PDA

View Full Version : navigating orlando airport

lynnek
09-28-2010, 08:16 AM
those of you who rent vehicles--we've decided to rent a car for our upcoming trip in November--our first trip to WDW--so I've made that decision. Now, I have a couple questions about the Orlando airport. I am travelling with my husband and three children. One is in a stroller and car seat. DS is 12, DD1 is 10, DD2 is 2.5.(I think that's how you write it:) I am a frequent traveller, my husband is not. When travelling by plane, I like to have him sit separately--usually in the seat in front of DD2 in case of kicking. For day to day things, getting around, myself and the three kids are an efficient team. They don't second guess me, we don't have the paralysis-analysis effect, which can be helpful, but is time consuming. For disembarking, I prefer to send DH on his way to get the car, disembarking as a single passenger is always more efficient. I like to wait until the plane is mostly empty, so not to hold up other passengers while dealing with things like car seats. Then there is the getting the stroller, getting the child in the stroller, having to find a bathroom because somebody always has to go etc--all things that don't bother me in the least, but do stress DH out a bit. I would like to get the baggage and meet him after he has gotten the car. Some of the rental places say they are onsite, but to me, having to take DD2 back out of the stroller, deal with it and the carseat, plus luggage to get on a small bus to go get the car isn't good. If he goes to get the car, is it easy enough to get back to baggage claim at Orlando? Are certain car rental places easier in that respect? I have no problem getting to curbside with baggage and kids etc. to meet him. Thanks for your input!!

Ed
09-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Lynne, you're in luck. Within the last few months, all of the major car rental companies (and a handful of the lesser-known ones) have moved their offices and their fleets into the airport, and the shuttle buses are a thing of the past, except for a small number of very small rental companies.

All of the rental counters are on the first floor of the airport, and all of the companies are represented on both the "A" and "B" sides. Once the paperwork is completed, it's a short walk across the roadway into the garage where you pick up the vehicle.

From there, it's simply a matter of driving out of the garage and following the signs to the "Arrivals" level of whichever side (A or B) you are waiting with the kids and the baggage.

When it comes time to go home :( , the return process is just as easy. You can either drop the bags and passengers on the Departures level and follow the signs back to the garage, or take everybody to the return area and make the short walk to the terminal.

:car:

Scar
09-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I've used it a couple times and it is unbelievable easy and efficeint. The only thing I would add is one time there was a backup on the return and it took about 15 mins or so for someone to check the car (damage and gas) and give me a receipt.

mudpuppysmom
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
We are a family of two adults and two kids......so we're minus one of your little ones, but I think my DH makes up for that as he never travels.

We usually sit midplane.....disembark as we normally would with the rest of the passengers (when it is your aisle to get off). We all stop at the restroom (the second one, as the first stop is usually packed). By the time we get to bag claim our luggage is sometimes there and if not within a minute or two....DS1 and I get the bags and shore them up for easy transport and then we start our walk to the National area.....no wait at the counter, just go get your car (we use Emerald Aisle)....this is a VERY quick trasition from the plane thru the airport and into the car. We can usually be on our way out of the airport in around 30 minutes and that is from plane to drive out -- we are on the move to get our vacation started!!

If you don't want to go with National, I'm sure what you propose will work very efficiently, however sometimes the rental agency wants both driver licenses for the contract, so that might slow you down a bit unless your DH is the only driver.

Don't stress this small part of the vacation.....you sound like you are very efficient at moving the family around......you'll do fine!

Enjoy your vaca!!

lynnek
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm relieved to hear the rental counters are in the terminal!! Perfect!

As far as using Disney Transportation, we probably will as well. Our kids really fall into two different age groups being 12, 10 and 2. From reading lots of info here, I am assuming my 2 yr old will need an afternoon nap. According to my husband, a good vacation always has an afternoon nap planned in. Those two will go back to the resort via rental car when needed, preferrably before one of the two of them melts down:D Myself and the older two will continue on with whatever park we are in, go back to the resort via Disney transportation for a swim prior to dinner. We have chosen the DxDP and have booked ADR's at resorts as well as the parks. Not having to go from our resort to a park, then to the other resort is a plus for us. Also, We use the sitdown meals as a break to get off our feet, cool down etc. but do realize it eats into time. There are other things like a quick trip outside the park, spa services, that we have planned, that work best with our own transportation.

Checkers
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
:mickey:Just a suggestion here. You could use Magical Express and then rent a car (at the DTD Car Center or at the Dolphin hotel) for your length of stay then your luggage will be automatically transported to your resort and you would only have to deal with the car seat and the stroller which you can take on the bus with you (driver will store it under bus). On return you can use the Resort Airline Check-in if you are using a participating airline and just reverse the procedure. We have done this many times in the past.

lynnek
09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
We did consider that option--getting a car on Disney property. We will be arriving on a Friday, early evening, with an ADR planned for a bit later at Animal Kingdom and Magic Hours until 8 there. After that, I am planning to be dropped off at the resort with DD2 while DH, DS and DD1 go off property. Getting the car at Orlando Airport is then easier--although I think a bit more $$ because of airport tax. I'm not worried about dealing with bags etc. I had just been told that is was quite difficult after one got their rental car to get back to arrivals; so I put it out there for you all. So glad I did!! When I first started planning this--didn't even know what Food and Wine was--now I'm thrilled we will be there for the last weekend!

Canuck Park Hopper
09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
... speaking of gassing up a rental car prior to dropping it off: where is there a convenient fill-up station prior to getting to MCO?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
09-29-2010, 08:52 AM
... speaking of gassing up a rental car prior to dropping it off: where is there a convenient fill-up station prior to getting to MCO?

Thanks in advance.

Glad you mentioned that.

:nono: DO NOT :nono: gas up at any station near the airport that does not have their prices prominently posted and visible from the street!! There are several unscrupulous stations near the airport that do not post their prices anywhere except on the pump itself, and dozens of folks are shocked to find that they have just pumped their rental car full of $5.00 + per gallon gas. And it's perfectly legal!

The rental companies only require that the fuel gauge reads "F" when you return the car. If you gas up five miles or so away from the airport, it will still read full when you get to MCO.

magicofdisney
09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Glad you mentioned that.

:nono: DO NOT :nono: gas up at any station near the airport that does not have their prices prominently posted and visible from the street!! There are several unscrupulous stations near the airport that do not post their prices anywhere except on the pump itself, and dozens of folks are shocked to find that they have just pumped their rental car full of $5.00 + per gallon gas. And it's perfectly legal!

The rental companies only require that the fuel gauge reads "F" when you return the car. If you gas up five miles or so away from the airport, it will still read full when you get to MCO.
Agreed. I almost discovered this the hard way. I pulled into one of these stations and had the nozzle engaged when I happen to read the ppg. I immediately unplugged and drove 2 blocks down the road where the ppg was half the previous station. Seriously, it was only a couple of blocks away.

paragon
10-01-2010, 09:12 AM
We almost always rent a car. I find MCO to be one of the easiest airports to deal with car rentals. The counters are directly across from where you pick up your car, so its actually quite easy to do. There are also several seating areas in the same area as the rental counters, so you could possibly sit comfortably with your children while dad gets the car. Actually, what i find the most difficult at MCO, is the walk from the gate, across the middle lobby, and then the wait for the trams.
One other small annoyance to me is the ultra fast talking rental agents. By the time you;re done, you've agreed to several upgrades and options you originally didn't plan on.
One other quick tip, some rental companies offer PRE PAID, gas fill, which works well.

Seasonscraps
10-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Glad you mentioned that.

That's awful!!

We usually fill at one of the Hess Stations on Disney property - we have never been charged a fuel surcharge.