PDA

View Full Version : Infant ear protection for rides / fireworks

lawgirl
10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
My son will be 6 months on our trip to WDW. He is easily scared by loud noises, and I'm wondering what any of you parents out there have used as ear protection? Im thinking he won't mind the rides, but some of them are so loud, and the fireworks may be overwhelming too.

Do you think baby ear muffs or a fleece hat with ear covers will suffice?

Buttercup
10-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I worried about that with my daughter at 4 months old. (My son, at that age, couldn't care less about the loud noises!) I looked online and you can actually find infant hearing protection - like the headphones you see construction workers wearing, but in baby size! But they were super expensive!
So instead, I always had a little ziploc baggie of cotton balls in my purse that I could ball up some and put it in her ear. She ended up not minding afterall -- on rides where something loud was gonna happen (and since I've been to WDW a million times I know where these spots are - like say, the gangsters shooting in the Great Movie Ride) I just put my hands over her ears and she was fine.
:mickey:

diz_girl
10-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I got my son hearing protection earmuffs before his first trip to WDW when he was 17 months old. They work very well, just get your child used to wearing them before your trip, so they'll actually keep them on when you actually need them.

I went to the Earplug store (Earplugstore.com) and got the Peltor/AO Safety Junior ear muffs. The one size can actually fit infants through small adults. They're not all that expensive, just $19, with another $6 for shipping. They really are worth the money, as they will probably last throughout his childhood. DS (now 3) also uses them to help his daddy around the yard when DH is using the leafblower, in addition to fireworks viewing and other noisy activities. If you want to see what they look like on an infant, just Google 'Drew Brees son headphones'. When I saw him after the Superbowl win in February, the first thing that I noticed was the earmuffs.