PDA

View Full Version : Divorced... Dating... Discouraged... Aaaggghhh

DisneyRN
09-30-2010, 08:53 PM
So, I have been a member of this site since like '00 or '01. Since Oct of '07, I have been divorced, if you all didnt know.

Well, after 3 years of being mostly full-time single mom, I never realized dating as a late 20's-early 30's would be so hard/frustrating. I consider myself pretty, independent, successful. But, I am here to say, dating stinks past teenage years!

Sorry, just had to gripe! I am over the whole situation! :ill:

Lily
09-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Ha! Try it in your early 40s! Oh my! I've been single nearly 3 years now. It's been an amazing time. I've grown a lot as a person. But, you're right. The pickins are quite slim! It's all right, though. I would rather be single than married to someone I wasn't happy with. Something is not better than nothing in this case. Ah, well. The waiting continues.

Best wishes to you!

Sue

lawgirl
09-30-2010, 11:09 PM
As a (now remarried) divorcee, I know its hard. But just hang in there, and hang on to your hope! You never know when your prince /princess charming is right around the corner.

brivers222
10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I am a divorcee since May of '08 albeit took 8 months for my lawyer to get the case closed....eventhough we split everything and had no kids!

But either way, I took some time off then I decided to go on Match. Looks like I am the 1 in 4 that find their match on match. I am getting married on 11.12.11 to my wonderful fiancee.

It is the pits having to date again :( Keep your head up, the right man will come to you!!!

cajundisneyfreak
10-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I know the feeling.I'm divorced after 23 years of marriage.He left me & our 3 sons for a 24 yr.old.So imagine being 42 and haven't been on a date in 23 years.I thought high school was rough.lol I'm waiting patiently.I have hope that one day I'll meet my prince charming.He will definitely have to be a Disney fan.lol

NewDVCowner
10-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Totally hear you. I've never been married, in my early 30's and find it pretty impossible to meet people. I've tried the dating sites but they just didn't work out for me. At least I'm happy enough with myself that I can spend time by myself.

Disney Hungarian
10-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Hang in there!
I'm 42 and was married 16 years (no kids-bummer). Got divorced 4 years ago. Mom had an automobile accident 2 years ago and is disabled now. Had to move her in with me and care for her 24/7. I had to sell my company and haven't been able to work since. I know that dating is tough. But, it can be done. I have been on a few dates and although it didn't work out since they couldn't have a relationship with me without my mom being involved, they decided I wasn't the one for them. That is their loss as I see it, and am glad to find that out early in the relationship. Being lonely bites. But if you are proud of who you are and what you are doing, makes all of the dates, or possible dates live up to your expectations. Not the other way around. I say don't sell yourself short and enjoy the freedom. I am taking mom to WDW tomorrow and I don't care if I meet someone or not. I am happy with who I am and what I'm doing. That is a wonderful feeling, and I wish everyone could feel that way about themselves.

faline
10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Hang in there!
I am happy with who I am and what I'm doing. That is a wonderful feeling, and I wish everyone could feel that way about themselves.

You are clearly a very caring person. I'm certain there is someone out there who will see those qualities in you!

Sammyjo
10-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I am having trouble too (female early 30's). Too bad we don't have a Disney's single club here at the water cooler. I would love to meet a guy that is in to Disney as much as I am.

Samantha (Sam) aka looking in Mid-Missouri ;)

divinedi
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I too have been single for about 6 years, grown children, and I'm 53! I too am comfortable being on my own, well as alone as you can be with my three early 20`s girls still at home! I do get lonely at times though, it would be nice to have someone to grow old with and who loves Disney as much as I do, but it gets more difficult as I get older, and I am pooh sized which doesn`t help in the dating scene!!!!

RalsFam
10-24-2010, 12:03 AM
In the middle of a divorce myself. I am not looking forward to the dating scene at all. Not interested right now anyway. But if I do, she will most definitely have to be a huge Disney fan.

DisneyDudet
10-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I am a 26 year old woman and I have never been married. My last real relationship was about 5 years ago, and we were together 3.5 years. Since then I have graduated college, started my career as a nurse, and have started grad school. I have tried online stuff and it doesn't work out for me at all.

At this point, I am not even looking anymore. It gets disheartening, but I know that if I'm meant to be with someone, it will happen. If not, I have my friends on here that know what its like to be a Disney nerd.... plus my DVC ;)

I cannot tell you if it will get better, as I have not seen that for myself, but it takes time to be comfortable with being alone. I think that, when that happens you will be ready and others will notice that too.

Good luck to us all!

Mickey'sIrishPAl
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I am a 26 year old woman and I have never been married. My last real relationship was about 5 years ago, and we were together 3.5 years. Since then I have graduated college, started my career as a nurse, and have started grad school. I have tried online stuff and it doesn't work out for me at all.

At this point, I am not even looking anymore. It gets disheartening, but I know that if I'm meant to be with someone, it will happen. If not, I have my friends on here that know what its like to be a Disney nerd.... plus my DVC ;)

I cannot tell you if it will get better, as I have not seen that for myself, but it takes time to be comfortable with being alone. I think that, when that happens you will be ready and others will notice that too.

Good luck to us all!

You sound so sad and I wish that this was not the case. I am new here and really have no "relationships" with anyone o this site although I look forward to meeting some great people who love Disney as much as I do.
I don't think that you ever have to "be comfortable with being alone" although I think that maybe you should be "comfortable with you before you can learn to be comfortable with others". Obviously after a break up, divorce, whatever the case, there is an instant issue of trust. When you no longer have a relationship and are seeking, most have issues with trust even though the significant other gives you no reason to distrust. this will take time. When you find someone special, you will know it, but don't stop trying to look. Love will not fall on your lap. Stay sweet and those out there will see the good in you (Alright I'm starting to sound like Yoda).

BTW-- I'm 36, male, 2 kids, and huge into sports, and I LOVE being a Disney nerd.

Sammyjo
10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
DisneyDudet how awesome of you. :thumbsup: I have been trying the online dating too with no luck.
It's all just a big frustrating mess. lol I go back forth on being okay and being lonely. I love coming here for a pick-me up. Disney makes me feel so good. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
10-27-2010, 10:43 PM
That is why I go so much! I get my escape!

I am not sad. I'm quite ok. I'm over being sad. No reason to sit around and sulk over someone not liking me. That isn't my problem... they have every right not to like me. I look back and think that I have turned down dates with people who I know I would not jive with... that makes me realize that I am also choosing not to date, sometimes. And thats ok. I look out for number 1 and do what I want to do.

Besides... I love going on vacation... so... that's what I do with my free time!

Disney Hungarian
10-27-2010, 10:50 PM

I am not sad. I'm quite ok. I'm over being sad. No reason to sit around and sulk over someone not liking me. That isn't my problem... they have every right not to like me. I look back and think that I have turned down dates with people who I know I would not jive with... that makes me realize that I am also choosing not to date, sometimes. And thats ok. I look out for number 1 and do what I want to do.

Besides... I love going on vacation... so... that's what I do with my free time!

Bravo! Well said!!

Disney4us2
10-30-2010, 12:52 PM

It is the same for me too. I have never been married (maybe someday). When I was in my 30's, I was dating a lot. I was going to get married, but he got sick with a terminal brain tumor:(

I didn't feel lonely for companionship, but I did feel that tugging to be a mom. I set out to become a mom in my early 40's and after two years of trying and 2 IVF's I finally became a mom. My DD is going to be 11 in just a month. I still don't feel the need to date(and don't have the time for it), and I really don't want to bring someone into DD's life. At least without a background check.

We are both Disneylovers, and go to Disneyland almost every Saturday. She has been going since she was 15 months old getting her first pass at the age of 3. I just bought into DVC and that will be passed on down to DD so she can continue her Disney vacations.

Do I wish I was married..... Yes. Would I change anything....No I have no regrets in my decisions. If and when someone comes along, I guess that will be the right time. That person would have to LOVE Disney though:thumbsup:

DisneyPryncess
11-28-2010, 10:28 PM
You sound so sad and I wish that this was not the case. I am new here and really have no "relationships" with anyone o this site although I look forward to meeting some great people who love Disney as much as I do.
I don't think that you ever have to "be comfortable with being alone" although I think that maybe you should be "comfortable with you before you can learn to be comfortable with others". Obviously after a break up, divorce, whatever the case, there is an instant issue of trust. When you no longer have a relationship and are seeking, most have issues with trust even though the significant other gives you no reason to distrust. this will take time. When you find someone special, you will know it, but don't stop trying to look. Love will not fall on your lap. Stay sweet and those out there will see the good in you (Alright I'm starting to sound like Yoda).

BTW-- I'm 36, male, 2 kids, and huge into sports, and I LOVE being a Disney nerd.

Wow, that was really well said!
I'd love to meet a disney loving guy but if it doesn't happen I will still make the very best of all the good things I have in my life now!
I'm 36 and a proud disney nerd, too!!!
:mickey:

Tiggerlovr9000
11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
My ds had a bad breakup this summer. They were together 3.5 years and engaged. He is 24 and feels like he will never find anyone to marry. He just started grad school and is thinking of quitting. I know it is because he is lonely. I worry about him constantly. I try to say all the right things but he doesn't believe it. He is only 5'1'' and thinks that is his problem. That's not going to change so he better get used to his height. Told him that no one is okay with all their physical traits. He did ask one girl out but she cancelled their date at the last minute and now he is gun shy..I know I can't fix it but it hurts to watch your child hurt..