PDA

View Full Version : Always Use the Hotel Safe, Not the Room Safe

TheRustyScupper
10-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Orlando Sentinel, 10/04/2010

Milsa and Juan Palacios had been saving for a trip to Orlando, where they planned to take their 10- and 13-year-old daughters to Islands of Adventure and relax for a couple of days.

The Naples couple's plans were shattered, however, when their motel room was burglarized shortly after they checked in and went to dinner. Everything of value — including electronics, cash, a designer purse and sunglasses, theme-park tickets, a passport, checks and Social Security cards — was gone when they returned.

"We thought it was going to be a vacation," Milsa Palacios, 37, said. "It turned into a nightmare."

The Palacios filed a police report and demanded reimbursement from the motel for the $5,200 loss, but it was denied. A Florida law protects operators of public lodgings from most liability. Even when a hotel is negligent, a guest cannot recover more than $500 in most cases and $1,000 for jewelry or cash left with the hotel for safekeeping.

"It's obviously a statute that is meant to protect the hotel industry," Orlando lawyer Mark NeJame said. "The clear intent was to limit the rights of the guest and protect the owner."

So, what's a tourist to do?

Your simplest line of defense: Leave your valuables at home. Beyond that, don't flash money, electronics or anything else a thief might covet, said Orange County sheriff's Cpl. Marcus Camacho, who combats crime against tourists. Make sure you lock your hotel room and car doors.

"Tourists are more likely to take risks on vacation," Camacho said. "They're a little more relaxed and take fewer safety precautions."

If you must bring jewelry, large sums of cash or a passport, store them in a hotel safe, Camacho advises. Avoid leaving anything in plain view.

In Orlando, where tourism is the engine that drives the economy, hoteliers are well aware of the need to protect their guests as much as possible, said Rich Maladecki, president of the Central Florida Hotel & Lodging Association.

Most hotels have full-time security staff and work with law enforcement to root out problems, he said. Look for hotels with good lighting in hallways, at entrances and in parking lots, experts caution.

"We understand the importance of the repeat visitor," Maladecki said. "We're very conscious of the social-media networking. Who needs [to read online] 'Don't come to Orlando?'"

Visitors can further help keep themselves safe by avoiding excessive drinking, staying away from isolated areas, particularly at night, and generally avoiding looking like a stereotypical tourist: backpack or fanny pack, sunscreen across the nose, camera, map. They also should leave anything they don't need immediately and don't want to lose — or have stolen — at their hotel or lock it in the trunk when nobody is looking.

"You have to be aware of your surroundings," Camacho said.

If the worst does happen, notify the hotel, law enforcement and your insurance company. Many homeowners' and renters' policies cover the theft of possessions away from home, said Gary Landry, vice president of the Florida Insurance Council, an industry group.

Check your coverage before you go, and buy a rider to protect jewelry and other expensive items, Landry counsels.

"Everything, of course, is subject to questions of fraud because fraud is a big issue in Florida," he said.

Palacios said she has submitted her claim to her insurance company, but she has a $1,000 deductible. She is enraged and saddened that her family ended up driving home the day after the theft instead of going to the theme park. Now they are out a lot of money, too.

"I've learned not to stay at hotels with exterior access," Palacios said. "To never leave my stuff — anything — in the room. Don't carry personal information with me.

"It was a really costly lesson."

MagicalGuest
10-04-2010, 08:21 AM
This brings up some great points — and a question. Does anyone know what the crime rate is on Disney property? We always use the room safe to store our travel documents. Maybe that's not such a wise idea.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-04-2010, 09:22 AM
We use our in room safe too. We don't bring "valuables" with us. Our camera and phones are with us at all times in my purse, so the only thing I may leave in the room safe is extra cash that we don't to bring with us.

Do folks think the room safes are "safe"?

vicster
10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
We've never had a problem with the room safe but who knows what can happen. We don't take valuables with us so we really don't put much in the safe.

diz_girl
10-04-2010, 09:56 AM
It doesn't state that they used the room safe.

It looks like they stayed at an off-property motel somewhere in Orlando (not a hotel with interior corridors) and they didn't even appear to be headed to WDW. From the article, it seems like they checked in, dropped all of their valuables in the room (on the bed and table) and then left. The thief probably watched them the whole time (since they were at a motel with exterior corridors), saw what they brought into the room and what they took with them when they left and saw that they were a lucrative target.

Even when on the road to/from WDW (or anywhere else), I make sure that I stay at a hotel with interior corridors (Hampton Inn, Wingate Inn, Courtyard, etc.) So a thief may see me bring my belongings into the hotel, but they don't know my room number. And I would never leave my purse in a hotel room, like these unfortunate people. As far as valuables, if I bring them, I take them (purse, camera, cell phone) with me everywhere I go. As for jewelry, I never bring extra jewlery with me on vacation, just my wedding ring, watch & earrings, and a ring for my right hand. Those I wear all of the time, except to shower and sleep. If I do bring my laptop, it is seven years old, with nothing valuable on it (except pictures that I need to back up.) Note to self - back-up pictures from laptop.

Ms. Mode
10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
We use the room safe for extra cash and little stuff. Why would anyone leave that much cash and valuable in a room not locked up? :confused:

magicofdisney
10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't consider myself too trusting by any means, but what is wrong with the hotel safes that are in the walls? Unless of course it wasn't locked...

And why, oh why would you take your SSC on vacation?

Disney Doll
10-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Sadly, I think these victims learned a hard lesson about what not to do. You don't need to bring a wad of cash and your SSC on vacation. I keep my credit card, ID, camera, and phone with me. The only jewelery I bring is the jewelery I always wear. We have never once needed the in room safe. Whatever you are locking up in there probably should have been left at home IMHO.

BrerGnat
10-04-2010, 12:46 PM
A lot of this seems like negligence on the part of the guests.

I fully trust the in room safes.

What I do not trust is the room door LOCKS. Especially since so many employees have keys to open the room doors. So, whenever I have anything of value (cash, jewelry, ipod, etc.) I leave it in the room SAFE. Or, I just do a really good job of hiding it in the room (and I'm not telling my secret). :secret:

And, why do you need a passport and ss card in Orlando??? (unless these were international visitors)

DisneyPrincess21
10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't consider myself too trusting by any means, but what is wrong with the hotel safes that are in the walls? Unless of course it wasn't locked...

And why, oh why would you take your SSC on vacation?

Sadly, I think these victims learned a hard lesson about what not to do. You don't need to bring a wad of cash and your SSC on vacation. I keep my credit card, ID, camera, and phone with me. The only jewelery I bring is the jewelery I always wear. We have never once needed the in room safe. Whatever you are locking up in there probably should have been left at home IMHO.

I also noticed how weird it was, who takes the social security card with them? :confused:

brownie
10-04-2010, 11:39 PM
These people learned a tough lesson. Only bring what you absolutely need.

TheRustyScupper
10-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I also noticed how weird it was, who takes the social security card with them? :confused:

1) You would be surprised how many carry a SS card in their wallet.
2) Dumb.
3) But they do.

disneymom2000
10-06-2010, 11:17 PM
What a sad story but a great lesson about the Florida law. Makes us all a bit more aware. I am a very cautious vacationer having read many stories such as this - but I have to admit when I am at Disney, I just feel so much more secure and tend to let my guard down.

wmdaddy
10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Nowhere in that article does it say they used the room safe.

GusNJacque
10-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I've never had any trouble with the in room safe either. I lock my iPod in there during the day and maybe an extra watch. That's about it. And like Brer I have been known to hide a thing or two in my room. It's always been secure.

Like many others have commented I think alot of this particular situation is on the folks it happened to as they did seem rather careless. You can relax when you are on vacation but don't be a fool.