PDA

View Full Version : visiting the World in December?

bostonsam
10-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Well it will be my 5th time traveling to Disney with my mom and 2 boys,but haven't in the "colder" months...main concern(s) is the weather?How to pack?and how will I recover from the most beautiful Christmas decorations I'm about to witness:cloud9:lol any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Disney4us2
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Welcome to Intercot:mickey:

We will be there in December too. It can range from very warm to down right cold.

I pack a little of everything. Short sleeves tops. shorts to jeans and long sleeve tops. Also lightweight sweatshirts to heavier jackets. Our last trip was in Dec. and it was cold enough for the heavier jackets.

At Disney's Hollywood Studios park is the Osborne Family Spectacle of LIghts. That is a must see. The streets are all lit up and then the lights keep time with the holiday music.

Also go to the other resorts to see the decorations. The Grand Floridian is just incredible. They have a life size gingerbread house.

Have a great trip.

disneymom15
10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
The castle is so beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes. I also agree, Osbourne lights are a must. We'll be there in Dec too.

GrumpyFan
10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree with Disney4us2, pack a little of everything, it's hard to know what to expect.
We did a trip in December several years ago, and were wearing shorts and t-shirts one night while attending Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I seem to remember the temps were in the 80s, which was unseasonably warm, but not unusual either.

faline
10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
On my last December trip (2009), I wore jeans and long sleeved tees for most of the trip. It warmed up on the day we attended Mickey's party and we wore shorts and tees right through the entire eveing. A few years ago, we attended Mickey's party wearing multiple layers and winter coats and left early because we were so cold. So, expect all extremes and prepare accordingly!

eeyorepoohfan
10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
My DH and I went last Dec 10-15th (going the same dates again this year). The first couple days were cool to cold and drizzly. :rain: We needed long sleeve shirts and jeans during the day and a jacket in the evening. :freeze: The last days of our trip were record high temps with high humidity. :whew: :fan: I failed to pack shorts and regretted it. So this year I will be packing a couple of pairs of jeans and shorts, t-shirts, long sleeve t-shirts and a light jacket.

It's a great time to visit WDW! I love all of the decorations! Osborne lights are amazing, so is watching the casle lighting! The feeling is just amazing. And yes, WDW will ruin all other Christmas decorations for you! ;) When my DH and I came back last year, we tried to drive around the neighborhoods to see lights but were really disappointed because, of course, they couldn't hold a candle to WDW!!!! :santa3:

I hope you have a wonderful and magical trip! Just remember to slow down every once in a while to take it all in! Enjoy!

bostonsam
10-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful/helpful replies,I plan on packing a lil of everything now lol...getting more antsy:coaster::minnie2:

AllDisney
10-01-2010, 05:13 PM
We pack a little bit of everything when we go to WDW in December.

One year when we arrived we were able to wear shorts & tees for the first 3 or 4 days. As the week progressed it got colder and the warmer clothes got worn. I even had to buy gloves towards the end of our trip because the evenings got soooo cold:mickey:

2MuchWDFun
10-01-2010, 06:04 PM
We went Christmas week last year...it was nice during the day. We could easily get away with a lightweight sweatshirt...night was another matter. For some reason we only had one scarf between us. We bought a couple of scarves and one hat. You may also want to consider lightweight knit gloves--you can buy them inexpensively at Walmart or the Dollar Store.

As others have said---bring layers, just in case. I thought since we are from western PA we could handle any cool weather that Florida could throw at us...very cool temps, a breeze, and humidity make it a damp-cold. We are going again this year Christmas week...glad we are flying Southwest so we can check a couple of bags (free) with coats, scarfs, sweaters, plus shorts and tees, too!

brownie
10-02-2010, 09:49 PM
We were there at the end of November/beginning of December in 2003. It got up to around 70 degrees F each day, except for the day we left when it was in the 40's. Plan on it being cool in the morning and evening and somewhat warm during the day, although that can vary.

RedSoxFan
10-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I'll be there 12/11 -- 12/19 and I hope it's not cold. I don't mind wearing a sweatshirt or a fleece jacket.