View Full Version : Poly: Pampered and Indulged Day 7 Part 2

SBETigg
10-01-2010, 10:06 AM
The Spoiled:
Sherri, 40-something
Sean, 40-something
Nick, 19
Elissa, 17

Objective: One big last family trip before both kids are in college and schedules/circumstances prohibit future family stays.

Tuesday August 24
* This is a big day and I am dividing it to two parts to give adequate description to the GF Spa for anyone interested in going there and how it works, previous report.

Back in the room after a spa day and lunch... The clothes I wore to the massage? Reeking of lavender-vanilla. I put them aside in their own plastic bag so they don't contaminate everything else (not that it's a bad smell, just that it's pretty potent). I've been avoiding laundry by allowing kids to buy new stuff as they need it (decadence!) and so far, so good. We packed a lot. They haven't needed much. Of course, we'll still need new luggage to get it all home. But I'm not about to break down and do laundry now. Sean returns with a bottle of wine (more toxins!) for us to share on the balcony as the sun begins to reappear.

The kids return. They ate at Yak and Yeti (table service, oop) and had an amazing time. Today, they think we're the ones who missed out and should be jealous. Ah, youth. After some r & r and showers, we're all ready to head to Epcot for evening EMH and dinner at Kouzzina.

I convince the crew to monorail to MK and catch the Boardwalk bus from there, giving us a chance to explore the Boardwalk before dinner. I'm trying to broaden our resort horizons. My family remains determined to believe that the monorail resorts are where to be. And while I love staying on the monorail, I think, after staying at the Dolphin, that staying over in the Epcot area could be really great, too. Unfortunately, I can't convince the family. The Beach Club and the Boardwalk look like fun, but just aren't quite what they want. My son really wants to try the Contemporary next time. I remind him that he will be an adult and might be paying his own way next time. We'll see (secretly, I hope not-- another family trip is always great for me).

Dinner at Kouzzina. I ate at Kouzzina on my recent trip for a conference, and I really want the family to be impressed and love it as much as I did. But we've had some really great dining this week and competition is stiff. Sure enough, my daughter doesn't like anything on the menu and my son turns down my recommendation to try the Fisherman's Stew because he had shrimp for lunch. Last time I was here, Bobby was my waiter. He was fantastic and I warned him I would be back. I'm delighted that Bobby is my waiter again, and not only that but-- he remembers me! He knows I was with other romance authors during the conference and that we had a really great time (lots of laughing at our table) and that I said I would be back. Of course, we have great service again.

We start with the calamari (for Nick and me, the other two won't eat it) and spanakopita for Sean and Elissa. I hate to get the same thing twice, but my son won't try the Fisherman's Stew scallops, seasonal fish, shrimp, mussel, fennel, grilled bread, and ouzo butter, so I feel compelled to order it again. I convince my husband to get the Slow-Cooked Lamb Shank served with oven-baked gigantes beans and pepper Sauce, which is amazing, even though he does not like lamb (I know he will like this- he does). My daughter gets the Pastitsio - Greek-style lasagna with bucatini pasta, cinnamon-stewed meat sauce, and bechamel. Bobby suggests the trio instead as the pastitsio is an exceptionally large portion, but she's not having it. She sticks with her choice. Nick has the Trio, tasting size portions of Pastitisio, Char-grilled Lamb Burger, and Cinnamon-stewed Chicken with Orzo.

The lamb burger was a huge hit with my friend last time, and it's a big hit with Nick as well. This lamb burger is so good that Nick asks Bobby why it's not on the menu by itself. Bobby reveals that it used to be, but no one ordered it. I guess because it sounds so standard, lamb burger, but it's truly exceptional and quite a surprise. He tells Nick the little-known fact that he could actually order the trio with three of anything all the same instead of all three offered dishes. Nick makes a note that he will be back again one day for the lamb burger trio. Elissa, predictably, does not love her dinner. It is indeed huge (huge!) and far too much of a good thing. Not a great thing. In fact, she says the pastitsio tastes a bit like Chef Boyardee Beefaroni. I try it, and OMG, she's right. Of course, I like Beefaroni, but couldn't eat an entire casserole dish of it on my own, either.

Dessert, we barely have room but forge on ahead. Nick isn't usually a dessert fan, but he's excited about the Loukoumades - freshly made Greek doughnuts drizzled with warm honey. I stick with the Baklava - traditional walnut and cinnamon pastry with pistachio gelato. Elissa gets Chocolate Budino Cake - warm molten chocolate with whipped cream. Sean has Galaktoboureko - semolina custard in baked phyllo dough and vanilla-praline gelato. Interesting and delicious, but Nick's doughnuts are my favorite (and he shares). The verdict: Kouzzina is one of the best one TS places on property, and highly recommended if you like mediterranean flavors. If you're strictly meat and potatoes, this is probably not for you. If you go, don't get the pastitsio-- way too big and comparatively unimpressive. Stick with the Trio and be prepared to go wild for the lamb burger. Four of Five stars.

After dinner, we putter around Epcot. Soarin boasts a twenty minute wait and we think we'll finally get on. But when we get there, the line is out toward the escalators. I've never seen it so long. Twenty minutes? We ask the CM at the door. She nods and maintains yep, that's what it says. My husband says she can't be serious and she cracks a smile and shrugs. We skip Soarin again and go ride Test Track twice (single rider, ten minutes, true to the sign). Then some World Showcase. We catch Illuminations over by Italy, and then Maelstrom, another River ride in Mexico, and we're all ready to head back to the Polynesian.

My husband's leg hasn't bothered him once. He left off the leg brace and he's suddenly racing ahead of crowds (not many crowds today) and faster than the rest of us. The amazing power of massage. We're all looking forward to some good park time in the next (our last) few days.

Tomorrow, early start at Disney Studios, MK, and a night off from fine dining. Counter service only.

Previous Report: Day 7 Part 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=2105744#post2105744)

faline
10-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Overall, a totally relaxed day! Loved it!

Glad your husband's leg is feeling better - hopefully, he retains his stamina for your last few days!

T-Belle
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Glad to hear the massage worked magic on your husbands knee!

SBETigg
10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear the massage worked magic on your husbands knee!

Maybe it was also keeping things low key in the previous days and making sure we didn't rush around too much. The knee hasn't been a problem since then, though. He has been completely well and mobile.

RedSoxFan
10-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Great day and a nice dinner with your family.

Melanie
10-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Too bad you can't talk the family into just one trip at an Epcot resort. Maybe one day. ;)

Thanks for the details on Kouzzina. The lamb burger sounds so good. Beefaroni? lol Sounds like lamb burger trio is definitely the way to go.

And talk about the power of massage! So glad your husband's knee is better.

pdrlkr
10-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-13-2010, 08:27 PM
will you ever get on Soarin'???? :D

SBETigg
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
I need to finish this report! I'll try to get to it tomorrow morning. :)