PDA

View Full Version : Do restaurants make menu exceptions?

natstroop
10-10-2010, 05:18 PM
We are thinking about eating at Artist's Point on our upcoming trip. My DH has the bison steak picked out, but it is served with kimchi. We didn't know what that was, so we looked it up. It's cabbage that's been rotting (just kidding..soaking) for 5 days. Anyway, my DH can't eat cabbage so would they let him order something in it's place? I know of a few restaurants in our area that have no exceptions for their menus, but wasn't sure about Disney.

Thanks!

faline
10-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I've always found Disney to be very accommodating when dining there.

jillluvsdisney
10-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I think Artist Point would let you choose something else. My niece asked for mashed potatos at Rose and Crown and Le Cellier in place of what came with her dishes and there was no problem what so ever.

My experience has always been Disney bends over backward to make us happy. They will do a lot for people with food allergies or special diets . You could just tell them you can't eat cabbage because of a dietary restriction. I'm sure something to your liking could be served in its place.

Gator
10-11-2010, 12:25 AM
If it's an allergy, they'll definitely accomodate. If it's something that upsets his stomach, then tell them it's an allergy. Don't want bad stuff like that at WDW. And he'll love Bison steak. It's so much tastier than beef. Wish all those western train traveleres hadn't killed all those buffaloes 150 years ago.

Seasonscraps
10-11-2010, 04:42 AM
I've always found Disney to be very accommodating when dining there.

This has been my experience as well. I was never asked nor did I ever feel compelled to give a reason for a substitution.

natstroop
10-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that we can make substitutions. It's not an allergy, but definately something that doesn't agree with him. We wouldn't want him miserable the whole time on vacation if you know what I mean.

We went to a restaurant in our area a few years back. They had salmon with rice pilaf. My DH can't stand rice, so asked for fries or potatoes. The waiter said abosulety not. The chef doesn't allow substitutions. So we got up and left. We weren't going to be forced to order something we don't care for. I mean, it's not like potatoes weren't on the menu at all. It just wasn't served with the salmon. We've never been back to that place and never will either....unless they get a new chef.

LudwigVonDrake
10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Disney is very accommodating when it comes to food restrictions/allergies :eat:

BrerGnat
10-11-2010, 12:12 PM
The DISNEY restaurants will be pretty accommodating, but the restaurants on Disney property that are not owned by Disney (like at the Swan/Dolphin/Downtown Disney) may have more strict rules.

We ate at Bluezoo a few months ago, and ordered the filet. It came with Brussels sprouts, which neither I or DH cared for. We asked the waiter if we could sub something else, and he pretty much convinced us to leave the dish as is, as the chef chose that vegetable to complement the sauce, and the dish's composition would be "compromised" if we took them away, blah, blah, blah. So, we just said "fine, we'll take it as is." Well, wouldn't you know they were right! I actually LOVED the way the Brussels sprouts were prepared. They were amazing, and really did complete the dish.

Ill health effects aside, if a restaurant has a chef that takes a lot of pride in his/her dishes, I can appreciate that they might feel a bit miffed about people changing around what they took a lot of time to "perfect."

lynnek
10-11-2010, 12:50 PM
You know, that's the line I use with the kids--"the chef(me) chose that vegetable to go with this dinner and it's made to compliment it"-- I do agree that sometimes that is the case, but on the flip side, you are paying for it and why be uncomfortable!!! I can't tell you how many times we've gone to restaurants and I've had to try and figure out what was in those veggies/sides because the kids loved them!!

Seasonscraps
10-11-2010, 02:17 PM
The DISNEY restaurants will be pretty accommodating, but the restaurants on Disney property that are not owned by Disney (like at the Swan/Dolphin/Downtown Disney) may have more strict rules.

We ate at Bluezoo a few months ago, and ordered the filet. It came with Brussels sprouts, which neither I or DH cared for. We asked the waiter if we could sub something else, and he pretty much convinced us to leave the dish as is, as the chef chose that vegetable to complement the sauce, and the dish's composition would be "compromised" if we took them away, blah, blah, blah. So, we just said "fine, we'll take it as is." Well, wouldn't you know they were right! I actually LOVED the way the Brussels sprouts were prepared. They were amazing, and really did complete the dish.

Ill health effects aside, if a restaurant has a chef that takes a lot of pride in his/her dishes, I can appreciate that they might feel a bit miffed about people changing around what they took a lot of time to "perfect."

I can respect that but at the same time, if it's a food I won't eat, it's not really complimenting anything and just going to waste.

BrerGnat
10-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I can respect that but at the same time, if it's a food I won't eat, it's not really complimenting anything and just going to waste.

That's why upscale restaurants like that offer a la carte side dishes. I think it's reasonable to expect to be told "no substitutions" in certain types of restaurants, especially if the substitution would end up being more costly for the plate.

But, I think dietary restrictions due to allergy/food intolerance should ALWAYS be allowed and graciously done by the kitchen staff.

Seasonscraps
10-11-2010, 04:22 PM
That's why upscale restaurants like that offer a la carte side dishes. I think it's reasonable to expect to be told "no substitutions" in certain types of restaurants, especially if the substitution would end up being more costly for the plate.

But, I think dietary restrictions due to allergy/food intolerance should ALWAYS be allowed and graciously done by the kitchen staff.

ITA!!! But I wouldn't use an allergy as an excuse for a subtitution for something I don't like. That would put undue pressure on the chef and kitchen staff.

I have never been told no substitions - I have paid an upcharge for a new selection but I can't recall being told no. Great point about the a la carte items on expensive places, I never thought of it that way. Thinking of steakhouses, I thought it was due to the fact that they are sized for sharing since the entrees are generally larger then standard portions.

Jared
10-11-2010, 07:20 PM
That's what the poster above you thought about Brussels sprouts. If you have an allergy or a health concern, I understand requesting a substitution, and I would expect the restaurant to accommodate your needs. But if you simply dislike a certain food, I would try the dish as constituted. You may surprise yourself.

Personally, I never make substitutions beyond "dressing on the side" or "not too much mayo, please." If there is an ingredient I dislike, I pick another dish. No question about it.

Mogie
10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Disney restaurants are some of the the most accommodating restaurants ive ever been to. My GF has a wheat intolerance and it can be a challenge to find something on the menu without flour without having to order from the Gluten Free Menu. At every restaurant and counter service place the chef/manager comes out and makes sure she gets something good to eat that she'll enjoy.