PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions to Help Plan My Nov. Trip

crazydiamondd1
09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone!

I am in the process of planning a trip to DisneyWorld and am looking for some advice/guidance from all of you Intercot experts! I’ve been lurking around here for years but I haven’t had an opportunity to plan a trip until now. Sorry for the length of the post but I wanted to include all of the information to get the best advice possible.

We are a group of 5 in total. I haven’t been to DisneyWorld in 20 years, when I was 10 years old. My girlfriend has never been, and we are taking my cousins who are 12 and 10 year old girls (and have never been), along with my aunt.

We have rented a house offsite (total cost of $1100 including a private, heated pool), thinking that it will be both cheaper and offer us more space and a chance to cook some meals to save more money (as opposed to staying on site). Even with the added cost of a rental car and parking costs in the parks everyday, it seems like we come out well ahead. We also plan on visiting the Universal parks, so the rental car will come in handy there as well.

Our travel dates are Nov. 5 – 15th, chosen because it was most convenient for taking time off of work and also hoping to run into smaller crowds during that time. That leaves us with 9 days available for activities, since we arrive early evening on the 5th and leave early morning on the 15th. With so much time, we decided to get 6 day park tickets to Disney (non park-hopper) and 2 day Universal tickets (again without park to park access). Even if we are done visiting our “park-of-the-day” earlier than closing time, it just means we’ll have the rest of the day to relax back at our rental house, enjoy the pool and get ready for the next day. I do understand that no park hopping means one Disney Park per day and that we can’t use an extra day to visit another park that day.

We plan to visit both Universal parks for 1 day each, all 4 Disney parks for 1 day each and still have 2 extra days (likely to visit MK and maybe EPCOT a second day each). We are leaning towards skipping SeaWorld due to the cost and the lack of time.

We haven’t yet decided which parks to visit on which day. Our plan is to look at the special events at each park and visit it when those events are happening (ie. Wishes, Fantasmic, etc). Beyond that, we are just planning to avoid the Extra Magic Hour parks each day. We will also try to avoid Universal’s IOA on the Saturday because of the popularity of the Harry Potter attractions (which we will also be visiting as the girls are big fans).

We plan to ensure we see Wishes, the Main Street Electrical Parade, the Osborne Family Lights, Illuminations and Fantasmic while we are in each of the parks. Can anyone suggest some good spots to see some of these shows from (remembering that I’m not as familiar with the park layouts as many of you)? Also, how since Fantasmic only seems to be on certain nights, how early should we arrive to ensure we get in to see it?

What other “must-see” events are there in any of the parks?
Will the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT have a big impact on the crowds at World Showcase?
Speaking of food: since we haven’t made and Advanced Dining Reservations, what restaurants in each park would you recommend we visit for lunch?
I understand that the crowds are pretty manageable at this time of year, but what attractions should we use fast pass for or visit first thing in order to avoid crowds as much as possible?
A question for my fellow Canadians: What is the best way to use my Telus iPhone for data while in the U.S.? I have heard suggestions before about getting a travel package or something like that for the time I will be away…does anyone have any info to share on how this sort of thing works? I have an app for wait times at different attractions and also I’d like to use it for GPS if it won’t cost a small fortune to do so.
Any finally, am I missing anything else in my planning?

Again, sorry for the length but I know that all of you “regulars” have lots to share and that so much of it depends on individual cirumstances.

Thanks in advance for all of your tips!

faline
10-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

There are many excellent places from which to view the Main Street Electrical Parade. Anywhere along Main Street or in Frontierland generally provides good viewing. Do plan to stake out your spot at least one - two hours before the parade actually starts or it is likely you will not get a front row spot.

The best place to see Wishes, in my opinion, is from Main Street. Lately, cast members will not allow you to stand in the street until the show actually starts so try to be off to the side near where you want to stand. I like to be closer to the Castle than Casey's (which is located at the first major intersection off Main Street on the left) and in the street. This generally provides an unobstructed view of the Castle and gives you a good view of Tinker Bell when she flies overhead.

No need to choose a location for the Obsorne Lights. It's a walk-through attraction. Generally the traffic is all directed in one direction but, if you go early enough, you can circle around and walk through again. A second walk-through is recommended as you will certainly not be able to take it all in during your first walk-through.

For Illuminations, you can select a lagoon side spot almost anywhere around the lagoon. If it's windy, select a spot with the wind blowing from behind you instead of at you. If you're facing the wind coming at you, you'll likely also be facing smoke and other debris from the fireworks. Again, stake out your spot 1-2 hours before Illuminations begins in order to get a prime viewing location.

Fantasmic takes place in a large arena. While there is lots of seating, the limited viewing has increased the crowds on the days this is occurring. I'd plan to get on line about 2 hours before the show begins in order to secure your spot. Once in the theater, it doesn't really matter where you sit as all seats have a good view. If you sit closer to the front, you stand a good chance of getting wet as many of the effects are produced with water which may either drift or be blown into the lower rows of seats. Personally, I prefer to sit higher up in the arena.

faline
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
The must-see's on most people's lists include:
Magic Kingdom:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
It's A Small World
Peter Pan
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
though there are many more attractions that are worth a look-see.

Epcot:
Test Track
Soarin'
Mission:Space
Spaceship Earth

Disney Studios
Toy Story Mania
Tower of Terror
Rock n Roller Coaster
Great Movie Ride

Animal Kingdom
Expedition Everest
Safari
Dinosaur

Again, each of the parks have many attractions that are worth seeing beyond the most popular. If you haven't already, get a book about Disney that includes information about each of the rides and attractions. Have everyone in your traveling group select the things that most interest them and make sure you work those attractions into your touring plans.

faline
10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Crowds should be pretty manageable during your time frame though Veterans' Day falls on November 11th and is a U.S. holiday.

The food & wine festival does attract larger crowds into World showcase at Epcot, particularly on weekends.

Fast passes are available at some, but not all rides. Definitely get fast passes early in the day for Toy Story Mania, Soarin, and Expedition:Everest. Fast passes for these rides tend to go pretty quickly and may be all gone for the day if you wait too long.

For food, you can try calling Disney dining on the morning of the day you are visiting to see what is available. You can also drop into Guest Services at the park you're visiting to inquire about same day dining.

Here are some spots that don't require reservations.
In the Magic Kingdom:
Columbia Harbour House
Main Street Bakery
Casey's

Epcot:
Sunshine Seasons (in the Land Building)
China has a quick service option
Germany has some quick service
Mexico has a quick service option
United Kingdom has a quick service fish n chips option

Disney Studios:
Tune In Lounge

Animal Kingdom:
Pizzafarri
Flame Tree Barbecue

IamaDisneyFan
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
These shows are an absolute don't miss for our family:

Beauty and the Beast in Hollywood Studios
Festival of The Lion King &
Finding Nemo the Musical in Animal Kingdom

crazydiamondd1
10-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Faline, thank you for all of that (very helpful) info. I do have the unofficial guide, but I was also looking for the opinions of Intercotees.

Disneyfan, do all of those shows you mentioned run daily?

IamaDisneyFan
10-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Disneyfan, do all of those shows you mentioned run daily?[/QUOTE]

Yes! And a few times each day. Each park has a daily schedule that will tell you the times of the parades and shows. Make sure you grab one each day at each park, and it will help you plan out where you want to be.

2MuchWDFun
10-02-2010, 09:46 AM
You may want to consider using the Fantasmic Dinner Package to see Fantasmic and not have to wait in a long line to get in. Plus, the reserved seating section is on the right hand side near the exit--so you'll be the first to exit.

We really enjoyed our meal at Mama Melrose. There are many people who do not like Hollywood and Vine--do a little research on the quality of the food.

Here's the info:
Tier One ~

Hollywood & VineAdults -- $23.99 (plus tax and gratuity).
Children -- $11.99 (plus tax and gratuity).
Includes full buffet and dessert.

~ Tier Two ~

Mama MelroseAdults (10 and above)-- $32.99 (plus tax and gratuity).
Dinner package is price fixe: appetizer, dinner, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage.

Children (up to age 9)-- $-11.99 (plus tax and gratuity).
Any meal from the child's menu.
Includes entree, dessert, and beverage.

~ Tier Three ~

Hollywood Brown Derby
Adults -- $46.99 (plus tax and gratuity).
Includes choice of soup, salad, or appetizer, entree and dessert.

Children -- $11.99 (plus tax and gratuity).
Any meal from the child's menu.
Includes entree, dessert and beverage.

How Does It Work?

All packages included seating at that night's Fantasmic! and dinner at the restaurant chosen.

Dining vouchers and Fantasmic! seating coupons are issued at the same time. Guests should report to their restaurant 15 minutes before the delegated seating time. Fantasmic! seating passes are issued at that time. Theme park admission is not included.

You can book the package 180 days in advance by calling; 1-407- WDW-DINE

Sales tax not included.

There is a cancellation period of 48 hours.

The reserved section is on the right-hand side of the theater in the Witch section. You must arrive at least 30 minutes before the show starts. Once you arrive at Oscar's Super Service, a Cast Member sends you through the cast gate. Do not enter the Fantasmic! line that starts at the amphitheater's Sunset Boulevard entrance.

Availability is very limited, so request it as early as possible.

- Priority Seating Arrangements are distinct from the Fantasmic! Dinner Package. If you want the package you need to book it specifically.

Restaurants and details may change, and Fantasmic! may be cancelled in bad weather.

The voucher is nontransferable. Valid only on the date stamped.

A $10 per person cancellation fee will apply for cancellations within 48 hours or "no-shows."

A credit card is needed to secure the reservation.
INTERCOT Members Testimonials:

badkitty
10-02-2010, 01:50 PM
:welcome: to Intercot! How exciting to be planning a trip! :thumbsup: Here are some of my favorite tips that work well for me:

As mentioned by PP, Epcot during the F&W Festival will be most crowded during the weekends but also on Fridays and in the evenings. I'm not sure if they still have the "After 4" park pass for FL residents but that seemed to me to make the crowds higher in the past.

Try to avoid MK on Saturday. It is their busiest day. I prefer Fridays.

AK to me is best in the mornings. Try to get there at rope drop (on non-EMH mornings) and you be able to see a lot by lunchtime. Try to get on the safari before mid-afternoon. There tends to be a lot more animals around mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Too close to park closing and the animals are already "heading back to the barn".

DHS is always more crowded on Fantasmic! days but if you want to see the show, there isn't another option. I agree with a PP that said to get the dinner package.

When watching Wishes near the Castle, avoid standing between the street and the stage. The Castle blocks a lot of fireworks when you are that close to the Castle. I prefer to be to the right side of the hub (when facing the Castle) or right behind the hub (before you get to actual Main Street. If it is too crowded around the hub, head towards Tomorrowland and stand on the bridge.

Have fun! If you have more questions, we are all ready to help! :mickey:

mousetrapper
10-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I agree regarding the Fantasmic! dinner package. We've used it every time we've gone and it always works out perfectly.

Regarding Extra Magic Hours (EMH) - they're only available for those staying on property anyway.

Although the time you're going is a great time to go because it's not very crowded, I'd recommend getting a few ADRs booked before you leave just in case.

We had a great Illuminations-watching experience during our last trip. We booked dinner ADR at 7 pm at the Rose & Crown in England. We asked to be seated outside to view the fireworks and our table was at the railing overlooking the water. We were just finishing our dessert when the 9 pm Illuminations show started.

Have a wonderful time! :thumbsup: