PDA

View Full Version : If you won the lottery

caryrae
10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I was watching one of those "how the lottery changed my life" shows and was wondering if anyone here won millions and could live anywhere you wanted where would live or would you stay where you are now? What would be the one fun big splurge you would do first, new car, house, RV, vacation, etc?

I know we would love to live on or by a beach, not sure where though.

First splurge maybe a new car. I have never had a new car myself always used and of course have an ultimate Disney vacation.

Dulcee
10-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I would pay off my parents house and then buy myself a nice piece of property to build a house and a few horses.:cloud9:

One can dream...

ibrowse17
10-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I would buy my wife a new car, then take her to Tuscany. She deserves both:thumbsup:

PirateLover
10-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Depends on how much we won I guess. I know my husband's dream is to open up a dog rescue/rehabilitation center for strays and abused dogs. My dream as a teacher would be to form my own charter school. Both of us would love to be able to hire our friends too who are out of work.

On the lavishly spending side of things, I know hubby loves water sports and would kill for a wave runner and a small boat. Me, I'll take a buy in to the Disney Vacation Club, and my dream house.

alphamommy
10-09-2010, 07:16 PM
As I tell DD10, you can't win if you don't play. However, IF I did:

1. I'd take a long vacation to Germany and Austria.

2. Plan a WDW trip for every year. (I wouldn't do DVC because we like to stay at the Poly).

3. I'd encourage DH to start his own software business.

4. If DH still works, I'd pay off this house, or go a little upscale from what we have (I want a family room and a pool table!).

5. If DH quits/starts a company, I'd move, but to be honest I don't know where. He doesn't want to live in FL, so Orlando isn't an option. :( Left up to me, I'd want to live on a beach!

MNNHFLTX
10-09-2010, 07:47 PM
We would pay off our mortgage and any other bills. And we would travel much more! Other than that, no splurge. I know we would want to set up a charitable foundation too.

Truthfully, the idea of winning a lottery scares more than not winning it. I'm afraid too many people would come out of the woodwork trying to get a share and that would bother me a lot.

azdisneymom
10-10-2010, 10:08 AM
1. Pay for college for my kids.
2. Buy a house in Celebration and move there for good.
3. Volunteer in a special ed program at a local school.
5. Travel once in while.
6. Be generous to others
7. Volunteer with Purple Heart Family Support and The Care Package Project.

bostonsam
10-10-2010, 10:46 AM
1)pay off house,car,cc bills etc...
2)children college funds
3)buy Fla.home before I go on a 5* Disney Cruise:D
and of course make a hefty donation to March of Dimes

caryrae
10-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Would anyone buy a home in the new area in WDW property "Golden Oaks"?

Disney4us2
10-10-2010, 11:18 AM
If I won the lottery, I would:

Pay off my father's mortgage, and fix the house a bit. We share the house and I want to get rid of the carpet and put in hard wood floors.

Put college funds away for DD.

Pay off my car. It is only 3 years old, don't really need a new one yet.

Get more points on a new DVC home resort. (Mine is almost sold out).

Eventually move to the WDW area. DD is interested in working with animals... I am thinking... Animal Kingdom:)

What ever is left... goes into CD's or other financal ventures.

divinedi
10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Depending on how much I won, yes Caryrae, I think I would definitely look into Golden Oaks at Disney!!! Help out friends and family as well!!

Dragongirlx
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
New house for my sister and I with a garden.
New car each and a jag for my dad - he's always wanted one
Retirement fund for mum so she doesn't have to worry about money
Trust funds for my niece and nephew

magicofdisney
10-11-2010, 12:00 PM
We'd never win because we don't play. :) If we were to fall into a hefty sum of money, we'd do the obvious debt payoffs and completing the kids' college funds. I'd want to do a dream vacation to Disney splitting a 2wk stay between the Poly and AKL. My husband would probably want to do 2wks in Australia. Another thing I'd LOVE to do is buy an RV and travel around the U.S.A. for several months. We are a homeschool family and this has always been a dream of mine.

BellesRose
10-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I would move from Florida to Indiana or Colorado. Buy my parents a nice new house...buy myself a nice little house next door. Pay off all bills. Decorate both houses. Help my dad become self-employed so he can work part time doing what he wants, when he wants. Help my mom open a country store. Possibly open a little boutique for myself. Help my brother with whatever he decides to do. Help out my bestest friends in whatever way I can.

Mousefever
10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
1) Tithe to our church
2) Pay off debts
3) Set up trust funds for immediate family
4) Set up college funds for our son and our relatives' kids
5) Buy a new house here in Colorado, but keep the townhome for visiting friends and relatives
6) Buy a house in Vermont (where I grew up)
7) Take everybody to Disney World!!!

Amy

princessgirls
10-13-2010, 10:02 AM
1. Buy a beach home...a dream of mine forever!
2. Enjoy a fabulous Poly club level vacation with my entire family! Mom, Brother & family, Sister & family.
3. Trust fund for kids, and college secured.
4. JETS season tickets!
5. Tithe more to church and worthy organizations, and give back to the community with my time.
6. HIRE A CLEANING LADY!!

So nice to dream!!
Julie:mickey:

Ian
10-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Despite the fact that I never play the lottery, this is a question I've thought of often enough that I have a very full formed answer at the ready ... For the purposes of this conversation, I'm assuming I've won a very large sum of money ... $200 - $300 million.

The very, very first thing I would do is throw a massive party for all my friends and family and give them all a gift bag with $10,000 in it.

After that I'd pay off our existing mortgage and give my current house to someone who needs it. Then I would spend the next 12 months with my family living in Presidential Suite in Disney World.

I'd also buy a gorgeous beachfront home somewhere on the Gulf Coast of Florida, a really nice boat, and a couple of cars for myself. I've always wanted to own a Ferrari, so I'd defintely get one of those. Probably also a Porsche Turbo convertible, maybe a Range Rover Sport, and a Bentley too. I'd also buy my wife whatever car or cars she wanted.

After our 12 months in WDW were up, I'd then spend the next couple years traveling around the world with the family visiting all the places I really want to see (including, obviously, all of the Disney theme parks!). Might be a house in Italy and maybe one somewhere in the Caribbean or another exotic locale like Tahiti or something.

I won't bore you with the "un-fun" details, but clearly I'd also pay off whatever debts we have, set up trust funds, college funds, etc. for our four kids and take care of my immediate family very nicely ... my Mom, brother, Aunt & Uncle, cousins, in-laws, etc. I'd probably also set up some kind of charitable foundation to support a cause(s) that are important to me. Most likely something for children.

Scar
10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
First, I would tithe.

Then, I would buy a large farm and grow my own food and raise my own beef, chickens, pigs, etc. and live off the land.

BellesRose
10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I LOVE the farm idea! ^ I would totally have a farm in Indiana.

One thing I realized is that although I would give money to family and friends, I wouldn't tell anyone that I won money. I would find a way to give it to them anonymously and live my life with even more secrecy and privacy than I do now.

magicofdisney
10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
First, I would tithe.

Then, I would buy a large farm and grow my own food and raise my own beef, chickens, pigs, etc. and live off the land.
My husband could have written this word for word. His dream is to be completely off the radar and completely independent. Although our Pastor would be in on the secret.

Disney Hungarian
10-13-2010, 04:30 PM
The first thing I would do is hire a financial adviser. I am terrible with money. I would tell them I wanted a boat to live in and travel the world. I don't put much stock in possessions so the rest of the income generated would go to my families.

DisneyDog
10-13-2010, 06:06 PM
The usual pay off bills, put money aside for retirement and my son's future, fix up the house so that I have everything I want there (landscaping, new bathrooms, stuff like that.) I would still work, at least part-time, because I love what I do. I would buy a dog-friendly condo at Disney and get annual passes and go down there as often as possible. I don't need a lot of flash, I just want to not have to worry about money and be able to relax.

JerseyDad
10-18-2010, 08:53 PM
....first thing I'd do: Sign the lottery ticket!!!

....second thing: Tell No One!! I'm completely serious. The last thing I'd ever want to do is attract attention to the fact that I'm worth millions...and then have my life invaded...and even worse...my family members (or me) become targets for abductions (and no...I'm not paranoid).

.....the best part of having "serious money" is having piece of mind and the knowledge that financial worries are over with. I mean...really...how many houses can you live in? How many cars can you drive? If people notice that you're driving something new...you lie to them...and tell them that a stock you invested in paid off well...or that a new business venture took off.

.....of course...I'd visit WDW at least 3 times a year.....still stay at POP.....just more frequently.

ElenitaB
10-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I have played this game so many times!

Assuming I hit a very large sum (I think big like Ian), I would hire a lawyer/financial planner (I even know who). I'd pay off debts, get my mom and stepdad into a quality facility (she has Alzheimer's), ensure that my brother and his wife get their retirement home in San Diego, and then set up funds and college funds for the kids of family members.

I'd buy us an apartment in Chelsea or the Flatiron district in Manhattan, and my dream house in Celebration or Windemere. I'd pay off my DS's high school tuition for the next 3-1/2 years, and set up a full scholarship for the child of a single mom (like myself).

I'd make a huge donation to the hospital whose staff has given me great care over the past nine years.

Next: I'd set up an orphanage in Central America in memory of my late husband, and have my two oldest stepdaughters run it (one's an architect and the other has her MBA).

After that: I'd set up a fellowship for 10 Central American doctors (2 from each country) under the direction of my doc so that they can specialize in gynecologic cancers, because it's an underserved population in general (even here in the US it's an "poor cousin" field) and specifically because I'm a "teal girl" myself and also because one of my dear friend's mom passed from uterine cancer and there was so little knowledge and wherewithall to treat her.

So. yeah... I've put a little thought into this! :blush:

princessgirls
10-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Well...I didn't WIN the lottery, BUT
Sunday evening after a most perfect day spent with my husband in "Coach's Club" for the Giants game at the New Meadowlands stadium. I received a phone call from Fr. Mike of St. Anne's in Wildwood, NJ. They picked my ticket as the winner of their annual car raffle.

I WON A 2010 CAMARO!! OH MY....
My girls are 10 and almost 9 and are SO EXCITED!!! I'm excited too!! LOVE THE CAMARO.

There was a lot of jumping up and down and screaming going on in my house!!!

Think we are going to keep it for a few weeks, the girls will get driven to school in it, have a little fun and trade it in on a New Suburban...That's really what I want, and mine is 8 years old.
So that's my WINNING story!
Julie:mickey::mickey:

Evil Genius
10-20-2010, 09:17 AM
We haven't won the lottery...but I did win $100,000.00 on the gameshow Don't Forget the Lyrics a few years ago. So this topic is pretty close to my heart.

Although it was "power ball" size cash...we were able to pay off all our debt and do quite a bit of the work we needed done on our very old house.

Other than that, we didn't do much frivolous with it. We bought a vey nice above ground pool along with patio (the ground was too hard for an in ground) and we went to WDW for a LONG splurge style trip that our girls are talking about to this day.

The bad thing though is the IRS factor. We didn't really save the money owed to the IRS from the winnings (We debated whether or not to save the money owed from the winnings and pay it off up front, but decided in the end not to...may not have been the best idea...but what's done is done.

The best thing though...was right after I got the check for the winnings...we took our little girls on a shopping spree. See we aren't what you'd call an affluent family...we very much live paycheck to paycheck so most of the time when our girls have ever asked for anything we've had to say "no". However that night we took them to the mall and let them go at it! I mean there were limitations of course...but to see the elation on their faces when they weren't told "we can't afford it" when they picked up a Disney princess doll just made me feel good. Needless to say they shopped till they literally dropped that night!

Wow...probably just told WAY too much about my personal life but hey...it was a fun ride!

bostonsam
10-20-2010, 09:20 AM
We haven't won the lottery...but I did win $100,000.00 on the gameshow Don't Forget the Lyrics a few years ago. So this topic is pretty close to my heart.

Although it was "power ball" size cash...we were able to pay off all our debt and do quite a bit of the work we needed done on our very old house.

Other than that, we didn't do much frivolous with it. We bought a vey nice above ground pool along with patio (the ground was too hard for an in ground) and we went to WDW for a LONG splurge style trip that our girls are talking about to this day.

The bad thing though is the IRS factor. We didn't really save the money owed to the IRS from the winnings (We debated whether or not to save the money owed from the winnings and pay it off up front, but decided in the end not to...may not have been the best idea...but what's done is done.

The best thing though...was right after I got the check for the winnings...we took our little girls on a shopping spree. See we aren't what you'd call an affluent family...we very much live paycheck to paycheck so most of the time when our girls have ever asked for anything we've had to say "no". However that night we took them to the mall and let them go at it! I mean there were limitations of course...but to see the elation on their faces when they weren't told "we can't afford it" when they picked up a Disney princess doll just made me feel good. Needless to say they shopped till they literally dropped that night!

Wow...probably just told WAY too much about my personal life but hey...it was a fun ride!

oh my gosh,really!!!thats awesome...liked that show when Wayne Brady was the host:blush:thank you for sharing;)

Ian
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
We haven't won the lottery...but I did win $100,000.00 on the gameshow Don't Forget the Lyrics a few years ago. So this topic is pretty close to my heart.First of all that's awesome ... congrats!

But since you brought it up, I'd love to get the answer to a question I've always wondered. Exactly how much of a chunk does Uncle Sam take on game show winnings? I always sort of assumed you'd lose somewhere between 50%-60% in taxes. Is that ballpark?

Scar
10-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Exactly how much of a chunk does Uncle Sam take on game show winnings?It totaly depends on how much other income you made that year. You claim it as "other income" in the income section of your return. If you earned $50K, then you are taxed at the rate of someone who made $150K less deductions. If you earned $1M, then you are taxed at $1,100,000 less deductions. I believe the first case would be 28% fed plus state and the higher rate is 35% fed + state.

princessgirls
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
First of all that's awesome ... congrats!

But since you brought it up, I'd love to get the answer to a question I've always wondered. Exactly how much of a chunk does Uncle Sam take on game show winnings? I always sort of assumed you'd lose somewhere between 50%-60% in taxes. Is that ballpark?

My Car is considered gambling winnings and is taxed as income.
So, on my $27,000 car my accountant told me to prepare for $6,000 to the Feds.
Got to love it!!
There is NO such thing as a FREE gift!!
Julie:mickey:

Ian
10-20-2010, 10:55 AM
It totaly depends on how much other income you made that year. You claim it as "other income" in the income section of your return. If you earned $50K, then you are taxed at the rate of someone who made $150K less deductions. If you earned $1M, then you are taxed at $1,100,000 less deductions. I believe the first case would be 28% fed plus state and the higher rate is 35% fed + state.Ahhh okay. That makes total sense. Not sure why I didn't think that one up for myself.

I guess I was thinking about how bonus income is always taxed at like 45% and assuming it would be the same way for game show winnings.

There is NO such thing as a FREE gift!!
Julie:mickey:Nope. Uncle Sam has to pay for bridges to nowhere somehow!

Evil Genius
10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
First of all that's awesome ... congrats!

As Scar stated it's taxed as income.

I recieved a 1099 Misc form for my taxes for it that year. I ended up owing around $17,000.00

What stinks was that the actual check was for $93,000.00 as the state of California took a state income tax out of it...but I was taxed on the full amount.

But still...one of the most amazing experiences ever!

Ian
10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
As Scar stated it's taxed as income.

I recieved a 1099 Misc form for my taxes for it that year. I ended up owing around $17,000.00

What stinks was that the actual check was for $93,000.00 as the state of California took a state income tax out of it...but I was taxed on the full amount.

But still...one of the most amazing experiences ever!Wow that's pretty good, though. You ended up keeping over 75% of the money, which is a lot more than I would have expected!

Evil Genius
10-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Wow that's pretty good, though. You ended up keeping over 75% of the money, which is a lot more than I would have expected!

Exactly, and once returning to our normal tax bracket in which we receive a refund each year it's not going to take all that long to pay off.

Ian
10-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Makes me want to go on a game show. ;)

Evil Genius
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Makes me want to go on a game show. ;)

It was an incredible experience! Albeit a VERY long audition/casting process! Which is something I'm used to in my line of work but it still was very tedious! lol

paragon
10-22-2010, 08:58 AM
The first thing I would do is disconect all my phones. Then, pay off my mortgage, then buy the beach cottage that my grandmother used to rent when I was a kid, and build a house in central Florida.

civilmousefan
10-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I will let you know tomorrow!!!

Ed
10-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't want to win. :nono:

Because if I DID, I would very likely keel over dead :faint: right then and there, the winning ticket would fly out of my hand, a passing :flamingo: would snag it and drop it in the lake, where it would get eaten by a :gator: , and nobody would ever know that I even had the winning ticket, much less what happened to it. :shrug:

They'd just figure that I had "bought the farm" (pun intended) and everybody would be left wondering why nobody has cashed in that winning ticket bought at my nearby 7-11.
:D

BrerGnat
10-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Ed...funny. :D

If we won, the first thing DH would do is get out of the military so fast he'd leave behind a trail of dust.

We'd not tell anyone outside of immediate family, and would swear all of THEM to secrecy, lest we "cut them off" and give them nothing. We'd take care of all our families...set them up for their futures, etc.

We'd actually stay right where we are, since we love it here, but finally be able to afford an actual house (which would eat up around $1M).

We'd probably keep driving the same cars. We'd not splurge on "things". Instead, we wouldn't work, but would spend our free time volunteering or something. I often think that I'd walk into the DIsneyland Casting office and offer to work any job at the resort (at my choosing) for a salary of $1/year. I'd love to "work" at the Happiest Place on Earth, but I'd not need to get paid much for it. I'd want to do it for fun.

We'd focus on experiences. Family time together...vacations, etc. We would stay at the most expensive suite at every hotel we visited, though. And, fly first class all the way. :thumbsup:

I'd also love to go to culinary or pastry arts school and open a restaurant/bakery.

Overall, we'd just be glad that we never have to worry about money again. We'd enjoy LIVING, which most people can't afford to do.

Scar
10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
For anyone that wants it to ramain a secret (and I'm sure that's everyone,) I'm pretty sure that winners (at least of large sums) are publicly disclosed.

BrerGnat
10-22-2010, 06:03 PM
For anyone that wants it to ramain a secret (and I'm sure that's everyone,) I'm pretty sure that winners (at least of large sums) are publicly disclosed.

In most states, you can choose to remain anonymous. They will publish where the winning ticket is sold, but that's it. No one has to know if you so choose.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-22-2010, 10:24 PM
As much as I love staying on property, I'd buy a vacation home in Orlando, one for me and one for each of my 2 sisters as well. That's after I paid off my full time home. And I'd fix up the full time home as well. And I'd love to go to Tahiti. It would be so nice to go shopping and not have to worry about if there's enough money to pay for something.
And I'd put money aside for my 3 nephews to go to college and pay off the student loans for the one who's already a junior at college.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-22-2010, 10:26 PM
And I'd also make a LARGE donation to the DBA foundation to find a cure for my 7 year old nephew and all the others afflicted with this illness.

CosmicRay
10-25-2010, 09:37 AM
My husband is the worship pastor at our church and in need of land and a building. So, we'd tithe and also buy land and give them funds for a building (our name would be NO WHERE in this place!)
My two best friends are missionaries and have both moved with their families the past two months. One moved to Ukraine and the other to Honduras, I would give them money to help the people that they are serving.
I'd like a larger house for our four kids with some land for them to play on.
Buy a camper, pay more into DVC, and pay off some debt we have.
Keep some for college and weddings for our kids. Go shopping at DTD and have a blast!
Buy DH some guitars and a car.
Buy both parents new houses
Hire a cleaning lady!

bostonsam
10-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Fan it in the faces of ppl who angered me:cool:

7165red
10-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Travel, travel, travel fly 1st. class and stay at 5 star hotels. and just follow the sun.:cloud9::cloud9:

Cinderelley
11-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Well...I didn't WIN the lottery, BUT
Sunday evening after a most perfect day spent with my husband in "Coach's Club" for the Giants game at the New Meadowlands stadium. I received a phone call from Fr. Mike of St. Anne's in Wildwood, NJ. They picked my ticket as the winner of their annual car raffle.

I WON A 2010 CAMARO!! OH MY....
My girls are 10 and almost 9 and are SO EXCITED!!! I'm excited too!! LOVE THE CAMARO.

There was a lot of jumping up and down and screaming going on in my house!!!

Think we are going to keep it for a few weeks, the girls will get driven to school in it, have a little fun and trade it in on a New Suburban...That's really what I want, and mine is 8 years old.
So that's my WINNING story!
Julie:mickey::mickey:

Congratulations! How exciting :thumbsup:

Cinderelley
11-01-2010, 03:22 AM
I am also assuming you mean a large sum of money. Aside from the usual pay off bills, take care of family, yada, yada, yada - I would set up a foundation to teach teenagers about safe driving - no texting, no drag racing, etc. One of my docs in the ER is a race car driver. Another friend of mine who is a paramedic is the most awesome speaker/teacher on the planet. I think the two of them along with some smashed up cars, would make a nice impression on some teachers. They certainly have on my kids.