PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef...

LandFan
10-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Has anyone eaten at Coral Reef lately?? I've heard some REALLY bad things about it now that there is a new chef... I've heard they changed the lobster bisque and it now is very watery and a bit like a salt lick :sick: and we all know they've taken away the blackened catfish... what other issues have you seen? I am now wondering if I should even keep the ADR... the catfish was my husband's fave and the bisque was mine :(

BTW, the person who said this about the lobster bisque is a person who loved the lobster bisque and has gone there yearly for like 15 years so she is a very good reference! She actually had them bring the chef out she said it was so bad... the main chef wasn't there but the sous chef or whatever said that the main chef didn't like the old recipe and wanted to make it more French... It worries me:(

LudwigVonDrake
10-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I had a friend eat there in early September and he was not happy with his meal. He said the soup was inedible and was not happy when he left (especially at those prices).

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-11-2010, 01:18 PM
How is the steak there? We have ADR's there for the Candlelight Processional. Other than myself, my DW and 3DD are really not big on seafood, so steak or other meat menu item will be most likely.

CanadaLovesDisney
10-11-2010, 08:52 PM
We went there recently for the very first time and the food is AMAZING. I don't know what it was like before but personally we LOVED the mahi mahi, lobster ravioli, mushroom lasagna (I believe it was called) and the wave dessert!

It has become our favourite new place!

MagicalGuest
10-12-2010, 09:39 AM
We were there in August and really enjoyed it. The fish I had was great (forget exactly what kind). But DH and I didn't have the lobster bisque or catfish, so I can't speak to the quality of those dishes declining.

etibbetts
10-12-2010, 09:51 AM
We ate there on 9/18 and it was great. I did have the Lobster Bisque and it was just as good as it was two years ago when I had it.

I had the lobster ravioli for lunch and the cheesecake for dessert. Fabulous! Others in my party had the Steak and Pork. Everyone enjoyed their meals.

JanetMegan
10-12-2010, 01:16 PM
We ate there at the end of Sept (see my dining report). Service was cruddy and we had a rotten table but the steak was actually the best I had on the trip!

Jared
10-13-2010, 06:33 PM
I have tried Coral Reef since the new chef together, and I understand some of your concerns. I miss the blackened catfish, which was probably my favorite dish the restaurant offered. Actually, I think the menu has gotten worse overall, but we can say that about just about every Disney restaurant at this point.

I didn't notice much of a change to the lobster soup, but I'm not an expert. I wonder why the new chef changed the recipe? The old one had been successful for 25 years.

TheVBs
10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
We haven't eaten there in years. Our previous experiences there were just ok. My oldest DD wants to eat there on our trip next year so she can see the aquarium inside. I'm thinking we'll do a lunch, or maybe she'd be ok with just a dessert there since she's just interested in the aquarium.

Stu29573
10-14-2010, 10:58 AM
We ate there in June 2009. The food was average. The selection was poor. The atmosphere was slightly above average. The waiter was not exactly friendly or attentive. All in all, it was "ok" food served with lots of attitude. We did not get ADRs there this trip.

TheRustyScupper
10-14-2010, 03:16 PM
very watery and a bit like a salt lick (

1) Not usre if that is accurate.
2) But, I know deer hunters who stake the place out.

thesplashmountaineer
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
How is the steak there?

We ate there last week and the steak was good. Not spectacular but really good.

Be sure to try the Jack Daniel and baileys chocolate mousse for dessert. It's fantastic.