PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on keeping kids/toddlers safe

NokOnHarts
10-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Last time we visited our child wasn't walking so it was quite easy to know where she was at all times. When we travel to Disney this winter, she'll be almost 3, which will be quite a different story. What are your ideas and what things have you tried that were successful in giving your toddler some freedom but making sure they weren't able to run off at any moment. Not a huge fan of "the leash" (ha) but any ideas are welcome!

Thank you.

Strmchsr
10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
At 3 your child will still need a stroller so that will help a good bit. You just get her out for short times which is much easier to keep tabs on.

Other than that, hawk-like vigilance is your only option. Kids can be gone in a second, especially in crowds at WDW.

The "leash" (or "wrist thing" as my sons called it) has good and bad points. The good is that it allows you to keep tabs on your kid without having to literally watch them every single second (your only option without some sort of tether). It really is a wonderful device and we used it on both boys when they were younger. We didn't use it anywhere else, but at WDW we felt safety was most important and they didn't mind. They actually enjoyed being able to walk without holding our hands. The bad point is that some parents have used the "leash" to not watch their kids at all which results in their kids getting tangled up with other people. I've even seen adults trip over the leash when a child ran in front of them while the parent wasn't watching. I think the new version attached to backpacks or harnesses instead of just around the wrist are better.

Bottom line, for an almost 3 year old there is no "safe" way other than constantly watching her or keeping her in the stroller. What you can do is let her run a little bit in enclosed areas, like the Imagination Works or a playground at the resort.

IloveJack
10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I have never used the "leash," but last month, I saw Disney backpack leashes for sale. They had Mickey, Minnie, Tigger, Pooh, etc. They're the kind that look like little backpacks, but have 6ish foot long "tails." I'm a stay-in-the-stroller fan (but then again, my only DD is just now 2, so it hasn't been an issue so far), but these were cute, if you're not.

(But truthfully, in this day and time, I'd rather people say I had my kid on a leash, than for someone to grab her and be gone).

Buttercup
10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
We went online and found these cool velcro bracelets that can be reused trip after trip. Do a google search for ID INSIDE and you'll see what I mean. You can write your hotel name, cell number or any other emergency information on this waterproof card that slips inside the bracelet. So the kid's information isn't visible to the general public but if there was an emergency, someone in charge could find all the pertinent info.
Then, we also taught our kids (and routinely quizzed them on the way down to Florida) that in an emergency, they need to stay in the same area, don't wander around, and look for someone with a WHITE disney nametag. (A while ago, Disney sold different coloured nametags that look similar to the official employee ones) If they can't find someone with a white nametag (and while we're at the parks we show them some examples of people wearing them), they are to look for another mommy with little kids to help.

It's all about preparation without scaring them. Make them feel empowered, and you will too!

CzepielCrew
10-06-2010, 12:30 PM
My boys were 6 when we went, but I had ID tags made that they wore everyday around their neck. We also taught them that if we were every separated, to go directly to one of the disney employees. Besides all that, you really do have to keep an eagle eye on them.

Zippy 1
10-06-2010, 02:27 PM
The backpack leash is a great thing. It gives your child a sense of freedom without you worrying about loosing them. In large groups with a young child you just have to be very careful about how you watch them. I also agree with the above poster on preparing them in case they loose you. They need to know who to look for to get help. It is very hard these days to have a young child and give them much freedom in public places. You just never know who is around. I hope you have a safe and great trip:mickey:

bostonsam
10-06-2010, 02:33 PM
When my oldest son(8)was 3 we didn't bring a stroller.I thought we should have but he was just fine walking around and staying close with us,don't see anything wrong with the use of a child leash esp the disney one's,we stopped at times to rest & grab a snack:bar:...on the bus he sure would sleep though lol hoping my youngest(3)will be the same way!?

BrerGnat
10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Just stroller it and only let her out in lines, in play areas, and when it's time to eat. She'll be fine. If you can't "manage" her by holding hands (i.e. if she likes to run off to spite you, like my son does), then it's stroller. At that age, the stroller is either a punishment or a reward, depending on the moment. If she wants to walk, the rule needs to be "hold hands with mom or dad." The first time she breaks away from you, back in the stroller. If she wants to walk, she'll behave.

Belster
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Just stroller it and only let her out in lines, in play areas, and when it's time to eat. She'll be fine. If you can't "manage" her by holding hands (i.e. if she likes to run off to spite you, like my son does), then it's stroller. At that age, the stroller is either a punishment or a reward, depending on the moment. If she wants to walk, the rule needs to be "hold hands with mom or dad." The first time she breaks away from you, back in the stroller. If she wants to walk, she'll behave.

Ditto!! We are stroller fans. The fact of the matter is, WDW is very busy and a small child really should not be navigating through those crowds. This is one reason why I am sad about Pooh's Thoughtful Spot being removed...this allowrd my little ones some free time to roam.

ANG
10-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Each morning, take a picture of your child, especially what they are wearing. That way, god forbid, they do get lost, you have a super recent picture to show security.

lovinmesomedisney
10-07-2010, 09:27 AM
The best thing to do is to teach them from very young, not to run off. I have taught my kids all about "The bad man" and how important it is for them to stay with the adult they are with from day one. I have never had to worry about them running off. They were always right with me. They are now older, so this is not an issue. Also, just holding their hand if it is crowded. The stroller is probably best in situations where it would be too difficult for a child to walk.

joonyer
10-07-2010, 11:13 AM
There are many attractive distractions for young ones at MK, and other parks, so we made sure our sons (9 & 6 on our first trip with them) knew how to find a CM if they got lost.

WE also dressed them in distinctive (uncommon) colored shirts, so we could find them at a glance before they got too far from us. That made them easy to spot quickly in a big crowd. when they were little I worried much more about losing them in a shopping center or at Wal-Mart than I did at WDW. It's a much safer place than most public places.

NokOnHarts
10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you all for your input! Some great ideas to consider so appreciate it.

brivers222
10-07-2010, 11:59 AM
*in dr. evils voice* you can put a bell on her!

Stollers do sound like the best course of action coupled with a keen eye really

Disney Doll
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
We just returned from a trip with my son who was 1 month shy of 3 yrs old and it really wasn't an issue. He doesn't run off and prefers to stay by our side.

One things we did just as a precaution was to make an engraved tag at Pet's Mart that said, "daddy's phone number 000-000-0000." We lace it in his shoe so he always has some type of contact info on him.

PinKy
10-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I think everyone (of course) has what works for their family, here is what we do:

We have 2 toddlers 2 years and 3 years old (and a baby on the way!). We go to Disney every year. We bring a stroller that can accommodate two and we also bring the little harness backpacks (we have the other little wrist attachments too - but my boys prefer to wear the backpacks - plus they double as a pillow in the stroller). Mostly I would say they are in the stroller - but when they need to get out and stretch or move around we always put the backpacks on - or we try to head to a kids area like Pooh Corner - so sad they're taking that out - hopefully they will put something similar in! There is sometimes a playground set up in Epcot (in the spring - when the flower show is going on), does anyone know if it is there year round? Its a great way for them to get the "wiggles" out!