PDA

View Full Version : Playhouse Disney to be known as Disney Junior

Melanie
10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
From Variety Online:

Disney Junior branding effort launches

Transition from Playhouse Disney begins

By JON WEISMAN

The public process of rebranding longtime kid TV favorite Playhouse Disney as Disney Junior moves full speed ahead Monday with the launch of a series of customized ads for the new venture on the Disney Channel.

The initial spot, to be unveiled during the primetime special "Handy Manny: Big Construction Job," introduces the first of several variations on the new Disney Junior logo, in which the letters of the word "Junior" are clothed in the outfits worn by recognizable characters from each of the existing shows on Playhouse Disney. A "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" spot is scheduled to premiere Oct. 25.

"Each one has sort of a fun, play-along factor," Disney Channels Worldwide senior marketing and creative veep Richard Loomis said. "Some of the letters of 'Junior' are very obvious in terms of which characters they express, and some are a little bit more subtle. ... It's simple, but it does have another layer."

Playhouse Disney, the umbrella title for Disney Channel's morning programming aimed at children 2-6, will be replaced by Disney Junior in early 2011, with the entire endeavor expanding to a 24/7 operation and migrating to its own channel in 2012 (replacing Disney-owned SoapNet).

The logos symbolize Disney's effort to transfer long-standing allegiances into the new venture.

"As we started talking about Disney Junior more and more," said Loomis, "one of the big concepts behind it was how we embrace the characters that kids love on (such shows as) 'Handy Manny,' 'Mickey Mouse Clubhouse' and 'Imagination Movers,' or just more broadly characters within the Walt Disney Co., into the overall logo and overall brand expression. The concept we really arrived at, which I think is simple yet forward-thinking ... is one that does just exactly that."

Online, Disney will also begin evolving its DisneyJunior.com website from a mere landing page into a fully developed site, mainly targeted at kids but with some content for parents. Overseas, all of Playhouse Disney's 20-plus international outlets will switch to Disney Junior, though those efforts will lag behind the U.S. transition.

Ian
10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
That's right ... don't be concerned that your content is horrible. Just "re-brand" ... I'm sure no one will notice that Special Agent Oso is the worst children's show ever made and that five years ago you had the best children's television lineup in history only to now be replaced by complete and total garbage.

Rebranding will take care of everything since people are so stupid they can't tell quality from trash. :shake:

Joannelet
10-07-2010, 02:39 PM
LOL I knew Ian wouldn't like this :) LOL

It is a little silly to re-brand the same thing.....
I take it there will be no new shows coming along with this change?
My son loves special agent Oso...'
I just don't understand why Oso cannot say HULA HOOP! He says hoop a loop and it drives me insane!!!!

BrerGnat
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
That's right ... don't be concerned that your content is horrible. Just "re-brand" ... I'm sure no one will notice that Special Agent Oso is the worst children's show ever made and that five years ago you had the best children's television lineup in history only to now be replaced by complete and total garbage.

Rebranding will take care of everything since people are so stupid they can't tell quality from trash. :shake:

Hey hey, now. My 4 year old son LOVES Special Agent Oso. He's very picky about his entertainment too. ;) His favorite toy right now is the Whirly Bird Helicopter...

Do your kids REALLY hate every show on Playhouse Disney? Really? Mine love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Special Agent Oso, and Little Einsteins. I think all those shows are actually decent, and FAR better than anything offered on other kid's television stations. (*cough cough* NICK JR. *cough* *cough*)

Who cares what it's called. I actually think Disney Junior is better than Playhouse Disney. I mean, WHAT playhouse? There is no playhouse...

DisnIse
10-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm sure my perception has skewed since my kids have grown up, but when I think back to the WAAY old shows: Bear in the Big Blue House, Out of the Box, JoJo's Circus and even the shorts that they had between shows, I do agree with Ian.
The shows don't have that same pre-school educational value that the other ones did. And it might just be because my kids are older now and I don't really pay as close attention to what is being "taught" on TV, but I loved watching Bear and Out of the Box with my kids.

Wish those shows were on DVD....

BrerGnat
10-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I am on the other side of that argument. The "old" playhouse disney was on when my oldest son was very young...almost too young to be even watching t.v. I did catch a couple episodes of Bear, Rollie Polie Olie (sp?), and Jo Jo's Circus. To be honest, I found them completely and utterly void of any sort of value, entertainment wise or educational. The whole "person dressed up in a big animal suit, song based show" just doesn't do it for me, and my son didn't care for it either.

In contrast, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse teaches math skills, Little Einsteins introduces classical music and art, and Special Agent Oso teaches sequencing, logic, and problem solving. I used to love Higglytown Heroes too...thought that was a very good show...taught mostly "social studies" kind of stuff about jobs in the community, and I think that's valuable stuff.

I guess it all comes down to what TYPE of format your kids prefer to watch. Some kids are way into stuff like storytelling, singing and dancing. Some want more intellectual type entertainment, that has concrete skills being addressed, in an obvious way. My kids fall into the second category (as do I), so this current set of shows on the Disney channel suit us just fine.

AgentP
10-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Wish those shows were on DVD.... I have Bear in the Big Blue House shows on DVDs so they are available.

Personally, Special Agent Oso drives me crazy. I am a Kindergarten teacher and I think that teaching our kids that everything on Earth can be done in "3 special steps" is ridiculous. You can't even get your snowsuit on in 3 special steps.....okay, obviously I have given this too much thought:blush:

And Oso definitely doesn't deserve a character breakfast.

As for Disney Jr, it sounds a lot like Nick Jr. I think they could have been a little more creative or maybe just left it alone.

BrerGnat
10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
As for Disney Jr, it sounds a lot like Nick Jr. I think they could have been a little more creative or maybe just left it alone.

I had that thought too, but as we've seen recently, the idea of being "creative" seems to have been lost at Disney...I hope someone finds it soon!

Kim Possible
10-07-2010, 08:59 PM

I concur, well said Ian

Ian
10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Do your kids REALLY hate every show on Playhouse Disney? Really? Mine love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Special Agent Oso, and Little Einsteins.In fairness, no ... DS (who's my only PD-age kid right now) does like MMCH and the Imagination Movers. I'm not even sure Little Einsteins are on anymore, but when they were he liked them as well. And I liked them, actually.

But I just can't get into this current slate of shows ... Chuggington and Jungle Junction ... they're just weird. And I'm sorry ... no offense to your son intended, but Special Agent Oso is horrible. That is the dumbest bear I've ever seen. I'm not sure what lessons this show is supposed to teach kids, but apparently it's that even if you're a stone cold moron you can still be a special agent. :ack:

And yeah I agree with AgentP ... three special steps will get you like half a shoe on and that's about it.

BrerGnat
10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
In fairness, no ... DS (who's my only PD-age kid right now) does like MMCH and the Imagination Movers. I'm not even sure Little Einsteins are on anymore, but when they were he liked them as well. And I liked them, actually.

But I just can't get into this current slate of shows ... Chuggington and Jungle Junction ... they're just weird. And I'm sorry ... no offense to your son intended, but Special Agent Oso is horrible. That is the dumbest bear I've ever seen. I'm not sure what lessons this show is supposed to teach kids, but apparently it's that even if you're a stone cold moron you can still be a special agent. :ack:

And yeah I agree with AgentP ... three special steps will get you like half a shoe on and that's about it.

Let's not rip Oso a new one...

My kids find that show VERY funny. They understand that the bear is supposed to be completely dumb...it's the KIDS watching the show who are supposed to be the smart ones. I think this show is very valuable in teaching kids POLITE ways to correct the idiots that they will come across later in life. :D "No, no Oso, you can't use SOAPY water to wash fresh fruits and vegetables" (under breath: "you moron...")
:blush:

My boys spend a lot of time re-enacting these episodes. I hear a lot of giggling going on when they are doing this.

Kim Possible
10-08-2010, 05:03 PM
In fairness, no ... DS (who's my only PD-age kid right now) does like MMCH and the Imagination Movers. I'm not even sure Little Einsteins are on anymore, but when they were he liked them as well. And I liked them, actually.

Ian, you are my hero! You have said everything I always have thought about this stuff!

Disney Doll
10-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I like that it is eventually going 24/7. It's about time. I hate that it switches to preteen junk in the afternoon. My son likes MMCH, but he'd much rather watch Blues Clues, Wonder Pets, or Yo Gabba Gabba so Nick Jr. is the clear winner in our house. Hopefully Disney will come up with some new stuff once they go 24/7. I'd love to see some of the classic cartoons on.

Ian
10-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I hear a lot of giggling going on when they are doing this.Yeah, but I mean my kids giggle when someone passes gas. That doesn't mean it's high quality entertainment. ;)

TheVBs
10-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Our DDs are a little older now (and we don't have regular TV anymore, just Netflix and the public library), but we used to love Bear in the Big Blue House, the Koala Brothers and our all time favorite, Stanley.

Mammabruski
10-09-2010, 08:31 PM
My DD really likes the shows currently on Playhouse Disney, and I like most of them, too. Just because everyone is not a huge fan does not mean the entire line-up is junk. One person's "trash" is another person's "treasure". I think the shows are better than other pre-school aged offerings from other networks.... and this kind of comment:

Rebranding will take care of everything since people are so stupid they can't tell quality from trash

Is NOT the kind of thing I want to read on Intercot. Calling folks stupid for liking something you don't is not acceptable. At least not in my house...

John
10-09-2010, 08:57 PM
My DD really likes the shows currently on Playhouse Disney, and I like most of them, too. Just because everyone is not a huge fan does not mean the entire line-up is junk. One person's "trash" is another person's "treasure". I think the shows are better than other pre-school aged offerings from other networks.... and this kind of comment:

Is NOT the kind of thing I want to read on Intercot. Calling folks stupid for liking something you don't is not acceptable. At least not in my house...

I think you need to step back and look at this objectively - he's not calling you stupid.

Ian's point - which I agree with - is that generically, big executives think that rebranding something cures all the issues with it - rather than solving the problem or looking deeper under the hood (ie - looking at the programming and how they could make it better). Trust me - they sense there is a problem. You don't just change a well known brand without reason. If things were perfect, they wouldn't be renaming things.

There's an old saying for this- "it's like putting a band-aid on body odor". :D

Ian isn't calling YOU or anyone else stupid for liking it. Heck, I love Chris Farley movies - and that says something :sick:

Of course, there are different opinions and I am certain many here who agree with you and like the programming - but he is expressing a widely held belief that execs are sometimes so out of touch that they thing YOU - the public won't notice the difference.

Maybe it would have been better just to leave the word stupid out of it - but I totally get what he's saying....

Ian
10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
John got it right ... sorry if you misinterpreted what I said.

Joannelet
10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Ian, so I guess you won't be dressing up as Special Agent Oso this year for Halloween? LOL

When I read the name that they are renaming it to "Disney Junior" I actually got nervous. I thought they were going to make it for older children and change all the programming on it away from the preschool/kindergarten age bracket. I know that Nick Jr is for that age group but Disney Junior threw me off a little bit. I am glad that they aren't changing the programs. My son loves them all. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Handy Manny captures his attention the entire show. Imagination Movers, (especially Warehouse Mouse), Jungle Junction, Special Agent Oso started to capture his attention recently.

John
10-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Good point - that does make you wonder if Nick will be a little bit upset about the whole Jr. thing....

If they aren't changing programs, how do they think simply changing the name will help?

Odd.

crltkcagle
10-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Why must Disney always change things? I love PLAYHOUSE DISNEY! Why change the name to Disney Jr? And I have to agree the shows five years ago were better. Rollie Pollie, Stanley, PB&J Otter, JoJo, Out of the Box and Bear were awesome shows for the kids! Its almost like Disney isn't being very creative with the shows they have on now. I'm not saying my kids don't enjoy them but I find they are not a good as the older shows.

brownie
10-10-2010, 01:38 PM
I think it's a poor decision. Keep it Playhouse Disney and make it better. They could bring back some of the old shows like Bear in the Big Blue House and Rollie Pollie Ollie. Changing the name gives the appearance of doing something without really doing anything other than spending money. It's not the name of the block that's the problem, it's what's on during the block.

Mammabruski
10-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Maybe it would have been better just to leave the word stupid out of it - but I totally get what he's saying....

I agree that Ian's post would have been fine if he had left out the part about calling people "stupid". Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Peace.

dixielandings
10-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Having a one year old, I'm just now getting introduced to Playhouse. And I gotta say - I'm kinda ticked with this rebranding thing. And my first thought was - why follow in the footsteps of Nick by using the name Junior? Disney is supposed to be a leader, not a follower.

One thing I like a lot - the idea of this programming getting its own channel. It always bums me out when the programming switches suddenly from MMCH to Phineas and Ferb. Major whiplash!

AgentP
10-11-2010, 08:34 AM
One thing I like a lot - the idea of this programming getting its own channel. It always bums me out when the programming switches suddenly from MMCH to Phineas and Ferb. Major whiplash! I completely agree. Although Phineas and Ferb is my personal favorite cartoon:blush:, there doesn't seem to be enough for little kids in the afternoon. To be honest, I think that PBS has the best lineup right now of educational cartoon shows (Clifford, SuperWhy, Curious George). It is certainly as good as Playhouse Disney. What I find really tiring is how Hannah Montana takes over after 3PM. I think having a Disney channel for Preschool should help this problem.

Ian
10-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I agree that Ian's post would have been fine if he had left out the part about calling people "stupid". Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Peace.Again ... you're sort of missing the intent of my post. I didn't call anyone stupid. I was sarcasticly implying that Disney management treats their customers as if they're stupid.

I apologize again if you misinterpreted what I said, but I honestly felt like it was pretty obvious that I was being sarcastic.

But just so we're clear and there's no hurt feelings, I was not calling anybody stupid. In fact, my intent was the opposite ... I was trying to say that I don't feel like Disney's audience is stupid and that they're not going to fall for simply slapping a new name on the same (IMO) sub-par shows. It was a "lipstick on a pig" reference.

Hopefully that will clear things up so we can put this whole thing to bed.

BrerGnat
10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
So, I guess what no one has bothered to point out is, this isn't just a "rebranding" of the current line up. Disney Junior is the name of the ENTIRE CHANNEL.

Disney XD is the "new" channel for older kids.

They obviously had to create these new names to distinguish the two channels. They couldn't continue to call it Disney Channel. And, I can see how naming a channel "Playhouse Disney" would not be so smart. After all, the first word in the name of the channel should be indicative of what the channel is all about, for "search" purposes. I.E. FOOD Network, DISCOVERY channel, HOME & GARDEN t.v., etc.

Could they have come up with a better name? Maybe. But, I think it's a decent attempt and does convey what the CHANNEL is all about.

I'm happy they have decided to dedicate programming to this age group for the entire day/night. My kids don't typically watch "morning" television. They watch t.v. towards the late afternoon, while I am making dinner, and they are winding down and tired. I hate that they watch the same stuff over and over that we have on dvd and/or on our DVR (playhouse disney shows!). The availability of appropriate programming in the late afternoon hours is just horrible. This is going to change that. Not all little kids watch Japanese anime or garbage like "Hannah Montana".

BrerSchultzy
10-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Quick story:
My son (almost 3) loves the Imagination Movers. No, let me rephrase that...my son loves the Imagination Movers the way 15 year old girls loved the Beatles and Elvis. When they come on, he jumps up and down, grabs his toy guitars and drums and starts singing along. Unfortunately, they've moved them to his nap time. BUT, when we were in WDW this summer, we were at the store across from the Playhouse Disney Live show, and asked FIVE different cast members if there was any Imagination Movers merchandise, and none of them had even heard of the show. I think Disney's commitment to Playhouse Disney/Disney Jr. is clearly a low priority. And this rebranding, along with Chuggington, Jungle Junction, Timmy Time...it just makes it obvious that cutting corners and doing things on the cheap is the modus operandi. And guess what...they won. They were right. We still watch. Now, if Disney Jr. brings back classic cartoons, House of Mouse, Out of the Box...then we're talking. Of course, getting Disney Jr. is going to cost us more money, but that would make it worth it.

BrerGnat
10-11-2010, 01:36 PM
BrerSchultzy...you need to take your son to an Imagination Movers concert if you can. We saw them last year in Dec (our kids were 5 and 3) and it was AWESOME! Great show, even for us parents. :thumbsup:

Ian
10-11-2010, 01:59 PM
So, I guess what no one has bothered to point out is, this isn't just a "rebranding" of the current line up. Disney Junior is the name of the ENTIRE CHANNEL.A fair and important point. And I agree ... I'm also happy that they're fully separating the "junior" content from the "tweener" content.

Quick story:
My son (almost 3) loves the Imagination Movers. No, let me rephrase that...my son loves the Imagination Movers the way 15 year old girls loved the Beatles and Elvis. When they come on, he jumps up and down, grabs his toy guitars and drums and starts singing along. Unfortunately, they've moved them to his nap time. BUT, when we were in WDW this summer, we were at the store across from the Playhouse Disney Live show, and asked FIVE different cast members if there was any Imagination Movers merchandise, and none of them had even heard of the show.Yeah I have to say ... I've always found it completely mystifying how slow Disney is in bringing merchandise to market.

I distinctly remember when JoJo first got hot DD wanted JoJo anything and you couldn't find a single, solitary toy, doll, playset, or toy anywhere. It took months for it to hit the stores and by then she was kinda like, "Eh"

Kim Possible
10-11-2010, 08:09 PM
A fair and important point. And I agree ... I'm also happy that they're fully separating the "junior" content from the "tweener" content.

Yeah I have to say ... I've always found it completely mystifying how slow Disney is in bringing merchandise to market.

I distinctly remember when JoJo first got hot DD wanted JoJo anything and you couldn't find a single, solitary toy, doll, playset, or toy anywhere. It took months for it to hit the stores and by then she was kinda like, "Eh"

Disney always likes to release stuff, but never have the merch ready to do it! sorta drives me insane but i know it'll never change

Ian
10-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Disney always likes to release stuff, but never have the merch ready to do it! sorta drives me insane but i know it'll never changeI know ... it's maddening as a parent.

I feel the same way about the theme parks. By FAR Cars has been one of the most successful Disney/Pixar animated films of all time. So why in the world is there not a single Cars themed attraction anywhere in Walt Disney World??

sportsguy2315
10-12-2010, 10:43 AM
So if they're separating Disney Channel and Disney Jr, would the morning Disney Jr block stay or would Disney reprogram the block?

BrerGnat
10-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I know ... it's maddening as a parent.

I feel the same way about the theme parks. By FAR Cars has been one of the most successful Disney/Pixar animated films of all time. So why in the world is there not a single Cars themed attraction anywhere in Walt Disney World??

There's plenty of Cars merchandise though...

Why not an attraction? Because they are probably going to use DCA as a guinea pig to see how successful (or not) CARS Land will be. I sort of wonder if they've been secretly plotting to throw a Cars land into DHS in the near future. That park needs some serious help, and Pixar seems to be slowly taking over in the back. I, for one, would not mind the completely gutting the back of the park, removing the Motor stunt show and the entire Backlot tour attraction. That would be plently of space for Cars Land.

Joannelet
10-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I sort of wonder if they've been secretly plotting to throw a Cars land into DHS in the near future. That park needs some serious help, and Pixar seems to be slowly taking over in the back. I, for one, would not mind the completely gutting the back of the park, removing the Motor stunt show and the entire Backlot tour attraction. That would be plently of space for Cars Land.

I highly agree!!!! :) That would be so great to do that there!! I don't know anyone who wouldn't be happy with Cars Land!

Ian
10-13-2010, 07:49 AM
There's plenty of Cars merchandise though...

Why not an attraction? Because they are probably going to use DCA as a guinea pig to see how successful (or not) CARS Land will be. I sort of wonder if they've been secretly plotting to throw a Cars land into DHS in the near future. That park needs some serious help, and Pixar seems to be slowly taking over in the back. I, for one, would not mind the completely gutting the back of the park, removing the Motor stunt show and the entire Backlot tour attraction. That would be plently of space for Cars Land.I definitely agree that they're using DCA as a test bed (albeit an expensive one).

Not sure I see them ripping out LMA, though. They just installed that not all that long ago. Also, I don't have any real insight into how popular it is. We went once, find the entire process sort of annoying, and haven't been back since.

But I do agree it would fit best at the Studios. I wonder if they chucked the Backlot Tour area (which is sort of silly anyway now that the place is no longer a working studio) if that would give them enough space to do something Cars there.

Savvy
10-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Who cares what it's called. I actually think Disney Junior is better than Playhouse Disney. I mean, WHAT playhouse? There is no playhouse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Qk6YEbko0&feature=related

When Playhouse Disney first came about, this was the 'playhouse'.

Goofster
10-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree with Ian. Playhouse Disney has been in a downward spiral over the last few years, while Noggin/Nick Jr. and Sprout have skyrocketed past them as the channel for younger kids. My daughter (7 now) loved Playhouse Disney when Bear, Rollie Pollie Olie, little Einsteins, JoJo and PB&J Otter were on. My son (5 now) watched some of those, but then started watching Sprout and Noggin instead (he liked Max and Ruby, Backyardigans, Wonder Pets and the other Sprout stuff). My 3 year old son only watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and prefers everything on Nick Jr. In fact, our TV in the kids playroom rarely changes from Nick Jr. except for the occasional viewing of Little Einsteins on On Demand. PH Disney's programming started to lack quality and started to rotate out too much that none of my kids could really count on their favorite program being on there or even consistent time....especially in the evening hours. Now, they think of Nick jr. and Sprout for those shows and not Disney, which is kind of sad that Disney let itself be squeezed out of the marketplace like that.

BrerGnat
10-22-2010, 09:30 PM

When Playhouse Disney first came about, this was the 'playhouse'.

Wow...that was annoying. :blush:

But thanks for clearing that up for me. That always bugged me!

AgentP
10-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Wow...that was annoying.

I am speechless. I wish that I had never watched that. Yikes.

Ian
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM

When Playhouse Disney first came about, this was the 'playhouse'.That may have been sung poorly, but at least the shows they refer to were good television.

Also ... let's be real ... can anything be more annoying than Ooh and Ah??

PH Disney's programming started to lack quality and started to rotate out too much that none of my kids could really count on their favorite program being on there or even consistent time....Yeah, well I think there's an explanation for that.

My guess is (and it's only a guess) that as shows like JoJo and Bear and Johnny and the Sprites and all those became more and more popular the folks who worked on those shows actually (GASP!!) expected to be compensated accordingly.

And knowing Disney's tendancy to avoid actually paying anyone a fair wage for doing work, I'm sure they opted to send them packing instead.

BrerGnat
10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
That may have been sung poorly, but at least the shows they refer to were good television.

Also ... let's be real ... can anything be more annoying than Ooh and Ah??

Yeah, well I think there's an explanation for that.

My guess is (and it's only a guess) that as shows like JoJo and Bear and Johnny and the Sprites and all those became more and more popular the folks who worked on those shows actually (GASP!!) expected to be compensated accordingly.

And knowing Disney's tendancy to avoid actually paying anyone a fair wage for doing work, I'm sure they opted to send them packing instead.

Ian, can you Ooh? I can Ooh. ;)

I am okay with the monkeys...it's those dancing kids that I wanna throttle... :blush:

Ian
10-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Ian, can you Ooh? I can Ooh. ;)

I am okay with the monkeys...it's those dancing kids that I wanna throttle... :blush:Not a monkey fan. I miss Clay, the guy who hosted it before Ooh and Aah.

I mean Ooh and Aah aren't terrible, but their voices kinda grate on my nerves after awhile.