PDA

View Full Version : Staying Well While in the World

MPoppins
10-04-2010, 07:14 AM
It seems like someone in my family always catches a bug while at WDW. How do you stay well while breathing the lovely recirculated air while flying and then not pick up a bug while in the parks?:ill: Thanks!

Joannelet
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I start taking Airborne 2 days before the flight. Once I am in the parks I literally wash or sanitize my hands and my families hands after every ride. I also have lysol that I bring with me in my suitcase and a roll of paper towels and wipe down door knobs/handles etc. in the hotel room. Anything that many people touch. I have not had an issue once I started to do this. Everyone has been healthy in my family once I started this. It is a big help and well worth the little extra time. :)

WDWCrazyKaren
10-04-2010, 09:38 AM
We always seem to have at least one person in the group get sick a day before we leave! We should start sanitizing a week before we leave and throw caution to the wind while we are there! Since a majority of "bugs" have a lengthy incubation period, we would most likely be sick AFTER we got home!

We can't seem to get it together!

Joannelet
10-04-2010, 09:42 AM
You can also have your family take in more vit c before vacation.

Mousemates
10-04-2010, 09:46 AM
a quick wipe to sanitize the remote, phone, knobs, etc upon entry in the room ...then wash your hands with frequency throughout the day...if you drink enough water to stay well hydrated (also a good health tip) you will have reason to visit the bathrooms anyway...two very simple steps, but quite effective for "bug" control.

Belle619
10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
:ditto: on the sanitizer! I am slightly obsessed with the small ($1) hand sanitizers and holders (also $1) from Bath and Body Works which can be attached to your purse, stroller, etc. I squeeze a little drop after any ride where I've touched a handle bar or railing. Anti-bacterial hand wipes are great for wiping down tables before you place your food on there.

Lastly, I would say rest is also important. It is easy to over-schedule yourself at Disney, but if your body is deprived of sleep, you'll weaken your immune system - so we schedule in nap time.

Disney4us2
10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
We are going in December. I plan on getting us flu shots, and all the above suggestions.

LauraF
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
We drink plenty of water (more than normal) and take coldeeze at the first sign of a sniffle. Also, activity and eating healthy will help your immune system fight back before you get taken out.

faline
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Frequent hand washing and use of sanitizers.
Obtaining a flu shot every year.
Avoiding touching unnecessary surfaces (Don't run your hands along the rails as you are waiting in line; keep hands off escalator handrails etc. Of course, if you need this support for balance etc., use it, and use hand sanitizer frequently.)

LittleD
10-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I used to have problems with sinuses after a flight. The last few years, I use a sinus rinse (neti pot) after flying. I have not had any problems since.

sommer
10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
We stay healthy by taking Vit D3, and a good probiotic. We'll be eating lots of organic veggies and fruits before we go too.

bostonsam
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah...in 08 my son,then 6yo,caught a tummy buggy:ill::( and it wasn't for a couple days in(5 day trip)that it started...we had to keep making restroom stops:blush:
praying/hoping he's fine this time!?

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
We take sanitizer, and use it after rides and before eating. We didn't used to do this, but then we thought about just how many people have touching everying you touch at Disney.

We also try to eat as healthy as we can (even though all of the "bad" stuff is so yummy).

I also love the making sure you get enough sleep (and getting your flu shot!)

Gator
10-05-2010, 05:37 PM
This is gonna sound a little crazy, but I'm telling you it will help. Put neosporin/triple antibiotic cream on a qtip and then put it on the inside of your nose before getting on the plane. It always works for our family.

BrerGnat
10-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Pray. :D

My last two trips to the world have been riddled with sickness. Two trips ago, it was me, room bound for three days with a :ack: virus.

Last trip, it was my husband. Same story. Kids got sick the minute our plane landed at HOME...I escaped that one, somehow.

You can take lots of precautions. Washing your hands is the best option. I'd recommend (highly) packing some meds with you. Pack a bit of every kind of medicine you have for: colds, cough, fever/headache, stomach upset. Pack a thermometer. The last thing you need is to be having to buy that stuff in the hotel gift shop at midnight...

bostonsam
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Pray. :D

My last two trips to the world have been riddled with sickness. Two trips ago, it was me, room bound for three days with a :ack: virus.

Last trip, it was my husband. Same story. Kids got sick the minute our plane landed at HOME...I escaped that one, somehow.

You can take lots of precautions. Washing your hands is the best option. I'd recommend (highly) packing some meds with you. Pack a bit of every kind of medicine you have for: colds, cough, fever/headache, stomach upset. Pack a thermometer. The last thing you need is to be having to buy that stuff in the hotel gift shop at midnight...

I forgot that the gift shop is not 24hr.,so def will bring something and little hand sanitizers...but is that stuff ok to bring?unopened?

BrerGnat
10-06-2010, 12:37 AM
I forgot that the gift shop is not 24hr.,so def will bring something and little hand sanitizers...but is that stuff ok to bring?unopened?

Absolutely okay to bring OTC meds. I do it whenever we travel. I try to stick with tablets, gelcaps, and chewables or dissolvable meds for the kids. That way it can go in my carryon.

dnickels
10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Obviously I'm in the minority, but I do.... nothing. When I go over to the parks (about weekly) I don't bring any sanitizer or clorox wipes. I drink out of the water fountains. When I fly to see my family twice a year at the holidays I don't do anything special.

And I haven't been sick in years.

I think your best defense is taking care of yourself before you ever arrive at Disney or travel. Eat well, exercise often, and get a full nights sleep.

MNNHFLTX
10-06-2010, 01:23 PM
The basics--eat healthy, get plenty of sleep and regularly wash your hands.

That said, I've gotten sick a few times at WDW in the past and I attribute most of that to lack of sleep. I believe nothing runs your immune system down more than trying to get by on just a few hours of sleep a night and I'm more mindful now of getting more rest.

Stu29573
10-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Simple. I work in an elementary school. I DARE any bug to even think about attacking!

thumperbug
10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
My tip is to get some rest before you leave for your trip. It's very easy to get run down before your trip with running around, packing, getting everything ready. You will wear yourself out and the first germ to come your way will find a new home.

I was notorious for getting sick either right before or during my trips to WDW. Now, I make sure I am as rested as possible before my trip. Just getting to the airport, the flight etc to get to your resort can be exhausting. You don't want to start behind the 8 ball.

Last trip last month...got sick the day after I got home.

MPoppins
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
These are solid tips. I've always carried around hand sanitizer, but maybe haven't used it as thoroughly as necessary. I often plan to clean areas in our room when we arrive, but I'm usually so overcome with joy upon hitting the door that I just throw caution to the wind! I am guilty of bringing major stress upon myself before leaving, so perhaps some calm time before gearing up will help bolster my immune system. Now Neosporin in my nose...hmmm...:) Why not? It's worth a shot!:thumbsup: You guys are great! Here's to staying well on our trips! :marg:

Belster
10-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I used to have problems with sinuses after a flight. The last few years, I use a sinus rinse (neti pot) after flying. I have not had any problems since.

Me too! I have actually been taking sinus meds with me my past two trips.

We just got our flu shots yesterday in prep. for our trip in two weeks. :cloud9:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-07-2010, 09:23 AM
We clorox wipe the hotel room when we first walk in.... DH does this as he's a freak about it... too many expose stories on the news about hotel germs. DH does his bed bugs and all other bug check and then we relax.

We have hand sanitizer dangling from the diaper bag and stroller. However, I do not use hand sanitizer since I am allergic to the ingredient that makes things "anti-bacterial". DD's and DH use it. funny thing is they get more sick that I do! :D

We drive down and take 2 days so, we have time to shake the stress of leaving off. However, I do tend to stay up all night long getting packed and everything ready. We have a plan this time around that we are actually sticking to and doing a little bit at a time.

8 more days!

We also load up on an organic meat, veggie and fruit diet about 2 weeks prior to help "detox" and get us in prime shape. We normally eat as organic as we can but, the last 2 weeks we put it into overdrive.

brivers222
10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
This isnt really a "health" issue but yet it is...

I know people were talking about BodyGlide for rubbing and blisters...

Does anyone know if that Band-Aid Active Friction Block Stick works the same way??