PDA

View Full Version : swimming weather early Dec.??

bostonsam
10-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Just wanted to ask if the weather is swimmable?I can count the rides/attractions my sons(8,3)will like from Epcot & HS on 1 hand so I wanted to make a day at the pool,I know the pools are heated for night(s)but maybe an afternoon!?

buzznwoodysmom
10-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Its so hard to tell with Florida weather. We've been in late Nov. (a few times) where we had days we wore coats to the parks and days we swam in nice warm weather, and this is all on the same trip. Same goes for our trips in Feb., my kids have swam and its been down right cold. On our two trips in Dec. it was too cold, and one year too rainy to swim. But that doesn't mean you'll not have at least a day or two of weather warm enough for swimming. So I guess there really is not definite answer to your question.

faline
10-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Weather in December can be quite variable and there are times when it has been too cold for swimming. There are other times when I've happily spent the entire December day at the pool. By the way, there are times in December when we've been able to comfortably wear shorts late into the night. There are other times when winter coats would have been required.

I also wouldn't rule Epcot out as a destination for your kids. Many kids have greatly enjoyed time at Epcot. You can easily spend an entire day in Future World without even entering World Showcase.

iheartdisney
10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Besides how cooperative the weather is, I think it depends on where you're from. We live in Georgia and I can say we have never taken advantage of the pool in early December. It's always been too cold for us. :freeze: But that doesn't mean there weren't plenty of other people in the pool.

faline
10-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Besides how cooperative the weather is, I think it depends on where you're from. We live in Georgia and I can say we have never taken advantage of the pool in early December. It's always been too cold for us. :freeze: But that doesn't mean there weren't plenty of other people in the pool.

Looks like the original poster and I are both from New England so we're used to pretty chilly temperatures. Still, it needs to be in the mid to upper 70's before I'd head to the pool!

Katzateer
10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Some years it is, sometimes not.

Most December trips the girls have gotten in the pool and gone to water parks. Most Florida residents won't get in but for us it was warm. A few years we have been bundled in our jackets and really cold for the fireworks at night!

bostonsam
10-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Looks like the original poster and I are both from New England so we're used to pretty chilly temperatures. Still, it needs to be in the mid to upper 70's before I'd head to the pool!

hello fellow NE'er;) we were planning on purchasing little terry robes for them but,if I may,is there a difference between 70 degrees there than in Ma.?hopefully it will be in the 80's that week(wishful thinking?):unsure:
It's just not a vacation if you can't be by a pool:drama:;)

faline
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
hello fellow NE'er;) we were planning on purchasing little terry robes for them but,if I may,is there a difference between 70 degrees there than in Ma.?hopefully it will be in the 80's that week(wishful thinking?):unsure:
It's just not a vacation if you can't be by a pool:drama:;)

Hi!

We've found it to be enjoyably warm if it's in the upper 70's to go along with the heated pool I spend more time lounging pool side than I do in the pool so the temps need to be comfortable for me to do that. I'm comfortable at home in the upper 70's and it feels about the same to me in Florida unless it's humid and then, of course, if feels warmer than the stated temperature. If I need to throw a robe on when I get out of the water, I'm not going into it in the first place though we have seen many other families use the pool even when we find it too chilly to do so!

princessgirls
10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I TRULY enjoyed my December trip. We were in Disney from December 4-9. We had one cool day, and then we had warm sunshine, needed nothing more than a light jacket if any in the evening and my girls did swim at night.

HOWEVER, I do believe that Florida in general had a cold winter, and my week may have been one of the few that was warm and mild.
It's kind of the luck of the draw...so to speak!
Julie:mickey:

mudpuppysmom
10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
We too are from an area where there is usually snow on the ground when we go -- that said, we have been in the pool on each and every trip we have been on in the winter (we've been VERY lucky and had several days where we could).

I agree that it depends on where you are from and your definintion of what cold really is......to us, 50 in December is WARM! My relatives are from Florida and they will meet us in the parks dressed like they are ready for the arctic and we show up in shorts and t's with sandals......they laugh at us, but they don't realize that when we left home it was below freezing!

I'd pack swim suits and watch what the weather will be while you are there......it's always fun to call someone back home and ask how they are doing while you are poolside!:thedolls:

brownie
10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
We were there the end of November/first week of December in 2003. We made it to the pool one day. It was getting to about 70 degrees while we were there, so it's a good thing the pools are heated. It can be done, and the kids may not care as much about the air temperature as you do.