PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone recommendation for 12 year old

Mousefever
10-01-2010, 01:48 AM
I am hoping some of you can give me suggestions on what type of cell phone we should get for our 12 year old son as a Christmas present. It has to be a Verizon phone. I'm looking for a phone that the other kids will think is cool, but won't inspire enough envy to make it a target for theft. Does anyone have ideas?

Amy

Disney4us2
10-01-2010, 02:28 AM
We are with Verizon and I got my DD the LG. It has a camera/video. The phone slides and has a full keyboard. It has all the basic functions. I have the Samsung Reality touch phone. DD likes mine better.

I had Verizon turn off the texting (DD is 10 and doesn't need that). I also had them block any downloads.

kakn7294
10-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Each member of my family has the LG EnV3. It's a decent phone - great for texting which we do all the time. DH and I have the mobile internet which is not so great on this phone but the kids don't have internet. It's a good one for the kids - looks cool, does what they need, and was cheap (free). It also has good battery life which is important because I'm the only one in the family who likes to keep their phone fully charged.

Mousefever
10-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Marci, it looks like Verizon has more than one LG. Which one did you get your daughter? How long has she had it? Thanks for the input ladies!

Amy

Jeri Lynn
10-01-2010, 07:14 AM
I have an LG enV3 and I love the phone, however I am on my third one in less then a year. For some reason it will shut off when I go to access the internet and then sometimes the screen has all these weird lines and colors in it. I got another one about a month ago and it just started happening again. My year is up in November. I am starting to wonder if they are giving me a reconditioned phone when I return it. I am very careful with my phone, it is never mistreated or dropped. I love it and it is easy to use, but for some reason it has issues.

I would also be careful of which phone you get because I believe with Verizon, if you get a smart phone you have to purchase some sort of internet package, whether or not you intend to use it.

They also have parental controls for $4.99 per month and you can put time limits on the phone and choose actual times that calls can be made or received by the phone. There is also a "safe" list that are numbers that can be dialed/received at anytime.

Jacket93
10-01-2010, 07:41 AM
I got my kids the Casio GZ- boulder it is water and shock proof. It went through the washer and dryer a few times and works fine. I think the replacement for it is called the GZ-ROCK. They demo it by placing it a glass of water and then taking out and it still works.Got the boulder after my older son jumped in the pool with his old phone and ruined it.

VWL Mom
10-01-2010, 07:57 AM
I think the LG EnV3 is a great choice for a 12yo. DS18 used to have the EnV2 (I still have mine) as did many of his friends. QWERTY keyboard is definitely a plus for texting. IMO the phone itself is sturdier than many phones out there which is another plus.

Disney4us2
10-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Marci, it looks like Verizon has more than one LG. Which one did you get your daughter? How long has she had it? Thanks for the input ladies!

Amy

It is the LG enV3.... I think. I is the most current one. I got it in July of this year.

Mickey'sGirl
10-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I have an LG and I hate it. It goes blank, the qwerty keys stop working randomly. I had an HTC that I LOVED. I don't know about Verizon's plans, but I really LOVED my HTC. My niece LOVES her Samsung.

An honest to goodness question .. not a judgement at all!! ... Do 12 year olds have cell phones? Cells aren't allowed at school at any level in our region, and my 12 year old son uses our home phone to talk to his friends.

Ian
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
It has to be a Verizon phone.

I'm looking for a phone that the other kids will think is cool ... I think item #1 pretty much rules out item #2, since it means you can't get her an iPhone. ;)

Kidding!

The kids seem to like the phones that have full QWERTY keyboards for texting. I see a lot of them with the flip-out keyboard kind. I don't know much about them myself since I'm an iPhone guy, but I'm sure it can't be that hard to track one down. Find one that has neon blue lights and a hip name and you'll be good! :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
10-01-2010, 11:10 AM
A lot of the Verizon phones now require a $10/month data plan package. That leaves very few phones to choose from for strictly cell phone/text messaging use. DD had the enV2; but the enV3 requires the data package. I'm not sure which phone her and DS18 have; but it does not require the data package. They like their phones; but not overly thrilled about them. But as long as I'm paying the bill; they'll have to deal with it.

SBETigg
10-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Each member of my family has the LG EnV3. It's a decent phone - great for texting which we do all the time. DH and I have the mobile internet which is not so great on this phone but the kids don't have internet. It's a good one for the kids - looks cool, does what they need, and was cheap (free). It also has good battery life which is important because I'm the only one in the family who likes to keep their phone fully charged.

I also have the EnV3. It's not as fancy as the phones the rest of my family has, but I love the keyboard for texting and the battery life is great. Also, using the internet and downloading apps is not a highlight of this phone. It's great for the basics, calling and texting and holding a battery charge, which I imagine is what you want for a younger user. I have not had any problems with mine.

Kids in our area are allowed to have cell phones at school, but not allowed to take them out or use them in class or they are confiscated and not given back until a parent comes in. They're pretty much a way of life now even at an early age and the big relief is being able to reach your kids easily and them being able to reach you.

Melanie
10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
An honest to goodness question .. not a judgement at all!! ... Do 12 year olds have cell phones? Cells aren't allowed at school at any level in our region, and my 12 year old son uses our home phone to talk to his friends.

My 12 AND 10 year olds have phones. They are allowed at school, but have to be turned off. They can use them before and after school though.

princessjojo
10-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I think item #1 pretty much rules out item #2, since it means you can't get her an iPhone. ;)

But, I have read in several places that Apple is coming out with an iPhone for Verizon around Jan. But there's a lot of debate as to how well it'll take off because so many are so pleased with the Droids/Android OS phones.

My 15y/o wants the Droid X for christmas, among other things and my 13y/o really doesn't want to do any more than text and go to FB.

Do 12 year olds have cell phones? Cells aren't allowed at school at any level in our region, and my 12 year old son uses our home phone to talk to his friends.

And yes, kids of all ages have them now. We gave them to our kids when they were 10. Young I know, but they were becoming active with lots of things such as overnight trips with scouts, and friends. It gave me a way to get in touch with them when a phone wasn't available. If they were at the pool in the summer, I could call or text them. And if they were in a situtation they weren't comfortable in, they could discretely call/text me and I could get them out without them becoming "uncool." If practice runs late or early, I can be contacted easily. It has become a convience for us, and quite frankly a large part of society. They aren't allowed in school and are suppose to be turned off, but after my son was left at school by a ride one day, they'll continue to take them with them. And as long as they aren't a problem or disruption to the class, I don't care if they're turned on or off. I have been known to text my kids during their lunch period for the occasional fyi, or to let them know someone different would get them after school. As long as they use them wisely...

Good luck choosing!

Ian
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
But, I have read in several places that Apple is coming out with an iPhone for Verizon around Jan.Totally rumor already debunked by Verizon's CEO.

Definitely no Verizon iPhone in January.

SBETigg
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Jojo, my son has the Droid X and he loves it. He's 19. My husband has the Droid Incredible, and also loves his. They both looked at and have used iPhones and think their phone choices are much better. But they also don't like AT&T service here, so that could have something to do with it, plus they are not Apple fans. I'm a mac user and I'm interested in getting an iPhone, but only if they come to Verizon (which sources have said is a coming soon, if not January-- the CEO wouldn't exactly say so if he wants people to buy phones now and not hold out for iPhone in January).

But for a 12 year old, I think the EnV3 might be a better choice.

RedSoxFan
10-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I have the Droid X also.
I absolutely love it.
I wanted the Iphone; but not AT&T.

Mousefever
10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I got my kids the Casio GZ- boulder it is water and shock proof. It went through the washer and dryer a few times and works fine. I think the replacement for it is called the GZ-ROCK. They demo it by placing it a glass of water and then taking out and it still works.Got the boulder after my older son jumped in the pool with his old phone and ruined it.

That's too funny! No wonder you got the waterproof phone. Welcome to Intercot, or at least, welcome to posting at Intercot!!!

We were going to wait until he was 13, which is next May, but decided to push it up by 5 months. He entered middle school this year and he has more activities that don't involve us. It gives me peace of mind to know that he can contact us when he needs to. It's also a reflection of his more "grown-up" status. He's been a very responsible student this year, and has handled all of the new challenges of being in middle school. Plus, he pretty much knows we were waiting for his 13th birthday to get him a phone. This way it will be a surprise! All of this went into our decision making process.

I think item #1 pretty much rules out item #2, since it means you can't get her an iPhone. ;)

Ian, Ian, Ian...My son is a him. I believe you even met him at the 10th Anniversary party in 2007. I don't remember, so I'm sure you don't either. Luckily, he is not on Intercot because he is not yet 13, or else you'd have to be helping me pick up his fragile male ego! ;)

Thanks for all the advice everybody!

Amy

Kenny1113
10-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Do 12 year olds have cell phones?

Yes, DS 9 has been asking for a phone since 1st grade! ( other kids in class had one) I have not bought one for him because I drop him off and pick him up from school.

Magic Smiles
10-21-2010, 09:48 PM
A lot of the Verizon phones now require a $10/month data plan package.
$10 a month is nothing. Our data plans are $50 per month and if you have a data phone, you have no choice about it.

Scar
10-21-2010, 10:41 PM
$10 a month is nothing.Yes it is... it's $10.

Cinderelley
11-01-2010, 03:07 AM
My daughter has the chocolate. It works out very well for her. She can download music (she can use earphones with it if I don't want to listen to it), take her own pics, text, etc. It can be used to access the internet, but I didn't buy the data plan for her. I don't want her accessing the internet without me knowing what she is doing on it. We did have a problem with it once. The touch screen wouldn't work. Verizon exchanged it for free without any problems and said that they were aware of the cause and were working on it.

magicofdisney
11-04-2010, 06:17 PM
We have AT&T so I can't offer specific model advice. However, I can offer general advice.

Traditional flip-phones are completely out of style. One of my daughters has a flip-phone but it opens from the side and has a full keyboard. She can dial from a touch pad on the outside or the keyboard from inside. My other daughter and son have phones with a keyboard that slide out from the side. As a pp mentioned, full keyboards are expected. Also, boys do NOT want a carrying case. This is UNCOOL, regardless of how much it may protect the phone from all the various injuries a boy can provide.

HTH. :)

BriarRose0708
11-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Amy, hi! I can't believe Jacob is 12, oh my gosh!

I am on Verizon and have the Alias 2. Have had it for over a year and LOVE it. The phone opens two ways, it hinges up or opens horizontally and they keys electronically change depending on which way you have it open, which is pretty cool. I text and talk on it, and don't have an interest in using it for internet because I have an iTouch and being on a college campus there is wireless everywhere. If you're looking to get him a basic phone for calls and texts, look into the Alias or Envy lines.