PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Sci Fi

Basket Mommy
10-02-2010, 02:07 PM
The last time I ate at Sci Fi Dine In at DHS was in January 1996 on my honeymoon. I thought it was such a cool place - and the food was good, as I remember.

Since 2002 we've been taking our kids to the World and I've tried to make a Sci Fi reservation work with our schedule. We had an ADR for there on our trip last year, but my son got sick and we had to cancel. Finally, on the trip we just returned from, we ate there. I had built it up so much to the kids - and I was really let down. They loved the sci fi movie clips, and we all got a good laugh from the cheesiness of them - that part was fun. It was the food and the poor service that really turned me off of ever going back there.

We had dinner at Kouzzina the night before we went to DHS. My entree there cost $26.95 and was worth every penny. Great meal, great service, fantastic atmosphere - Opa! We paid for that OOP since it was a last minute ADR made the same day and I didn't want to give up any of my TS credits to eat there. Now I wish I had cancelled Sci Fi and used my TS credits at Kouzzina. I know it's not fair to compare that to the Sci Fi, because they're not even comparable, really. The entree I ordered at Sci Fi (the ribs) was priced @ $21.95, but it was a far cry from what I had at Kouzzina for the small $5 difference. The portions were much smaller, the waiter was hardly ever there and when he was we could barely understand him. It was just such a let down after so many years of trying to get back there. Maybe it was just our one experience, but I don't think I want to give Sci Fi another chance. Ever.

cather74
10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
We always go there for lunch because we love the atmosphere but the food is not always 100percent. You have to know what to order. As long as we keep ordering right, I guess we'll keep going back!:mickey:

SBETigg
10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
We always go there for lunch because we love the atmosphere but the food is not always 100percent. You have to know what to order. As long as we keep ordering right, I guess we'll keep going back!:mickey:

We also have done Sci-Fi at lunch. I think they're a much better bet at lunch time. Burgers and sandwiches are more their thing, I think. Most of the bad reviews I've read for Sci-Fi have been from guests who have gone at dinner time. Sorry about your bad meal. I have to agree that Kouzzina is a real winner-- opa!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Sci-Fi seems to be hit or miss. We had an "OK" meal there, but nothing I'm rushing back to.

Daisy'sMom
10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
We used to love that place but stopped going after three misses.:mickey:

lynnek
10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
O.K. cather74, what are you ordering that is right?? We will be going there for a lunch.

CanadianWDWFan
10-02-2010, 05:04 PM
We have always had a good lunch at Sci-Fi, sorry that dinner didn't work out for you. I have to admit that we never really wanted to try it for dinner. I do have to agree that they do burgers and the kind pretty well.

Oh, as for Kouzzina's, it is now our absolute favourite restaurant.

PETE FROM NYC
10-02-2010, 08:14 PM
We had a dinner there last week and had no complaints.
The chef came over to discuss my allergies. The wait staff was courteous and efficient, and very quick to refill our drinks. DW and I both enjoyed our food choices.

LudwigVonDrake
10-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I always do the Sci-Fi for lunch. I had the "beef and blue" in July and it was :tasty:

DisneyPrincess21
10-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I have always had good lunch experiences at Sci-Fi, I think they are more of a lunch place, I have never found their dinner menu appealing. They have great burgers & ruebens.

Basket Mommy
10-02-2010, 11:14 PM
We always go there for lunch because we love the atmosphere but the food is not always 100percent.

We also have done Sci-Fi at lunch. I think they're a much better bet at lunch time.

We have always had a good lunch at Sci-Fi, sorry that dinner didn't work out for you.

I always do the Sci-Fi for lunch. I had the "beef and blue" in July and it was :tasty:

I have always had good lunch experiences at Sci-Fi, I think they are more of a lunch place, I have never found their dinner menu appealing. They have great burgers & ruebens.

We were there at 2:15, which I believe is considered lunch. I guess I wasn't clear.

Renfairwedding
10-02-2010, 11:50 PM
We never had any problem.

Gator
10-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Sci Fi Diner is a lot like San Angel Inn... you go there for the atmsophere. After that, it's all downhill.

MagicalGuest
10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I just don't understand why WDW has so many great places to eat, but can't get it together at HS. We always eat at Hollywood & Vine — OK, but the food isn't as good as at other parks.

SBETigg
10-03-2010, 10:18 AM
We were there at 2:15, which I believe is considered lunch. I guess I wasn't clear.

I guess we just assumed dinner because you had the ribs, which I think of as on the dinner menu, but I guess they're on the lunch menu, too. I think what I should have said was that I feel safer to stick with burgers and sandwiches at Sci-Fi, regardless of the dining hour. But it could be that it was a bad day and even burgers and sandwiches wouldn't cut it.

It's always disappointing when we are expecting to repeat a previous enjoyable experience and have a bad one instead. It happened to me at Chefs de France- really good honeymoon experience, really bad return trip. But I went back again recently and was happy to find that it was wonderful again. Things do go up and down. Sorry you caught Sci-Fi on the down.

jpH/keD
10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
We were not impressed with Sci-Fi. I love the idea of it...I would try it for lunch but sorry, not going back for dinner! We have friends that we go with that LOVE it. Not us.

crltkcagle
10-03-2010, 02:41 PM
It was the food and the poor service that really turned me off of ever going back there.

Couldn't agree more! We ate there in 09 and the food and service was horrible!

Ian
10-03-2010, 03:11 PM
We ate there back in February after a long hiatus. It used to be one of our favorite spots, but we found the service and food quality basically dropped off a cliff right around the time when the DDP became popular.

I have to say, I thought it was close to terrible. The food, for what you get, is ridiculously overpriced even for WDW and it was pretty bad. Not only that, but I swear they've cut the portions and serving sizes by 2/3. I got a sandwich (which was embarrassingly bad) and fries and I'm telling you ... I think I had like 6 fries on my plate, all cold.

I ordered a milkshake, too, and back in the day you'd get a nice tall glass along with the metal container that had at least an entire refill in it. This time I got one small glass (maybe 12 oz?) and that was it. No extra, no nothing.

I don't think we'll be going back to Sci Fi anytime soon. The atmosphere is a blast, but between the wait times and the bad food it's just not worth it. And the service was bitterly slow, to boot!

disneymom2000
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
We had dinner at Kouzzina the night before we went to DHS. My entree there cost $26.95 and was worth every penny. Great meal, great service, fantastic atmosphere - Opa! We paid for that OOP since it was a last minute ADR made the same day and I didn't want to give up any of my TS credits to eat there. Now I wish I had cancelled Sci Fi and used my TS credits at Kouzzina.

Just an FYI. In 2007 I went when they had free dining. I had set up my ADR's and a couple of my meals were accidently charged to my dining plan so I wound up paying out of pocket towards the end. When settling up my bill at the resort on the last day, they allowed me to change the higher price meals for the lesser to the dining plan so my OOP was way less. A very Disney thing for them to do. Just a thought. Don't know if this is practice or if this was just something the cast member chose to do as a perk.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I will agree with a few of the others that we simply go for the atmosphere. It's fun, it's cheesy, and just the way we like it! We've realized in the last few years that the food, while if it's good food we are truly appreciative, we don't go to WDW for culinary experiences:cool:. Now, the bad server on the other hand, makes a difference. That's unacceptable.

brivers222
10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
man i am torn now... I went in 2004 and i remember it was a fun place to go and the food wasn't too bad....

I have it on the docket for next thursday lunch but after reading these comments... I might have to take my $$'s elseware ;) My favorite at HS is 50s Prime Time so it won't be too much of tear jerker...

Actually thinking back, I went to disney in 06 on the dining plan and didn't go back to sci-fi.... maybe because its been so long i forgot that I didn't care for it lol

Ms. Mode
10-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Ditto :thumbsup:

joonyer
10-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Stick with burgers, shakes and onion rings. Those items have always been very good for us at Sci-Fi Dine In.

MOJoe
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I have to chime in about the service here. Our last trip to Sci-Fi was during SWW's, June of 09, not exactly a slow time. And i couldn't have asked for anything more from our server. He was right on top of things. He helped us with our order, made sure we got everything and was a delight. In fact, when we were ready to leave, he brought us all glow in the dark cups filled with carmel corn. He set the tone for our entire trip, which was filled with little extras from Castmembers all over the parks.

Maybe we are just lucky, but we have never had anything but good, or in this case, great service at Sci-Fi.

Granny Jill A
10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
The first time I went I was charmed by the fun atmosphere. The food was not great, but we had a very attentive server. Every visit since then has been worse than the time before. The food is way overpriced and the service is awful. I won't even recommend eating there to new visitors. Too bad because it could be a really fun experience.

brownie
10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Don't let one experience stop you. It may have been a very off time for them. It could be a completely different experience the next time. If it happens again, then I'd consider not going back.

Joannelet
10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I love sci-fi. My entire family does. We mostly stick with burgers and fries which are always delicious! We only go during lunchtime. I am so sorry you had a bad experience.

Grumpy.
10-05-2010, 08:22 PM
We've only been once and we had a good time. Our family of 6 were in one car, it was difficult to talk to the rest of the group but it was still possible. We had a great server, funny and attentive. He brought us the caramel corn Sci-Fi cups as well. The food was OK. Not great but not the worst either. I, like many other posters, feel that you should try it at least once. You just can't beat the atmosphere. For our next trip in November my DS (8) stated we absolutely had to go back, it was his favorite restaurant. So we are.

Minnie_Mouse
10-05-2010, 09:07 PM
We went to Sci-fi last September and the dining wasn't the greatest, but the experience was great. We went for a dinner. On our next trip, we are going for a lunch. I'm hoping the food will be a lot better this time.:mickey:

Stu29573
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
We go every trip, but always for lunch and we get an appetizer and share it (with shakes, of course). Therefore we always feel we get a pretty good value.

DisneyFr33k
10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Sci Fi Diner is a lot like San Angel Inn... you go there for the atmsophere. After that, it's all downhill.

:ditto: for both restaurants. Been there, done that, not going back to either.

brivers222
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I decided to rebook SciFi for lunch... what the heck, you only live once :secret:

phillydan
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
The atmosphere is great; the food was hit or miss. First time there, everything was perfect. Second time there: what a disaster - our food was actually frozen in some places and we had to send it back. Still trying to figure out how that happened. Also, the bathrooms were a disgrace. Both times were for lunch.

I agree with the other poster that it is such a disappointment when a return trip to a favorite place turns out badly.

I am sure I will give it another try, since it has been a few years.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-06-2010, 04:31 PM
We've been there 3 times. While I can't remember what I ate, I do remember what it was like. Loved the atmosphere and yes.... we go for the ambiance.

I'm an "appetizer" eater... So, I'll probably get appetizers. We're leaving in 9 days! and will be dining here for lunch in 11 days. It will be our 2 dd's first time eating here and they can't wait after watching some you tube videos.

With that said, I'm holding all my "fine dining" cards for F&W festival and now I need to look at Koussina's......

brivers222
10-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Just went there oop.. the food was decent. Both split the onion rings and then each had the angus burger.

Would we go back? probably not without the Dinning Plan

ElenitaB
10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
We went in August and were able to get a lunch walk-in spot right at opening. Our server was very nice, the chef was very friendly and my meal was one that I still think about (and need to try to reproduce at home). I never expected a well-prepared vegetarian meal at a place known for its burgers, but it really was good! And my DS was happy with his burger too. I'd definitely go back... for the food AND the atmosphere.