PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain Refurb in January 2011?

WDWCrazyKaren
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Can someone "in the know" confirm if this rumor I just heard is true? I know this is the normal time for rehabbing Splash, I was just crossing my fingers that maybe it wouldn't happen this coming January. Too much to hope for?

Anyone know? THANKS!

Mousefever
10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Can someone "in the know" confirm if this rumor I just heard is true? I know this is the normal time for rehabbing Splash, I was just crossing my fingers that maybe it wouldn't happen this coming January. Too much to hope for?

Anyone know? THANKS!

It probably is too much to hope for, unfortunately. I've been down in DW in January 3 times in the last 4 years, and it has been down every time. One of the few bummers about going in January.

Amy

Strmchsr
10-07-2010, 11:01 AM
There's been no announcement on that one way or the other yet. As noted, it's "normally" down in January, but that doesn't mean it always will be.

Gator
10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Splash Mountain closing for refurbishment in early 2011
Oct 07, 2010

Splash Mountain will be closing for refurbishment in early 2011 from January 3 2011 to January 31 2011. This refurbishment may see the installation of the lap bars that have been in design for some time now.

Darn! Two January trips in a row. Two trips I get screwed. :thedolls:Wish I could get my hands on one these Disney Park execs. It went down for two months last year. Why does it need a full month this year? :thedolls:

My son really likes the new Thomas Land at the local Six Flags. Maybe I should save $3K and just head over there.

Today - this day - Disney STINKS!:mad:

Scar
10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Why does it need a full month this year? To install lap bars maybe? :shrug:

Strmchsr
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Two trips I get screwed.

I remember you getting all upset about this last year, too. Look, they close Splash pretty much every January for at least a couple of weeks. It's been that way for quite a while now. They are not doing it to "get" you. When a theme park operates 365 days a year, things go down sometimes. If Splash is that important, don't go during January.

And, yeah, I just received the official announcement, so what Gator listed is fact, not rumor. The lap bars are also fact, nor rumor. They will also be enforcing only 2 people per row now and doing the routine maintenance when they take it down in Jan.

BigThunderFan
10-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I just wish they would close something else for once in January. I sure wouldn't mind if Stitch was closed, or the Tomorrowland Speedway, but that never happens...:thedolls:

Gator
10-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I just wish they would close something else for once in January. I sure wouldn't mind if Stitch was closed, or the Tomorrowland Speedway, but that never happens...:thedolls:

I hear ya. As for not going in January, business doesn't allow me to go whenever I want. I'm trying right now to get my reservations moved so that part of the trip is in February. Of course, I'm hoping that the refurb doesn't push further and make all this extra work in vain.

Gator
10-07-2010, 02:12 PM
OK, so I'm letting the Disney Execs off the hook ;) Just got Southwest to move my flights at no extra fee WaaHoo! Just got Small World Travel to move my dates and add an extra day to the trip. Plus I get to stay at Coronado with free food instead of CBR. I'm even happier than before I heard the bad Splash Mountain news. Let's hope that WDW actually opens Splash for the time we're there.

AndyMan
10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
What exactly do they do during the down time and how long does it really take?

joonyer
10-07-2010, 05:39 PM
What exactly do they do during the down time and how long does it really take?

Cleaning, inspection. maintenance, repair broken animatronics and other mechanical features (water pumps, hydraulics, electrical & lighting), repainting, and I'm sure the list goes on.
If you think about how long and complex an attraction Splash is, there's really a "mountain" of work to do to keep it in good shape. It may not take a whole month, if they finish it a little early it'll be open as soon as it's ready to go.

disneymom2000
10-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry you will miss Splash. That's how I felt when I went three times in a row my fav ride was down for refurb. Once I thought I catch the soft opening on the last trip it was down but I missed it by hours. Man was I bummed. Another reason to plan the next trip.

A Big Kid
10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I usually book in early January to run the marathon. It has been down everytime. I still dont understand why they create a large event to draw people, and then close one of the most popular attractions....and they always wait until late in the year to announce it.

Strmchsr
10-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Let's hope that WDW actually opens Splash for the time we're there.

They pretty much always do. I don't think you'll have any worries. I'll see ya down there then. :mickey:

Tinkerfreak
10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Bummer we will arrive on the 28th and be leaving on the 31st. We will just miss it.
Oh well it's not like there won't be anything else to do right? We will enjoy plenty of other stuff.:thumbsup:
I am just happy to get this short unexpexted trip.

cmshelton1979
10-08-2010, 10:32 AM
It probably takes a month so they can scrape all the gum off the walls!!! That makes me so mad to see that ride covered with gum:thedolls:

WDWCrazyKaren
10-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Well, I guess that we will miss it again this year. January really is my favorite time to go. I guess it's the price we pay for going during the "off" season.

NokOnHarts
10-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Sad. :( I figured this would be the case but was in denial. Ha. Are there any other major attractions that regularly close during January? Also, how far out do they usually announce refurbishment schedules?

Thanks

DisneyDoug2
10-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Where is this closing infromation coming from, I was just on a few other Disney sites and Disney.com and did not see Splash Mountain listed on the Jan Rehab list! Typically it is down in Jan, but not always.

seanyred
10-08-2010, 02:03 PM
OK, so I'm letting the Disney Execs off the hook ;) Just got Southwest to move my flights at no extra fee WaaHoo! Just got Small World Travel to move my dates and add an extra day to the trip. Plus I get to stay at Coronado with free food instead of CBR. I'm even happier than before I heard the bad Splash Mountain news. Let's hope that WDW actually opens Splash for the time we're there.

It should open as scheduled. Last time I was there and it was scheduled to re-open the last day of my trip and it opened as scheduled. There is no good time to close it down but it is such a huge ride that I can understand why it is refurbed for so long.

Glad you were able to change your trip. :mickey::mickey::mickey:

BigThunderFan
10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Good for you Gator! Now if they will just move the marathon to February... :thedolls:

I don't so much mind missing Splash, I just feel bad for my daughter who on three trips has not been able to ride it. She was just under 40" our first trip, and the last two it has been closed.

I can't imagine the upkeep on this ride. All of the electrical, animatronics, hydraulic, etc... plus the fact that hundreds of thousands of gallons of water run through it daily, I'm sure that does wonders on the insides...

Mogie
10-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I think its much needed. I was ther last month. The ride was closed 1 day and broke down twice during our trip. Looks like it needs a deep cleansing from all the water works too. Lots of grit and algae. But what a great ride :)

Gator
10-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Good for you Gator! Now if they will just move the marathon to February... :thedolls:

I don't so much mind missing Splash, I just feel bad for my daughter who on three trips has not been able to ride it. She was just under 40" our first trip, and the last two it has been closed.

That's exactly why I moved my trip. It does make it a little difficult for my work. But my daughter was too short the first time, and it was closed last time. Thus the anger about them closing it yet again in January. I'm not about to go three trips where she can't ride it.
I guess some people don't understand until you have a kid who really want to ride it.

rubato
10-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Well, we're missing it again also. I too am going to be there for the marathon and half marathon, so it's not like I have the option to move my vacation. Oh well, who wants to get wet in January anyway, right? Yes, I know lots of people do, I'm just trying to be positive! :mickey:

BigThunderFan
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Sounds like Kali River Rapids is going to be closed for most of the month of January now too. Guess they really don't want us to come down with the sniffles do they? :mickey:

LVT
10-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Maybe they do most of the wet rides when it is coldest and thus have the least ridership of the year. Both waterparks will be down, (one at a time) as usual.

A Big Kid
10-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Maybe they do most of the wet rides when it is coldest and thus have the least ridership of the year. Both waterparks will be down, (one at a time) as usual.

Maybe. But it still does not make sense to do it during one of the biggest events of the year. A week later - would that hurt?