PDA

View Full Version : The Night Before or the Morning of?

DisneyFr33k
10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
We've done a great job keeping the WDW trip a suprise from the kids (11 and 13). They think we are going down to visit another near by theme park. So, here's our question: do we stick with our original plan and wake them up early on the day we leave, telling them, or do we tell them at dinner the night before? The night before gives them the excitement/anticipation and an hour to pack some personal things.... the morning of is also cool as we just get dressed and go...

Has anyone done this either way? What would you recommend?

brivers222
10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I vote morning of.

Belster
10-07-2010, 12:08 PM
We do morning of all of the time...get it on video.

Our kids always know we are going...they just have no idea when. We love doing it this way so that we can still talk about it and discuss it but really they have no idea. It has become a tradition for us to simply wake them up and say....today is the day!

#1donaldfan
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Night before....!!:party:

faline
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
If you tell them the night before, will you ever get them to bed?

wolfhog
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Morning of - we let them know one time on the way to the airport. Still have trouble hearing after the scream.

DARDEVL'S SURPRISE
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Our last trip was a surprise for our boys (13 & 6 at the time) as well. They thought we were flying to SC to see my grandfather. The morning of, I handed them their "airline tickets" which were actually Disney dollars in an envelope. The looks of shock and disbelief were priceless!!

I say "morning of" without a doubt:thumbsup:

However you decide, they will never forget it:mickey:

eeyorepoohfan
10-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I would also vote for morning of. I remember when I was younger, we took several trips to Disneyland (we live in AZ). One time, my parents told us the night before that we were leaving for Disneyland in the morning. Needless to say, we did not sleep that night! I remember another year and my parents had told us to pack some clothes because we were taking a road trip (we used to do roadtrips a couple of times a year, so this was normal). Well, as soon as we got in the car, my parents told us we were going to Disneyland! We were screaming and so excited! But at least we had all gotten a good nights rest the night before! ;) The few trips they told us morning of, were much more of a memory for me. Whatever you decide, I'm sure they will be so excited! Have a great trip!

DisneyPrincess21
10-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Our last trip was a surprise for our boys (13 & 6 at the time) as well. They thought we were flying to SC to see my grandfather. The morning of, I handed them their "airline tickets" which were actually Disney dollars in an envelope. The looks of shock and disbelief were priceless!!

I say "morning of" without a doubt:thumbsup:

However you decide, they will never forget it:mickey:

I agree, morning of. Otherwise they will be "Too Excited To Sleep!" :balloon:

Minnie_Mouse
10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
I would go for the morning of.

The kids might not be able to sleep that night, and get exhausted really fast during the day.:sleepin:

2MuchWDFun
10-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Absolutely the morning of!

I was one of those kids who wouldn't get to sleep because I was so excited about an upcoming event. Everyone will be happier if you do it the day of...

BrerGnat
10-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I also vote morning of. Unless you know your kids won't sleep the night before regardless...

Kenny1113
10-08-2010, 05:38 AM

We used to just surprise our kids once we got there ( told them we were running errands, until they saw the gates haha they bought it). I felt bad that they never had that "too excited to sleep" feeling, so we have been telling them before. And guess what they don't sleep! DS went to bed at 10:00 last night (couldn't sleep ) and is up now! He's too excited! So yeah I'm another vote for morning of. :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
10-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone! We're do the morning of.... now we need to think of a creative and fun way to wake them up. Any suggestions?

2 weeks from tomorrow! Can't wait! :cloud9:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I agree that morning of is the best!

Now... how to wake them up...

You can do order the call thing... where you pay to have a character call the house with a message? At least i think that is still around.

You can blast Wishes soundtrack or their favorite ride soundtrack and wake them up that way...

If you think they would like to pack some of their own "disney" things to bring, give them a list of that stuff to find and pack and have a note at the end (if they haven't figured it out already) that they need to get in the car and go.
You can also put things that they need to do (brush teeth, brush hair, eat breakfast, pack Disney light up toy, pin trading lanyard, etc.)

You can also have a "wake up and guess" goodie bag with all the stuff you think they'll want and maybe add a few cool toys/books/games for the trip (car or plane) in the bag and write a note from Mickey (downloaded from the internet of course!).

HTH...

BrerGnat
10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
How much time will you have in the morning? I'd make Mickey pancakes for breakfast. I'd write "We're Going to Disney World" on little signs and stick them in the pancake with toothpicks. :mickey:

Or, if you won't have time for that sort of breakfast, make english muffins or toast cut into circles and make Mickey heads that way.

#1donaldfan
10-08-2010, 12:19 PM

EXACTLY !! That way they sleep the entire trip there !! :thumbsup:

joonyer
10-08-2010, 12:29 PM
We were able to surprise our boys one year ( they were then 12 & 9) by planning a "camping trip" to Florida. Had the car all loaded and picked them up from school. We were going camping alright, at the Wilderness Lodge !

They didn't figure it our until we were almost to WDW, when they began recognizing the signs. They were so excited, because they had wanted to go to WDW instead of going camping anyway. It was a great surprise.

brownie
10-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I'd go with the morning of. Get them up a little earlier if you need to give them some packing time.

ALEXMOMMY
10-09-2010, 02:52 PM
I have surprised mine (DS 11 and DD 4) with a scavenger hunt the day before. Maybe if you had enough time you could do a small one that morning? I ABSOLUTELY love planning suprises,:secret: especially trips to our favorite place:mickey: Have a wonderful time!!!

AgentP
10-09-2010, 03:13 PM
You can do order the call thing... where you pay to have a character call the house with a message? At least i think that is still around.
I have never heard of this service. Who do you need to call to get it?

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-11-2010, 04:49 PM
I have never heard of this service. Who do you need to call to get it?

I haven't ordered the disney custom calls but, my DH has done it several times. I'll have to ask him... but, I had Cinderella call me on my birthday several times. I believe he went on disney.com somewhere and ordered it. UGH... now I'm on a quest...

Mousemates
10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
EXACTLY !! That way they sleep the entire trip there !! :thumbsup:

I like the way you think.:thumbsup:

AntMagsMom
10-12-2010, 09:08 AM
We told ours the night before only because my dad was picking us up at 4:00 a.m. for a 6:00 flight and my oldest would never have gotten to bed at a reasonable time without me telling them. They knew they had no school the next day so there would have been no reason for him to go to bed early, nevermind earlier than normal for all of us!

It still worked out great. I wish we could have done it that morning but it was just too hard timing wise.

buzznwoodysmom
10-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Have fun with the surprise. I love surprising our kids with Disney trips. We've surprised them about 3 or 4 times now, all different ways and different situations. I'm pulling another suprise in two weeks. They know we are going to WDW for a long weekend for Halloween, but they think we are leaving early Thursday morning. When I pick them up from school on Wednesday afternoon I'll have the car all packed up and have a Disney Halloween decorated paint can "goody bag" on each of their seats. They'll be thrilled. Planning the surprise is half the fun!

DisneyFr33k
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Planning the surprise is half the fun!

I couldn't agree more! We have decide to wake the kids up bright and early (5:30am) and tell them we have a family emergnecy.... when they are awake enough to ask what is the matter, we'll tell them that they need to hurry, because we don't want to be late for our flight to Disney World!

Can't wait!!

10 more days! 7 more work days!