PDA

View Full Version : Hotel room foot wear

bouncer
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I was just reading another post that stated that she would not walk without shoes in her hotel room. :vacuum:At the Disney resorts-- would you at least walk in the room with socks on or is that no different than actually being barefoot?

HoosierDisneyFan
10-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I have not been concerned with this in the slightest. I would chalk this up to someone being overly concerned. Are you worried about such things when you are at other hotel rooms (non-Disney). I would suggest "on average" Disney hotel rooms are cleaner than most every other chain hotel. Of course if you ask you will get a lot of "horor" stories but remember that you would get those stories about any national hotel chain as well.

joonyer
10-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Think about it, Billions (literally) of people all over the world walk barefoot for most of their lives everywhere they go. Yes, if you have an open wound on the sole of your foot, it is possible to get an infection, but otherwise, walking barefoot is completely harmless. Unless you are in the habit of licking your dirty feet, walking anywhere barefoot won't hurt you in the least.

badkitty
10-03-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't worry about it. It doesn't seem any different to me than walking barefoot outside around the pools.

Seasonscraps
10-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I don't think wearing socks is the same as going barefoot. I almost always wear socks or slippers but that's because I don't like how carpet feels on my feet.

jmj18
10-04-2010, 06:43 AM
I ALWAYS wear socks when I am in a hotel....Disney or not. I wouldn't consider myself
"overly concerned" just my choice. I also wear them when I am home. I am more comfortable this way.

:mickey:

SBETigg
10-04-2010, 07:14 AM
I go barefoot in hotel rooms all the time, everywhere. I never even worry about it. Oddly enough, I'm usually wearing slippers at home- my feet get cold. But I never bother to pack my slippers and I'm usually pretty comfortable with bare feet in the room.

Mousemates
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
the honest truth is that there is nothing in your hotel room that has not been touched by a thousand other people...whatever you have touched with some part of your body has come into contact with the same body part of lots and lots of other people. (the doorknobs, kaucet handles, commode flush, remote has been touched by lots of people, the floor has been walked on by lots of people's feet, the table and all horizontal surfaces has been leaned upon by lots of elbows and even sat upon by lots of rear ends---and on and on I could go.

The good thing about it though is that the Designer of our bodies equipped us with a pretty efficient immune system so that such contact is a complete non-issue about 99.9999% of the time. (I.e. most folks visit disney and do not get sick or come home with some form of "foot crud"...infact,when it come to "foot issues from a disney hotel room" I've never heard of that at all.)

If you are a bit of "germaphobe" (I guessI am a borderline case :blush:)...then wipe the items that concern you (remote,phone, sink faucets)...but then forget about it...the stress that comes from fretting over such things is likely far more dangerous to you (and the enjoyment of your stay) than the actual germs themselves.

Kenny1113
10-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Haha that person was me. I guess I am overly concerned (well not really, because now it is so natural for me to just have sandals on). But on that note, I won't even put my barefeet on the floor at dressing rooms. :blush:

yes I do realize that others have touched every thing in the room as well. My poor kids, I get very "Kate" like in hotel rooms. Oh,and on airplanes. :blush:

diz_girl
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't do bare feet in hotel rooms or any other floor, except in my bedroom and bathroom. However, I do walk around in socks in hotel rooms.

On a side note, we were vacationing in Cape Cod last month and we were getting a meal from an outdoor counter-service place. Well, some people were walking around barefoot. I thought that was a little gross, and then I saw someone else (not barefoot) spit on the ground. Ewwwww. I guess that the barefoot people have no problems with walking around in spit. However, I know that I definitely wouldn't want to walk around barefoot in their homes :ack:.

So happy that I didn't marry a spitter. Blech. That's probably a #1 turn-off.

DisneyPrincess21
10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
My poor kids, I get very "Kate" like in hotel rooms. Oh,and on airplanes. :blush:

LOL I thought "This sounds like Kate Gosselin" lol. :D

faline
10-04-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't worry about it.

BigThunderFan
10-07-2010, 01:59 PM
So if you don't want your bare feet touching the floor, what do you do when you go to bed? Do you bring your own sleeping bag and lay it on top of the covers on the Disney bed?

Basically at some point you are going to have to touch something that a million other people have.

Disney4us2
10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I have gone barefoot in the hotel rooms, also have worn socks. The only foot problem I came home with were blisters and a heel spur, but that was not from walking barefoot in the room.

Kenny1113
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
So if you don't want your bare feet touching the floor, what do you do when you go to bed? Do you bring your own sleeping bag and lay it on top of the covers on the Disney bed?

Basically at some point you are going to have to touch something that a million other people have.

They wash the sheets (hopefully). But I do not touch the bed spread. :sick:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-07-2010, 04:08 PM
We have slippers and if no slippers then socks. But, that's how we are at home too.

bouncer
10-07-2010, 09:51 PM
then I'm not the only one who doesn't wear shoes 24/7 in the room! other posts were beginning to have me worried that I should be more careful. Thanks for making me feel "normal." hahaha

bostonsam
10-08-2010, 10:02 AM
We are almost always all barefoot just cause if its a (freaking)hot period then we use sandals so arriving back at resort...shoes OFF:yay:lol but this time will use socks n shoes...Never thought about the whole feet&germ:confused: thing but will make a note to bring a few extra pairs of socks

emfleck
10-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Think about it, Billions (literally) of people all over the world walk barefoot for most of their lives everywhere they go. Yes, if you have an open wound on the sole of your foot, it is possible to get an infection, but otherwise, walking barefoot is completely harmless. Unless you are in the habit of licking your dirty feet, walking anywhere barefoot won't hurt you in the least.

Oh my, that made me laugh. :funny:

TheVBs
10-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Oh my, that made me laugh. :funny:

:ditto: What a visual!

I don't think twice about walking around the hotel room barefoot. ;)

DisneyMom12
10-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Unless you are in the habit of licking your dirty feet, walking anywhere barefoot won't hurt you in the least.

:rotfl:

JerseyDad
10-09-2010, 10:23 AM
...barefoot....no problem. I'll be barefoot in the hotel room...and out of it (at the resort). I walk to the ice machine barefoot......and even...dare I say....swim barefoot. ;)

...truthfully....if you're concerned about germs, fungus, infections.....you're 10x's more likely to be exposed to said problems in the bathroom...shower....tub...etc....where wet environs help to keep those microscopic nasties thriving.

....anyone THAT concerned...could use a can of foot spray (Tinactin, Lotrimin, Footworks Anti-fungal...etc)...for piece of mind...and...after a day of walking...it feels great to spray some on too.

(as a completely personal side-note....I just do not get the complete obsession with people trying to be germ-free? There is proof that all the anti-bacterial hand wipes, lotions, etc....can make you more prone to an infection from germ contact because your body has never had the opportunity to fend off the germ attack on its own....similar to the consequences from the over-use of antibiotics)

wdwfan
10-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I take a pair of flip flops to wear inside hotel room. Light weight and take up very little room in suitcase.

LudwigVonDrake
10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I walk around the hotel room barefoot. Not concerned in the least :wave:

SandmanGStefani24
10-10-2010, 12:07 PM

:exactly:

Come on, it's WDW, not a dump motel. The only place I was concerned was at that run down days inn on irlo bronson. Now THAT place I could understand feeling dirty. The rooms are cleaned and everything washed. Thats better than the ride/attraction bars or railings that we all hold onto...Germs are everywhere but I have yet to become sick at or after WDW. I think your foot will be safe...:D

Daisy'sMom
10-10-2010, 12:18 PM
We always wear flip flops in the rooms. And we bring a small Clorox wipes. When we check in, I wipe down the tv remote, the door handles and knobs, the clock, the phone(even though we don't use it), the lights and the table and chairs.
I started doing that after walking into one of the restrooms and thought, these pigs are the same ones that might have stayed in my room. Yuck.:mickey:

whitney37354
10-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I'll wear socks without shoes in the motel room, but not go barefoot. I take my socks to the bathroom and put them on after my shower & before stepping off the bathmat. I don't go barefoot at home unless it's the middle of the night for a potty break. At hotels, I wear clean socks in the bed.

garymacd
10-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Germs are everywhere but I have yet to become sick at or after WDW.

Well...

We just got back from a very nice stay at POR. Everything was clean, we had a wonderful time.

Until after eating at Pizza Planet. My beloved wife got sick within half an hour after eating. We thought it was food poisoning. Vomiting, diarhoea, fevers, chills, the works. A day and a half later I got it, too, and had to travel home sick as a dog. Now our oldest daughter has it.

So, I can safely say that I did get sick at WDW. The only thing I can say is that we didn't get it from walking barefoot in the rooms.

Will this change my way of travelling? Probably not. I know germs are everywhere, but as has been said, our bodies protect us from almost all of them, and to try and suppress all chances of contracting them only weakens us as a species.

BellesRose
10-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I never take my socks off when staying at Disney. Like I mentioned in another post, my bathroom had black, sticky, dirty floors when I was there last month. Yuck :ack:
I just got back from a Hampton Inn in Indiana and I didn't wear socks the entire time! It was SO much cleaner than any Disney Deluxe Resort I've ever stayed in. Love it!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
I worked in accounting in a hotel for 13 years. I will never go barefoot in ANY hotel room. I also won't use the bedspread. If they get cleaned twice a year, that's a lot. But I also don't like to walk around outside barefoot either.

CAS
10-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I'll agree about the Hamptons (not the Long Island version). They were surprisingly nice last time I needed a place to stay.

I find it funny when people talk about the filth in hotel rooms. The biological traffic in a hotel room is far less than in any other type of public facility. Think of your mall, your gym, and your workplace! There is only one person (or family, but they all have the same cooties anyway) ever staying in a hotel room at any one time, yet in other public settings there may be thousands of people touching, using, or infecting the same door knobs and floor tiles that you touch everyday. There can only be a maximum of 365 infection instances per year in a hotel room, but in any other public place that same number probably occurs daily.

Coupled with the fact that people are much less likely to be sick on vacation that during normal daily life, based on the numbers alone I'll take my chances in the hotel room.

angie12210
10-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I am so glad that a couple of you have brought up the 'Kate' thing. LOLOLOLOL
Isn't it ironic that although it is true that there are some people who get creeped out by walking around barefoot in their rooms when none of us have ever heard of anyone getting any kind of foot disease from this activity. Yet, thousands have plenty to worry about from not wearing proper fitting shoes or socks while walking around the parks. Now that's a thread worth addressing.;)

kakn7294
10-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I grew up with a mom who always made us wear shoes / flip-flops in a hotel room and now as an adult, I almost NEVER wear them in our room. About the only time I do is when we are ready to leave the room. And I HATE socks and enclosed shoes. I wear flip-flops as much as I can, even to the mailbox in the snow!

Loweschevy
10-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I always bring a few pairs of flip flops to wear around in the room, especially after I shower.

Scar
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
... walking anywhere barefoot won't hurt you in the least.Tell that to my broken pinky toe.

joonyer
10-21-2010, 05:16 PM
OK, you got me on that one. Wearing shoes will help protect you from stubbing your toes. Watch out for those chair legs and furniture corners!

dismommy
10-22-2010, 05:24 AM
I will not use the bed spreads they get taken off the beds immediately folded and put aside and after a couple of days mousekeeping usually stops putting them back on and just makes the beds up without them, but I never really thought about walking on the carpets barefoot, I walk around by the pool barefoot so I really doubt I will think twice about this.