PDA

View Full Version : San Angel Ambiance

lovinmesomedisney
10-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I love the atmosphere at San Angel. The food is not fabulous, but it's something different to eat while at Disney, since there are a lot of buffets and things that are similar. The chips and salsa always hit the spot for us. My only problem is the darkness. It was so funny, because I ordered some kind of steak something. When the waiter brought it, there was my steak, and next to it, what I thought was a piece of the steak that had come off. Well, I stabbed it with my fork and took a nice bite. AAAAHHHHHHH It was not steak! It was plaintain. Mushy, blah, plantain. When I finally got to the real steak, it was delicious. It certainly amused my group with me, so I guess they all had a great time, at my expense.

Ms. Mode
10-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I didn't mind the lighting so much as how close the tables are. It's one thing to be in Germany and know you are going to share a table...when you go to San Angel you are sitting in each others laps. :blush:

brivers222
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
The close sitting happened at a top rated Mexican place around my town last week... the place was empty, yet the packed everyone into a small little section. We were a party 2 and got seated pretty much with a party of 8 loud drunks... and actually because of that we don't plan on going back to it....

as for san angel We will go in and check out the ambiance but just go on the ride instead... mainly because IASM is closed (yet again) for our trip

Drachengeist
10-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Actually the Ambience (capitol A intentional) is the thing! Once you go through the inner archway and down the ramps, it doesnt matter what the time or the weather is outside. The lighting, the water, the sounds, and the tempurature. These carry more than even the diorama to set the mood. I might agree with slightly brighter "candles" on the tables but hopefully they will not muck with the ambient lighting.
Once upon a time the ceiling ventilation system even closely imitated a summer breeze. Now a days though age/maintenance/cost factors it doesnt carry it off as before.

Unless the folks next to you are obnoxiously loud I have never really had an issue with the seating. I would rather have some extra tables in that space than be told the ADRs ran out 6 months before my trip.

Then again... give me back the old River of Time!!!

#1donaldfan
10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
That's all that place has is over the top "atmosphere" !!!! The food is not good at all, and that's trying to be nice on my part. I do love it in there but to eat dinner, never again !!!! :thumbsup:

KAT1811
10-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I enjoy it. All of it. The food isn't the best but then again there aren't too many restaurants in WDW that have great food. The seating and the loudness reminds me of Mexico where everything seems loud and it makes it all the more fun. After a margarita :marg: or two does it really matter? ;) One year I met up with some friends (who happened to be vacationing at the same time) for a big kid night out, thanks to my mom who babysat on our girls trip, and we had a great time. Truly felt like we took a quick getaway to Mexico.

lovinmesomedisney
10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
We definitely enjoyed it. The music, the ambiance, everything. I just thought it was funny at how dark it actually was. I agree with you KAT, I don't think any food in WDW is all that great. At least San Angel is something a little different.

darthmacho
10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
After eating there twice, first in 1998, and then in 2003, I agree it has the best ambience of any restaurant in WDW. I decided that from now on, I'd request a seat by the river, no matter how long the wait. It's worth it.

In my opinion, the food is very good. I'm partial to the mole poblano. I simply have to have flan for dessert. Dos Equis is a great beer, and not just for the commercials! :beer:

My only complaint is the wait staff. You could tell they weren't trained by Disney. They were very rushed and curt. They weren't rude or anything, just not especially friendly.

ElenitaB
10-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I like the ambience at SAI and I actually happen to like the food there, but I don't go expecting Tex-Mex. I suspect that it will be quite easy to get ADRs there in the next few months as the masses will be checking out La Hacienda.

Gator
10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
If you really like the ambience there, then you need to head to Disneyland and eat at the Blue Bayou. It's a restaurant inside of the Pirates of the Caribbean. The food is really good, especially compared to San Angel, and the ambience is just incredible.

TheVBs
10-05-2010, 08:34 AM
We love the ambiance there too, but I can totally relate to the OPs comments about not being able to see your food well. We haven't eaten there in years because we've been trying new restaurants, but I remember really liking the food and the wait staff being great. Although, funny story, we were there on our anniversary with my mom once. My mom mentioned to the waitress that it was our anniversary. After our dinner she came out with a small cake, a card, and a few other CMs. The funny part was that they sang "Happy Birthday" to DH. She obviously misunderstood. After they finished singing, she scooped up a fork full of cake to feed DH, but when he opened his mouth she put frosting on his nose instead and they snapped a polaroid of it and put it in the card. That's one of my favorite memories! :mickey:

lovinmesomedisney
10-05-2010, 08:38 AM
If you really like the ambience there, then you need to head to Disneyland and eat at the Blue Bayou. It's a restaurant inside of the Pirates of the Caribbean. The food is really good, especially compared to San Angel, and the ambience is just incredible.

That sounds really nice. I have been thinking I really should hit Disneyland. I have been to the world so many times, and every time I go on Soarin, I tell myself I'm going to get out to Disneyland. That definitely sounds like a Must Do at Disneyland.

lovinmesomedisney
10-05-2010, 08:40 AM
We love the ambiance there too, but I can totally relate to the OPs comments about not being able to see your food well. We haven't eaten there in years because we've been trying new restaurants, but I remember really liking the food and the wait staff being great. Although, funny story, we were there on our anniversary with my mom once. My mom mentioned to the waitress that it was our anniversary. After our dinner she came out with a small cake, a card, and a few other CMs. The funny part was that they sang "Happy Birthday" to DH. She obviously misunderstood. After they finished singing, she scooped up a fork full of cake to feed DH, but when he opened his mouth she put frosting on his nose instead and they snapped a polaroid of it and put it in the card. That's one of my favorite memories! :mickey:

That sounds like a great time. I know someone else posted that the service wasn't good, but we had an experience like yours. We had a very friendly server, who went over every dish on the menu, made suggestions, and was very friendly with all of us, including the kids. He even offered to bring extra plain rice for some of the kids and let us try some desserts before ordering. We really did have a great time there.

TheVBs
10-05-2010, 09:05 AM
That sounds like a great time. I know someone else posted that the service wasn't good, but we had an experience like yours. We had a very friendly server, who went over every dish on the menu, made suggestions, and was very friendly with all of us, including the kids. He even offered to bring extra plain rice for some of the kids and let us try some desserts before ordering. We really did have a great time there.

So glad to hear that! I would love to go back there soon. So many restaurants, so little time! :mickey:

I meant to say, I can only imagine what a shock it must have been to think you were biting into steak and getting a plantain instead. Even if you like plantain, it would still be a shock!

LudwigVonDrake
10-10-2010, 11:27 AM
San Angel is one of my favorite restaurants :tasty:

SandmanGStefani24
10-10-2010, 12:18 PM
That's all that place has is over the top "atmosphere" !!!! The food is not good at all, and that's trying to be nice on my part. I do love it in there but to eat dinner, never again !!!! :thumbsup:

I agree, I love it in there! The atmosphere is great inside the entire pavillion, I just don't care for the menu. If there was a different selection I would consider it, but not any time soon.