, which is what we came for, was less than good. It wasn't bad, but parts of the crust were burnt on the bottom and the toppings were quite sparse as was the sauce. We ordered the Extra Large (1/2) meter and there were several places on the crust where they didn't spread the sauce far enough nor put any toppings on, so it was just crust. We left feeling like we had just been cheated out of close to $70 and my wife and both agreed it wasn't worth it and we'll probably not return any time soon.

I'm going to watch this thread to see if others have a similar experience. We really wanted to like this, but it was quite disappointing. Hopefully others will have a better experience.

SBETigg
10-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Ooh, that's a shame! We ordered the individual pizzas and they were all pretty fantastic, especially the crust. Maybe that's the way to go here, or they were having a really off day. I loved the Margherita best, but we also had a quattro formaggi, a piccante, and an ortolono. They all had plenty of toppings-- too much in the case of the piccante.

Strmchsr
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM
What you described is actually the way "true" Italian pizza is supposed to be. It's definitely a little different than American pizza, but that's not for everyone. Brick fired pizza will be a little charred on the bottom and the cheese is supposed to just melt around, not cover the whole thing. Now, it's also possible that they had an off day. Either way, sorry it wasn't what you wanted.

disneymom15
10-12-2010, 05:47 PM
We weren't impressed either. Our pizza came out like yours. We too had burnt crust and sparse sauce & toppings. We had ordered the small pizza to share and each had a salad which I thought was quite small. We may try it again in Dec, but will probably order something other than the pizza.

SBETigg
10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
What you described is actually the way "true" Italian pizza is supposed to be. It's definitely a little different than American pizza, but that's not for everyone. Brick fired pizza will be a little charred on the bottom and the cheese is supposed to just melt around, not cover the whole thing. Now, it's also possible that they had an off day. Either way, sorry it wasn't what you wanted.

Chris, you might have a point that it depends on your expectations. But... a little charred, yes, but shouldn't be burned, and the emphasis is on the crust but the toppings should be sufficient, though not cheese all over end to end like one might expect from pizza chains. So it really is hard to say if this was an off day or if it's just not what some people expect from a pizza. My family really enjoyed it, but everything was cooked as it should be and exceeded expectations for us-- and maybe we had different expectations and more familiarity with the style of pizza.

Daisy'sMom
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Did you ask to speak with the manager? If I did not like my pizza, I would have asked for the manager and asked for a new pizza. I certainly would not have paid the kind of money they charge for something I did not like. :mickey:

phlo8810
10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
We are going for the pizza in november. Last nite I happen to see a show on food network or one of those channels. They were in Italy making authentic pizza and what you described is exactly what they made. They also made a point to point out the burnt crust as a sign that it was the real deal. I don't get it but apparently thats the way it is.

TiggeRia
10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
We are there several weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I had the pizza, and it came out as you described, but that's what I was expecting and I enjoyed the taste. I found it to be similar to pizzerias in New York that use brick ovens (Luzzo's-my favorite!). The rest of my party ordered entrees, and everyone really liked their meals. Dessert was pretty good, too, but it took a really long time for that to be served. I will definitely be returning here.

GrumpyFan
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Chris, you might have a point that it depends on your expectations. But... a little charred, yes, but shouldn't be burned, and the emphasis is on the crust but the toppings should be sufficient, though not cheese all over end to end like one might expect from pizza chains. So it really is hard to say if this was an off day or if it's just not what some people expect from a pizza. My family really enjoyed it, but everything was cooked as it should be and exceeded expectations for us-- and maybe we had different expectations and more familiarity with the style of pizza.

Hmm, well, maybe it was just our expectations were off. I spoke with a friend last night who said some of the same things. Regardless, the crust wasn't anything spectacular, in my opinion. Maybe others will have a different/better experience than we did. But, for the money, it just didn't seem worth it and we'll not likely do it again.

azcavalier
10-13-2010, 02:06 PM
We went two weeks ago, and got three different pizzas. They were all very good. I don't remember the names, though...my son got the Margherita, and my DW got the one with Proscuitto and Melon. It was *excellent*. The proscuitto was hard to eat, though. They laid it on in sheets, and it has a lot of fat in it, so that would get chewy. My wife took it off, and loved the rest. Mine was also good. One DD (10) had the Chicken Parm and loved it. It was a lot of food. The other DD (5) just had a child's spaghetti.

This is also where my wife had what she considers to be the best gelato she's ever had. She even thinks it was a better dessert than O'Hana's Bread Pudding/Bananas Foster.

Gator
10-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Has anyone ever had a really good pizza at WDW?

I wouldn't mind trying it on our next visit, mainly because I like trying authentic foods...how it's supposed to be done in those countries.

PETE FROM NYC
10-13-2010, 03:41 PM
From what I have seen, pizza in Florida is ketchup on a cracker.
As a NYer of Italian heritage, I don't think there is any edible pizza in the whole state.

Daisy'sMom
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
As a NYer of Italian heritage, I don't think there is any edible pizza in the whole state.

Have you asked people from Chicago what they think of NY pizza?
And by the way, I hate ketcup and crackers. :mickey:

Strmchsr
10-13-2010, 04:34 PM

I'm a fan of all the styles of pizza - Chicago, NY, true Italian, and I even enjoy a basic American Papa Johns every now and then. I agree with what you're saying about the pizza at WDW in general, but if you're into true Italian, then this place is it for you. It's nothing like the pizza on the rest of the property. They even import the water they use in the crust.

Jared
10-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Pete, I have always agreed with your take on Disney pizza. I am a lifelong New Yorker as well. My girlfriend grew up in Tampa, Fla. I tease her all the time about the disgusting Florida pizza. I have been living in Virginia Beach, Va., for the past few months, and the pizza is probably even worse.

But Via Napoli sounds different. It's traditional Italian pizza made by the folks behind Naples 45, a pretty decent Italian joint near Grand Central. It may be worth trying.

azcavalier
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Pete, I have always agreed with your take on Disney pizza. I am a lifelong New Yorker as well. My girlfriend grew up in Tampa, Fla. I tease her all the time about the disgusting Florida pizza. I have been living in Virginia Beach, Va., for the past few months, and the pizza is probably even worse.

But Via Napoli sounds different. It's traditional Italian pizza made by the folks behind Naples 45, a pretty decent Italian joint near Grand Central. It may be worth trying.

Oh, it is worth trying. Great place. We'll definitely go back to this one. Though we'll probably split a pizza instead of having everyone get their own.

TheVBs
10-14-2010, 10:36 AM
We'd love to try this next trip too! The only time we had an authentic Italian pizza was on our honeymoon in Venice. :cloud9: That was the first time we realized how different it is than American pizza.

thesplashmountaineer
10-14-2010, 08:01 PM
we ate there on 2010/10/01. It was my favorite restaurant for the whole trip.

Pizza is good but you really have to try the lasagna verde. wow. I want one right now.

and for dessert, try the Zeppole di Catarina.

Now i'm hungry.:mickey:

DVC2004
10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Sorry to hear! We liked it when we went in August. I know the crust shouldn't be burnt- but I always thought Napolitan style pizza was a little sparse on toppings. Anyway sorry to hear!:(

DizneyRox
10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
We are going for the pizza in november. Last nite I happen to see a show on food network or one of those channels. They were in Italy making authentic pizza and what you described is exactly what they made. They also made a point to point out the burnt crust as a sign that it was the real deal. I don't get it but apparently thats the way it is.
Agreed, this sounds like just about every brick oven pizza I've had. They are always a little different, very much a "home made" feel, not a mass produced style that I would say many "american" pizzas conform to.

I'm not always in the mood for brick oven pizza, but I know what I'm getting into when I go.

I'd probably have a heart attack though on a $70 bill for just pizza.

Donald Duck
10-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I just think you aren't used to the way "the real thing" is made in Italy. Pizza has been Americanized in a bad way IMHO. I'm a 100% Italian born in NY. I make my own pizza and it's just as good if not better than any pizza I've had in NY. I don't cover it with tons of cheese and sauce like the chains do (Pizza Hut, Dominos...).

I haven't had any good pizza outside of NY, with the exception of Frank Pepe's in CT. Pepe's makes some of the best pizza around.

Authentic Italian cooking is simple. They used the best and freshest ingredients they have and only use a few ingredients.
Once you start skimping on the ingredients (using jarred sauce or cheap mozzerella) or cooking it on conveyor belts like the chains do, it's not going to be as good as the real thing.

I think a lot of people out side of NY, NJ and CT have never had real Itlalian pizza. They have only had Pizza Hut or Pappa Johns and think that this is what real pizza is. Then when they have the real thing it's not what they expected and don't like it.

I have reservations at Via Napoli on New Year's Eve. I'm looking forward to it.
I will let you know how it was when I get back.

Donald Duck

:mickey:

Goes4FastPass
10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Have you asked people from Chicago what they think of NY pizza?
And by the way, I hate ketcup and crackers. :mickey:
Chicago?
The best pizza I ever had at WDW was the pizza we ordered "to go" from Giordano's 10 minutes from Fort Wilderness that we ate outside on the deck at our cabin.

Plex
10-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I just think you aren't used to the way "the real thing" is made in Italy. Pizza has been Americanized in a bad way IMHO. I'm a 100% Italian born in NY. I make my own pizza and it's just as good if not better than any pizza I've had in NY. I don't cover it with tons of cheese and sauce like the chains do (Pizza Hut, Dominos...).

I haven't had any good pizza outside of NY, with the exception of Frank Pepe's in CT. Pepe's makes some of the best pizza around.

Authentic Italian cooking is simple. They used the best and freshest ingredients they have and only use a few ingredients.
Once you start skimping on the ingredients (using jarred sauce or cheap mozzerella) or cooking it on conveyor belts like the chains do, it's not going to be as good as the real thing.

I think a lot of people out side of NY, NJ and CT have never had real Itlalian pizza. They have only had Pizza Hut or Pappa Johns and think that this is what real pizza is. Then when they have the real thing it's not what they expected and don't like it.

I have reservations at Via Napoli on New Year's Eve. I'm looking forward to it.
I will let you know how it was when I get back.

Donald Duck

:mickey:

I've observed the exact same thing about pizza. I'm from CT (about 20 minutes from Pepe's actually... and now I want to go get pizza! :thedolls:) and I've noticed that the further you get from NYC, the worse the pizza is. I think the FDA needs to start regulating it and not even let people call it 'pizza' unless it meets certain standards.

What's funny to me is that in observing where people are from that don't like Via Napoli, not a single one I've seen so far that doesn't like it is from the Northeast, and almost all of them have been from the South or Midwest. Pizza from those regions is certainly the absolute worst I have ever seen or tasted in my life.

Of course I haven't had Via Napoli yet, but by the sound of it, it sounds awesome! I'll bring back a full report in August :mickey:

SBETigg
10-17-2010, 11:37 AM
What's funny to me is that in observing where people are from that don't like Via Napoli, not a single one I've seen so far that doesn't like it is from the Northeast, and almost all of them have been from the South or Midwest. Pizza from those regions is certainly the absolute worst I have ever seen or tasted in my life.

Add Massachusetts to the list. I'm closer to CT and spend a lot of time in NYC, but I've had some great pizza close to home and in Boston. I have to think that more people outside the Northeast and tri-state area know good pizza or we wouldn't have so many constant complaints on the lack of good pizza at WDW. Though of course, there are going to be some not prepared for authentic Napolitan pizza. Overall, I think Via Napoli will please more people than it disappoints.

Checkers
10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
:mickey:From PA here and we were in WDW in August and ate at Via Napoli during their soft opening. The pizza is amazing! We are going back next week with family and are looking forward to having more -- my mouth is watering.

BrerGnat
10-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Add Massachusetts to the list. I'm closer to CT and spend a lot of time in NYC, but I've had some great pizza close to home and in Boston. I have to think that more people outside the Northeast and tri-state area know good pizza or we wouldn't have so many constant complaints on the lack of good pizza at WDW. Though of course, there are going to be some not prepared for authentic Napolitan pizza. Overall, I think Via Napoli will please more people than it disappoints.

Just remember, a lot of people in other states once lived in the Northeast...there's lots of transplants, particularly here in California (myself included...I grew up in NY and NJ).

In my opinion, the only thing that beats NY pizza is Neapolitan pizza from Naples, Italy.

If a restaurant gets its inspiration from Neapolitan pizza, you can bet it will be pretty good, especially to people who are used to "NY pizza."

My DH grew up in California, for the most part. I introduced him to "NY pizza" after we got married, and a NY style pizzeria opened up near our home. He was hooked! He then went to NYC and had some over there, and is now a convert for life. We love Naples at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. The take out pizza at Napolini leaves a bit to be desired (which is why I'm happy to hear that at WDW, they are not doing "take out" slices...the pizza quality really suffers when it's sitting around and is reheated..the crust gets soggy).

I can't wait to try Via Napoli next time I am at WDW. I always miss "good pizza" when I am down there.

ElenitaB
10-17-2010, 08:33 PM
If you want authentic Italian pizza in NYC, one goes to a select few restaurants (and they all must have brick ovens). One of those restaurants is Naples 45, sister restaurant to Via Napoli in WDW and Naples at DLR. Naples 45 was awarded the coveted certification of "La Vera Pizza Napoletana," in recognition of serving authentic Neapolitan pizza made with traditional ingredients, methods, and wood-burning ovens. Personally, I don't go to Naples 45 too often because the acoustics are awful (you basically can't hear anyone at your table), but the food really is darn good.

And even here in the Northeast (and yes, even in Bensonhurst - the "motherland" or Arthur Avenue, the other NYC "motherland") there's debate about what's the best pizza: a pie or a square (i.e., "Sicilian" which really doesn't resemble what one would get in Sicily).

AuntLaura
10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
We were at Via Napoli October 2 and had a very delightful meal. There were 7 of us. We sat at the center table and could watch the pizza being made. The seats and table were very comfortable. Our server, Guilia, was wonderful. The food was excellent: we had bellinis, the caprese salad and the appetizer selection, melon and prosciutto pizza, the picante pizza, the eggplant parmagiana,and the fried ricotta balls (?zeppoli?) for dessert. The pizza is definitely not New York or Chicago style, but then when you're in Italy, it's not supposed to be! It was wonderful in it's own way. We all walked out with big smiles on our faces.

Disney_Barbie
10-18-2010, 10:39 AM
It was still the "soft opening" when we dined there, but we were REALLY impressed with everything, we LOVED LOVED LOVED our pizza, apps & drinks. We thought the service was amazing and we loved the atmosphere.
Sorry that you didn't have a good experience :(

KAT1811
10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I think a lot of people out side of NY, NJ and CT have never had real Itlalian pizza.

Add Massachusetts to the list. I'm closer to CT and spend a lot of time in NYC, but I've had some great pizza close to home and in Boston.

Add Rhode Island to the list. We live in a very Italian concentrated area, mostly Italian immigrants from the "old country" and their families. Just about everyone has italian ancestry. Federal Hill is right in our back yard. In our old home our neighbors moved here some 50 years ago from Italy and they used to knock on my kitchen window to pass me food (make sure we were eating enough) she gave DD#2 her first table food at 6 months, pastina with gravy, she wanted nothing to do with baby food after that! How I miss Anna's cooking. Squash flowers, pasta, biscotti, lemon cookies, the best ever!

True italian cooking is very different than what most "italian" restaurants cook. We've yet to have anything outside of RI, Boston, or New York that even comes close to authentic italian. When DH used to work in Boston we would visit this fabulous italian bakery in the North End and got very friendly with the owner. He used to make us fresh sfogialtella every week. They were still warm on the way home. My favorite!!

I am looking forward to trying Via Napoli but I always expect the food in WDW to be different than what I am used to. They have huge outputs and I'm sure quality suffers to some degree. Most of the authentic italian restaurants in our area are small and intimate more attention to detail and they use only the freshest local ingredients. There is no way that they could keep up the quality with the same output that WDW has. It takes time to make good food. Each pasta sauce is prepared fresh from scratch never premade.

Donald Duck
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Add Rhode Island to the list. We live in a very Italian concentrated area, mostly Italian immigrants from the "old country" and their families. Just about everyone has italian ancestry.

You're right KAT1811, parts of Rhode Island and also Massachussettes do have large Italian populations.
Your post got me hungry for sfogialtella !

yummy

disneydad153
10-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Did he say $70 for the pizza? :confused:

Mousemates
10-19-2010, 03:38 AM
We ate there once back in September and while the meal was okay...the food was not especially noteworthy...not bad, but not on a par with some of the better wood fired pizzas we have had elsewhere. It earned about a B- from me..not a place I have to go back to...but also not a place I would only go as a last resort for a table service meal if I were on the dining plan.

SBETigg
10-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Did he say $70 for the pizza? :confused:

The most expensive of the largest size pizzas at Via Napoli is $36.

Donald Duck
10-19-2010, 08:32 AM
The most expensive of the largest size pizzas at Via Napoli is $36.

Is there a menu posted anywhere with the prices ?

phlo8810
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm from Philly and our pizzas are not bad either. Once you get away from the northeast with the exception of Chicago your stuck with dominoes, pizza hut etc. I've got adr's at via Napoli in a couple weeks and can't wait. Funny story about wdw my wife and I ordered a peparoni pizza an order of buffalo wings and mozzerella sticks to our room from a local non Disney pizza place thinking it would be okay. Boy were we wrong. The pizza was a tiny notch better than elios, the wings were fried chicken with a side packet of hot sauce and the mozzerella sticks were bread sticks with grated Parmesan cheese on them. Absolutley unacceptable where I'm from. I have had the boardwalks pizza which was acceptable but I can't wait for via Napoli!