PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray, Dvd's are they the same?

plutosnana
10-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I was thinking about purchasing a Beauty and the Beast DVD and Blu-ray since they have those big packs now. We have an HD tv, but a DVD player. Will a blu-ray DVD
work in a DVD player?

:goofy:

TinkRocks
10-08-2010, 09:20 PM
A blu-ray dvd will only work with blu-ray dvd players. I think the PlayStation 3 has a built-in blu-ray dvd player, if I'm not mistaken.

The blu-ray / dvd combo packs have a regular dvd (plays in any dvd player) in addition to the blu-ray discs.

I love all the extras that come on dvds, but am finding that the extras are now limited to primarily the blu-ray discs. I find this disheartening 'cos many people may not have the funds to splurge on the blu-ray discs and, like myself, am still slowly trying to replace my VHS tapes. But, c'est la vie.

dobby2010
10-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Right, blu-rays will only work in blu ray players. Dvds will also work in a blu ray player but not the other way around. Playstation 3s also play blurays as they have a built in blu ray reader. I find that there is a large difference between the two and will never go back to normal dvds now that we have a blu ray, the picture is just so much better.

mook3y
10-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I was thinking about purchasing a Beauty and the Beast DVD and Blu-ray since they have those big packs now. We have an HD tv, but a DVD player. Will a blu-ray DVD
work in a DVD player?

:goofy:

You have to have a Blu-Ray player in order to play a blu-ray disk.

A dvd player will not play them.

sorry :(

If you get a blu-ray player, it will play dvd's

WDWfanatic742
10-08-2010, 09:54 PM
you get a blu-ray player, it will play dvd's

They might but I doubt that every Blu-Ray player out there is also a DVD player. Just check the box of the Blu-Ray player to make sure that it can play both.

BellesRose
10-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I love all the extras that come on dvds, but am finding that the extras are now limited to primarily the blu-ray discs. I find this disheartening 'cos many people may not have the funds to splurge on the blu-ray discs and, like myself, am still slowly trying to replace my VHS tapes. But, c'est la vie.
I completely agree! I bought Beauty and the Beast on blu-ray and was so disappointed that most of the extras were on the blu-ray and not the DVD. I still have to replace a couple of VHS tapes, too :blush:

azcavalier
10-08-2010, 10:19 PM
They might but I doubt that every Blu-Ray player out there is also a DVD player. Just check the box of the Blu-Ray player to make sure that it can play both.

No, *every* Blu-ray player is indeed a DVD player. If you buy a Blu-ray player, you can chuck your DVD player. Also, Blu-ray players are coming way down in price.

When we buy Blu-rays, we always buy the Blu-ray + DVD combo packs, so that we can take the DVDs in the car on the car DVD player, or watch on a laptop.

PirateLover
10-09-2010, 12:11 PM
No, *every* Blu-ray player is indeed a DVD player. If you buy a Blu-ray player, you can chuck your DVD player. Also, Blu-ray players are coming way down in price.

I have found older DVDs to be finicky in some Blu Ray players. Our Samsung that we bought last Christmas seems to be OK but at my school, we have a Sony that was donated at the end of last year. So far there have been 3 DVDS manufactured around 2000 that won't properly play. You can only get to the menu. These DVDs work fine in other normal DVD players.