PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone purchased a one-way and then...

natstroop
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Has anyone purchased a one way ticket for the way there because of a good price and then waited for a good deal for the way back and purchased another one-way from Orlando? I've been watching prices for awhile and the prices for the trip down have gone down considerably, but not for the trip back. I don't ever fly, so I'm wondering if would work to buy the tickets for the way down and then wait for the prices to drop for the way back? Has anyone ever done this?

Suz36
09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Yes, I've done this and not had a problem. In fact, right now I am in the same situation as you - the flight home was really cheap, so I bought it, and am waiting for the flight down to drop in price.

KylesMom
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
We've done it as a family the past couple of years without problem. It also helps spread out the cost of the flights. :mickey:

IrishMickey
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
We did this for our current trip because when are vacation ends it is the last weekend before Christmas and ticket prices are very high and they probably will not drop, so we are just renting a car and driving home!

TiggeRia
09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I do this all the time--it used to be cheaper to fly round trip, but I think anymore it's cheaper to by two separate one way tickets because you are able to shop around and wait for a better deal. I've never had an issue doing this.

brownie
09-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy a round-trip and not use the return flight, as opposed to buying a one-way ticket.

faline
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
On an upcoming trip, I have one-way tickets on two different carriers at two different airports. I'll be heading to Orlando on one carrier at one airport and coming home on a different carrier to an airport that is not the same as the I left from.

ILoveLegos
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes I've bought one-way tickets, but witrh a different strategy. I've taken the one-way down and not had a return home ticket. When I decide I'm ready to come back I've bought a round trip that matched my anticipated next time down though (so it could be as much as a few months later). It's much cheaper than an open ended ticket that way. Of course I've needed an adjustment trip one-way once or twice when my schedule changed - but change fees are cheaper than last minute tickets - so it works out.

LandFan
10-01-2010, 12:08 PM
We do this a lot too! We like the flexibility it gives us when shopping for prices. Especially when one flight might be on a holiday or something where the price might be really high and we want to wait a while on that one but the other one is nice and low...

Belle619
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I haven't done this for a Disney trip, but I have often done this in the past to see my sister and her family in Chicago. Round trip flights from where I am are in the $500 range, but I can sometimes get two one-way tickets (sometimes on different airlines) for $119 each. It really may be a cheaper option these days.

DizneyRox
10-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I always buy one-way tickets. I do this to leverage the Southwest DING fares in my favor, although maybe they changed their system with respect to DING fares.

On SW, you need to use a special URL for the DING fares and that used to not allow you to alter one leg of the trip to use a DING fare leaving legs without a DING fare intact.

So now, we get each leg on a seperate reservation, it doesn't hurt (except EB could end up costing you more if you don't do non-stops, etc).

iheartdisney
10-04-2010, 10:41 PM
If I bought a one-way ticket to WDW I'd never buy the return ticket home!

mudpuppysmom
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
If I bought a one-way ticket to WDW I'd never buy the return ticket home!

I love that sentiment!!!

We always buy one way's and I play the system too.....when a DING comes one, that is when I plan our trip.....is that sad to say I plan my trip around airfare?!?!?