PDA

View Full Version : Denied Access VENT

PETE FROM NYC
10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
On 9/12 DW and I tried to ride POTC. We are both disabled and riding ECVs, and I had a GAC.The first cast member we approached was about to let us in the back way. Then some guy comes out ,looks at my GAC, and says we must use the regular line.
I tried to explain to him that we tried that way earlier, with me pushing DW in a manual wheelchair. Too many inclines inside and I lost control. If it was not for two strangers running over to help, I am sure DW would have been injured, maybe me too. They continued to push her to the boarding area while I followed slowly walking with my cane. Well this CM did not care. No amount of arguing would sway him. After a few minutes with this moron, I finally lost my temper, told him exactly what I thought of him and stormed off. When leaving MK for the night, I stopped at Guest Relations to complain, and got no satisfaction. Now I am going to write some letters to WDW top brass and see if I can get any results there before I send a letter to ADA.
Other that this isolated incident,the rest of the trip was great.

Strmchsr
10-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Sorry about that Pete. I know that's frustrating. You're right, it is an isolated event, but it doesn't make it a fun experience. Glad the rest of your trip went well.

ElenitaB
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Pete, you would think that your cane would have been a significant clue to the CMs that maybe this wasn't the right thing to do. Sometimes you just have to wonder. :( Sounds like a "ride through" is in order. By that I mean that at work we've done "ride throughs" in several of our offices throughout the country wherein able-bodied people use a wheelchair the entire day and experience how difficult (or easy) it is to "walk in someone else's shoes" (or in this case, ride).

Renfairwedding
10-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok I give up what is POTC????

Dsnygirl
10-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean... ;) ... there are lots of abbreviations around here, you'll get used to them... :)

JenniferS.
10-03-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm more like what is GAC?

Strmchsr
10-03-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm more like what is GAC?

Guest Assistance Card. It is a card given to people with special needs at WDW to indicate to CMs what type of assistance each person needs.

Renfairwedding
10-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean... ;) ... there are lots of abbreviations around here, you'll get used to them... :)

What not just say so....lol I just could not get that one for some reason.

They insisted I do the same with their suppplyed chair and promised that it would be waiting at the end. Come to the end and no chair. now I make a big deal to let me use the elevator so I can have my own chair waiting.

Daisy'sMom
10-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I used a GAC back in Feb after two back surgeries and needing five more. I walk with a cane.:mickey: DH and I showed the CM at HM the card and he yelled " you're not getting in any quicker". Everyone stopped and looked at us and DH fumed. When we returned home, I wrote to Disney and told them how humilated I was. I explained to them that I did not want to get in "any quicker", that I was afraid of falling in the darkened room after they open the doors to the ride. Everyone pushes to get thru and I have had several close calls. Disney called me and told me that CM had been re-educated. Obviously they need more training.

Disney4us2
10-03-2010, 12:09 PM
It is these types of experiences that have me worried. I would love to see POTC at WDW. Don't know if it is worth the trouble though. It is just me and my DD(10 almost 11) on our trip.

Too bad they didn't set it up how they have it at Disneyland. There you enter through the exit. I would have loved to see the difference between the two.

To the OP... sorry they gave you so much trouble. Glad it didn't ruin you whole trip.

Strmchsr
10-03-2010, 01:39 PM
It is these types of experiences that have me worried. I would love to see POTC at WDW. Don't know if it is worth the trouble though.

Like Pete said, this is an isolated experience. Don't let that keep you from going on POTC. Most of the CMs are wonderful. Every now and then you get one who seems to have slept through Traditions, but most of the time they are extremely helpful.