PDA

View Full Version : Segway company owner dies in Segway accident

Melanie
09-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Thought I'd post since Segways are in use all over Epcot. How ironic and sad!

CNN.com

Segway company owner dies in apparent Segway accident

(CNN) -- The owner of the Segway company has died, apparently in an accident involving one of his upright two-wheeled vehicles, police in England said Monday.

The body of James Heselden, 62, was pulled from the River Wharfe in northern England on Sunday, police said.

A Segway-type vehicle was recovered from the river, police said.

The incident is not thought to be suspicious, police said.

Heselden's family said in a statement that "there is absolutely nothing to suggest it was anything other than a tragic accident.

"Our family has been left devastated by the sudden and tragic loss of a much-loved father and husband," the family said. "The exact circumstances of the accident are still being clarified and will, of course, be the subject of an inquest."

Heselden was the chairman of Hesco Bastion, a company that manufactures protective walls used by military troops. He also owned Segway Inc.

Hesco Bastion confirmed "with great sadness" that Heselden had died "in a tragic accident near his home."

It hailed his charitable work, saying that a donation of 10 million British pounds (nearly $16 million) to a local foundation earlier this month raised his lifetime charitable giving to 23 million pounds (over $36 million).

The British veterans' charity Help for Heroes was another beneficiary of his donations, the company statement said.

DizneyRox
09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah, i had to read the story to make sure it was on a Segway and not some other type of scooter. That's not going to be good for business!

Salesman1: No, really, they ARE safe! Where are you going? Come back!

Salesman2: (Calling back perspective buyers) Did I mention our new promotion? We're practically giving them away!

Great little machines, but not for everyone. Hopefully it's not some sort of malfunction, there's a lot of policemen out there on these those things!

joonyer
09-27-2010, 04:58 PM
If you drive it off the edge of a cliff, it doesn't really matter how safe the vehicle is. Most vehicles, from bicycles to buses, are not really designed for that.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Just to clarify; this wasn't the guy from NH who designed them. This gentleman only bought the company about a year ago. It's a tragedy either way. My sympathies to his family and friends.

DizneyRox
09-27-2010, 07:02 PM
If you drive it off the edge of a cliff, it doesn't really matter how safe the vehicle is. Most vehicles, from bicycles to buses, are not really designed for that.

I'm pretty certain he didn't mean to drive it off a cliff, so well have to wait and see if there was some malfunction. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney suspend tours until there are answers on why this happened.

Maybe he was suicidal and he did drive it off a cliff, in which case they can continue the yours.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe he was suicidal and he did drive it off a cliff, in which case they can continue the yours.

I bet your aren't the first one to think that! A co-worker asked that same question a short time ago. Hopefully not.

MNNHFLTX
09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Just to clarify; this wasn't the guy from NH who designed them. This gentleman only bought the company about a year ago. It's a tragedy either way. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Yeah, I did a double-take when I first heard this story, wondering if it was Dean Kamen (the inventer of the Segway) that had passed. Still, such a sad story for the gentleman who had bought the company. :(

Scar
09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I read in another article that he was testing a new off-road model, not the regular Segway.

DizneyRox
09-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I read in another article that he was testing a new off-road model, not the regular Segway.

There already is an off-road model, they use it at Fort Wilderness. If it really is a brand new experimental model, that would be different of course.

By regular Segway, you mean the on road ones I assume.

joonyer
09-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I don't think it has been shown that this was intentionally driven over the cliff (suicide), but it still could very well be accidental without being any fault of the machine, i.e. not paying attention to where you are going, I mean like that doesn't regularly happen when humans operate motor vehicles.

Even if there was a malfunction with the machine, how hard is it to get off a Segway that is headed toward a cliff? it's not like you are strapped in. I think it would be an easy choice between throwing yourself on the ground rather than ride it over the edge.

Scar
09-28-2010, 09:37 AM
There already is an off-road model, they use it at Fort Wilderness. If it really is a brand new experimental model, that would be different of course.

By regular Segway, you mean the on road ones I assume.

Here is the guote from the article I read. I assumed "testing" meant "still working on it."

He was reportedly testing a cross-country version of the upright, two-wheeled scooter when he plunged from the cliff.

Jim&AngieMarriner
09-28-2010, 09:49 AM
First let me say that I feel bad for his familiy. Any death is difficult to cope with when its close to you.

Some of this isnt passing the common sense test. Testing off road ability... ok no problem. Company owner TESTING a product? starting to get a bit away from common sense. Not testing in a controlled environment.... Really getting away from common sense but ok you are going for realistic conditions. Testing it anywhere near a cliff? Come on now.

I find it more likely he took one camping or something because he could as the CEO. Took it somewhere where he should never have been and had the accident. Being the CEO no one could really stop him from doing what he wanted to do. My one hope is that he wasnt drinking or worse. That would likely negate any life insurance he had.

Let me now put on my asbestos suit and get ready to be flamed.

diz_girl
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I did a double-take when I first heard this story, wondering if it was Dean Kamen (the inventer of the Segway) that had passed.

When I first saw the headline, I thought about Dean Kamen too. My next thought was, "Oh, the irony." But my thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Heselden's family.

It won't stop me from taking the Segway tour the next time I'm at WDW (and not pregnant at the time).

joonyer
09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
It won't stop me from taking the Segway tour the next time I'm at WDW . . . .

And there are no cliffs in Epcot. :)

BrerGnat
09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
He wasn't a young guy. Perhaps he suffered a heart attack or stroke or something. I find it hard to believe that someone NOT suicidal would just ride a Segway right over a cliff. Something must have happened to him to prevent him from just jumping off.

:(

brownie
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Before declaring the Segways unsafe, I think we should wait for more information from the investigation. It could have been a medical issue, operator error, intentional, or a mechanical problem. It seems like the focus is being put on the Segway itself.

Dznygrl79
10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
What a terrible accident.I pray for his family. I have only been to River Wharfe once and it is large but I do not remember any cliffs. The water looked rough and the edge was unsurfaced but there are trails and bridges.